Sign in to follow this  
Scene

[MOC] Cruiser

Just spent the last couple of days coming up with this concept:

Starcruiser 01

I'm still undecided on what to classify it as. I'm torn between Explorer/Research Cruiser or Luxury Space Yacht. Either way, I had quite a bit of trouble getting the front end completed, and tbh I'm still not entirely happy with it.

I wanted something that could have accessibility, but previous ideas just looked wrong. The current frontend reminds me somewhat of Spae 1999, but being a stickler for accuracy there's just too many structural gaps.

Anyway, current features include:
- Front opening top and bottom hanger doors
- Dual minfig cockpit (opening), that in turn lifts forward to gain access to the lower deck engine room.

Still a WIP and needs some refining (especially thr front end imo), and at some point I will readjust the design using any unavailable pieces, then throw it up on Rebrickable.

The orginal idea came about when playing around with the skylight and door frames. The mid section is basically a mish mash of influences from the films Silent Running and Black Hole. Overall I kind of relate this ship to the description of the luxry cruiser Ford Prefect mentions in Restaurant at the End of the Universe.... Moves like a fish, steers like a cow

Edited by Scene

This looks fantastic! My first impression on seeing the render was "space yacht," so you've certainly captured the look of a luxury vessel. It sounds like it has some nice play features, and the angled wondows allow for good visibility inside.

One thing I might recommend is some sort of ventral protrusion to balance out the dorsal cockpit. It might help to make it look like the engines' thrust vector passes through the ship's center of mass.

She's a fine looking ship and I can't wait to see more pictures!

Thanks!

I did actually think about how the propulsion worked, I've since added an image of the the interior engine room. It has 4 internal engines which I would like to think of as futuristically advanced to be so small to chuck out enough power to warrant 4 large and 2 huge exhausts ;)

Edited by Scene

6 hours ago, Scene said:

I'm still undecided on what to classify it as. I'm torn between Explorer/Research Cruiser or Luxury Space Yacht.

The great thing about luxury space yachts is they can be boarded by pirates. But little do they know that a couple of undercover Space Police agents are on board. From there the story sort of tells itself.

So...I guess my vote is for space yacht!

Great design BTW.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:02 AM, danth said:

The great thing about luxury space yachts is they can be boarded by pirates. But little do they know that a couple of undercover Space Police agents are on board. From there the story sort of tells itself.

So...I guess my vote is for space yacht!

Great design BTW.

Thanks! I'm going to go for Luxury Starcruiser.

I made some alterations to the design mainly to cater for part availability, but I actually think it looks better. Ill be uploading to Rebrickable and might submit to Ideas (although at this point in time I feel its a waste of time for fictional space related ideas; they just don't seem to hold interest):

Starcruiser 01

Edited by Scene

This is a good-looking build.  I like the colors and the overall shape, and I agree that it looks more like a luxury yacht than a research vessel.  I think it needs some work before you think about uploading it to Ideas, though.  First, it uses obsolete parts, particularly hinges.  Those would be replaced by modern hinges in the Ideas design process, but it's probably a good idea to use modern parts now so that it looks like you've thought a bit more about what this would be like as a retail set.  Second, it has virtually no interior furnishings.  I would expect a production set with that much interior volume to be absolutely packed with furnishings and play features, especially one derived from such an AFOL-centric source as Ideas.  Third, I don't see any techniques for structural stability, such as Technic frames or braces.  The glazed center section looks especially fragile.  Rebuilding this around a sturdy Technic frame would also help you get ideas for what furnishings and play features can fit in the interior, and how best to incorporate them.  Take all these comments with a grain of salt, since I certainly haven't built anything this large and complex in Studio, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.  Good work, and good luck.

Nice looking.
The version with the central hull windows in white kinda got me thinking it could be a medical ship.

That's a pretty novel format for a starcraft! :thumbup: :sweet:

I've had a similar such idea myself for a spacecraft, though it'd be modeled after eighteenth century sailing craft rather than a modern-day cruise-liner. Thereby, I had the idea of a spacecraft with pretty much the same format (bridge located at the rear of the craft, windowed hull), but at its sides would be several rows of large, angled solar panels emulating the windsails of eighteenth century watercraft. :shrug_oh_well: