Hi, check out my model of the Earth :)

Dimensions: 28 x 28 x 28 studs
The base sphere is generated by Bram's Sphere Generator

The Earth

Wow! I was sceptical when I saw the title in the scale modelling forum but it really is Earth. What is the scale? :classic:

I'd love to know a bit more about your process designing and making this like how you mapped the land masses onto the sphere and chose the colours. I'm guessing dark green is jungles?

As for the build are the exposed studs a visual choice or are they needed for structural purposes? Did the sphere generator include the internal structure? Even if it's hollow it must weigh a bit.

Thank you for sharing your work :thumbup:

Thank you! :sweet:

@ukbajadave I was not sure to put it in this category but I couldn't find better fit.

If I calculate correctly, the scale is 1 61 259 615 (the model has 0.208 meters diameter, the Earth has 12 742 000 meters).

I generated the base sphere using Bram's Sphere Generator. The result is 6 identical shpere pieces. Then I got screenshots of globe from 4 different angles + 2 poles in orthographic projection (using this). Then it was easy to map the correct positions of continents with the colors like on satellite view (yes, dark green parts are rain forests). I had to build the internal structure by myself but that was quite easy, using mostly bricks with studs on the sides.

Exposed studs are mostly just representing some roughness of surface like mountains (and in case of dark tan I just didn't have enough tiles :D )

here is the example of mapping process:

46322154254_2767ce2c49_z.jpg

I'm considering making the instructions since I have almost the whole model already in 3D.

Biggest build ever, the entire world! But seriously, good job. It's quite impressive you got the map represented so accurately.

Thank you for your comments :] I have also the source files from MLcad so I might share them or try to do some simple instructions.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:58 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Looks great! All it needs is a death star in orbit built to the same scale!

Haha :grin: that's an interesting idea... but I did some math and the Death star in the same scale would have diameter of 0.3 studs...

The Moon seems to be more feasible on the other hand.

15 minutes ago, thire5 said:

Haha :grin: that's an interesting idea... but I did some math and the Death star in the same scale would have diameter of 0.3 studs...

In that case, just go with Starkiller Base! :rofl:

Thank you for your comments :sweet:

On 2/20/2019 at 1:10 AM, nigel1975 said:

This is really nice work and thanks for the explanation on how you projected the continents. Any plans to make a globe stand?

I had that in mind. I was thinking about using 2x this piece to make a holder but my globe is too big for it. Maybe I will find another way.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:41 AM, AllanSmith said:

Is New Zealand on it?

Haha, sure, I didn't forget it :laugh:

I don't know - your "model of Earth" is - to me - so much more than that. When I saw it the first time, I was … overwhelmed. Much more than that. It is not "just" the LEGO bricks. It is more. The colors. The details. The missing parts that you turned into the way she really looks.

This is the most beautiful LEGO model I have seen in my life.

Thank you very much for sharing.

All the very best,
Thorsten

Thank you guys for the comments!

@Toastie oh, thank you for such strong feelings about my model :grin: 

I really didn't expect so many positive reactions.

This is looking really incredible :-) It doesn't seem very complex but it is great idea and it is nicely presented. I can imagine having this model on a display in my office or apartment.

Incredible, blocks to sphere is great but with the earth on top the effect is fantastic 

Thank you for your comments :]

@Banzayn Im considering making the instructions :) but I have other projects that I want to finish soon. 

That's a fascinating way to plan out your creation. I love the fact that you use both studs and tiles.