Sign in to follow this  
Roadmonkeytj

[MOD / MOC] The Zoo Train (updated)

So I figured I would share my "story" of the zoo train.  

One of the couples in my LUG have a lovely zoo layout they display.  In chats we have talked how they want to add a rail way to their layout and include a train with excursion cars.  Well one night I felt inspired and designed a open car.  well you have to have something to pull it so … while looking through light rail photos I came across a photo of a CP Huntington.  My mind said that looks familiar - so I pull up the Holiday Train … Huh pretty close.  I remember seeing this thing at our local zoo so I search photos of the local zoo train and what do ya know its a CP Huntington.

So I originally recolored the holiday train but was not happy with it because "steam trains should have RODS!" so a search brought me to "THIS" thread.  I went through the trouble of verifying the colors in brick and amassing a bricklink order.  luckily I didn't pull the plug that night and buy the bricks lol.  as I'm looking at this I say … its not right … the zoo train is smaller.

ZooTrain.lxf

So I build it smaller and in its correct configuration (Tender attached).  While fairly happy with the rough draft I could not get it easily motorized and looking right.  

ZooTrainv2.lxf

So I go back to the Holiday train . . . I pulled the front end off and reworked the rear then installed the Battery box on board like the real CP.  so now I have a full sized engine that I'm happy with. However it wont track around curves as I cant go around standard Lego curves its useless to me … a redesign of the rear truck was in order.  The tender actually swings out away from the track in a curve now with a double jointed system keeping the rear truck inline.  I will know how well this works once assembled in brick but its no different than other truck designs I've seen here however as its not driven by the actual Driving wheels and instead by the front truck (MOTOR) I think it should be ok.  

ZooTrainv3.lxfZooTrainv4.lxf

Also I reworked the last cars on the first two to include the rear facing seat that is popular at a few of the larger surrounding zoos. All three have a similar boiler arrangement.

ZooTrainR.lxf

… And Just for Posterity here's all three.  I kept the reworked Caboose cause its "cute" even though I wont run it. 

ZooTrain3.lxf

I know I mentioned in the other thread but This will be Powered Up driven the PF battery is just a place holder! there is a channel under the floor board and a slot just in front of the battery for the motor wire to come up through and be plugged in.

Thanks for viewing comments and criticisms are welcomed!

Update!

A member of my LUG expressed interest in this train as I had not built it yet. So I figured I would share a couple of WIP shots ... They are waiting fora BL order for the azure pieces and a couple other parts so some of the pieces are just place holders.

RenderedI15863173831

Very nice! It's really fun to see the evolution of your Zoo train and how it's come along, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in bricks!

The Train Motor should definitely be strong enough but I do worry that your locomotive isn't heavy enough to provide good traction. You might want to see if you can fit one of these inside your boiler to help add some weight over the motor!

A simpler solution would have been to use the flangeless driving wheels then the loco would effectively be 2 bogies as far as track holding wheels, and would have no problem going round corners.

1 hour ago, Daedalus304 said:

Very nice! It's really fun to see the evolution of your Zoo train and how it's come along, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in bricks!

The Train Motor should definitely be strong enough but I do worry that your locomotive isn't heavy enough to provide good traction. You might want to see if you can fit one of these inside your boiler to help add some weight over the motor!

Thanks! Unfortunately the interior is made up of angular plates.   I have filled all gaps in the boiler with brick so she's not hollow.   I'm hoping it will do alright seeing as the holiday train is lighter (less bricks)  and pulls about the same no issue...  The open cars are pretty light weight lol.   I'm looking forward to it as well! 

1 hour ago, Redimus said:

A simpler solution would have been to use the flangeless driving wheels then the loco would effectively be 2 bogies as far as track holding wheels, and would have no problem going round corners.

But then it might miss a pump lol

I will keep that in mind should the current set up not work out so well so thanks! 

Just now, Roadmonkeytj said:

But then it might miss a pump lol

I will keep that in mind should the current set up not work out so well so thanks! 

That's a fair point, could be interesting to see a solution to that, although I think it might be more work than is entirely necessary, lol.

Update!

A member of my LUG expressed interest in this train as I had not built it yet. So I figured I would share a couple of WIP shots ... They are waiting fora BL order for the azure pieces and a couple other parts so some of the pieces are just place holders.

RenderedI15863173831

On Thursday, February 07, 2019 at 11:58 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

… a redesign of the rear truck was in order.  The tender actually swings out away from the track in a curve now with a double jointed system keeping the rear truck inline.  I will know how well this works once assembled in brick but its no different than other truck designs I've seen here however as its not driven by the actual Driving wheels and instead by the front truck (MOTOR) I think it should be ok.  

My concern with this design is that you will find the battery to be a counter weight and lift the front truck/drive wheels off the track. The WV holiday train is so short the enough weight is on the front to provide enough traction for such a short train. I made one of mine 4 studs longer and had to put a 2x6x2 boat weight in the boiler above the motor and still it has a hard time with a consist longer than 3 cars...easy wheel spin because there is still not enough weight over the drive wheels. 

You might want to try making it appear the engine and tender are connected, but have the motor under the tender and the battery above it. This will ensure you have plenty of traction.

That's a cute little train, I love the "all-in-one" solution for locomotive and tender together, it reminds me of old wooden and tin Toy Trains!

Small wagons are amazing, especially the roof is spectacular!

Only two things:

- it seems that the rear bogie is as big as the PF Motor in the front, I'd try to put the motor under the battery and make the front bogie smaller and swinging.

- It is the perfect train for Powered Up system - so you won't need any receiver. Plus, the battery box is white and is color-matching :laugh:

A zillion of thumbs up! :laugh:

On 8/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, ALCO said:

I made one of mine 4 studs longer and had to put a 2x6x2 boat weight in the boiler above the motor and still it has a hard time with a consist longer than 3 cars...

Thanks! I will definately pass this along.  The "wagons" are fairly light so hopefully it wont be an issue there but if it causes trouble it can be swapped.

3 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

seems that the rear bogie is as big as the PF Motor in the front, I'd try to put the motor under the battery and make the front bogie smaller and swinging

Thanks.  I'll be sure to update as it goes

On 8/4/2019 at 8:12 AM, ALCO said:

You might want to try making it appear the engine and tender are connected, but have the motor under the tender and the battery above it. This will ensure you have plenty of traction.

Another vote for the battery and motor in the tender. Personally I like to see motor power the drive wheels but if that's not possible the tender is next best. Pulling from the front bogie seems weird and probably presents some unique design challenges. 

I absolutely love your design and work so far! The canopy on the cars is my favorite part so far. 

Edited by sed6
cnat spele

8 hours ago, Modeltrainman said:

Wow! This is interesting! It's practically a flipped arrangement from my latest project!

Thats why it was easy to give you advice lol

2 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That's a lovely engine and a great design for the cars too. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed!

Thank you ... Me too

2 hours ago, sed6 said:

Another vote for the battery and motor in the tender. Personally I like to see motor power the drive wheels but if that's not possible the tender is next best. Pulling from the front bogie seems weird and probably presents some unique design challenges. 

I absolutely love your design and work so far! The canopy on the cars is my favorite part so far. 

I did up a version 3 last night with the motor under the tender ... Only a few parts changed honestly as the rear truck was built the same size as the front.  So if its an issue It can be remedied easily.

I really like the cars as well.  Its actually a good representation.  The LUG member did not know my main inspiration was our local zoo and they were looking up reference pictures as they were building it and mentioned it really looks quite similar.  Of course i had to change some colors as there are not officially parts that color.