Feng-huang0296

Help creating a turntable?

I was unsure where to put this, so since it's for part of a layout I figured Town. 

So, I want to build a more-or-less circular 'turntable' divided into sections of more-or-less equal size, each containing a vignette. It's going to end up on a shelf, so the idea would be that I can turn it around to see each part of it without having to take it off the shelf. 

But for the size I have in mind - don't know the exact dimensions yet, but I estimate a 32-stud diameter - I'm worried that a standard 4x4 turntable subassembly won't be enough to support the weight. So I'm asking Eurobricks; what can I build, legally, that will support this much weight and still be able to turn smoothly?

Have a look at 42082, its turntable is 21L large and can support a lot with great stability.

You might be able to adapt the curved roller coaster track as well or even bigger, train track. 

If you do not need it to be attached, you could build a Lazy Susan out of (2) x784 and ~42 soccer balls or basketballs; but if you are looking to buy x784, you are probably better off buying the entire set that it came in due to the current cost.

23 hours ago, TimeCruiser said:

If you do not need it to be attached, you could build a Lazy Susan out of (2) x784 and ~42 soccer balls or basketballs; but if you are looking to buy x784, you are probably better off buying the entire set that it came in due to the current cost.

Actually, kinda do need it to be attached to a base . .

On 2/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, Johnny1360 said:

You might be able to adapt the curved roller coaster track as well or even bigger, train track. 

This is the best idea I've heard so far, and some tests I've done using parts from my Pirate Roller Coaster seem to confirm. Thanks! I think I'll go with this. 

Cool I was thinking also maybe use a large turntable with gears on friction pins in the center, to help support the weight and supply friction so it doesn't spin too easily. 

LEGO just released new cogwheels this year as well , just to give an idea. (Both parts found in 70828)

6238330     6258385

Edited by TeriXeri