StarBricks

SB00301 B-PROJECT (MOC Resistance Bomber UCS)

As usual, instructions arrived in super quick time.  Fun now starts, sorting through my inventory.  Definenlty buy the 75188 set.  Manage to snag one for £60 and thats about 20% of the pieces and the mini figures.  Better be quick though, since not surprisingly, a lot of sales have gone through in last 2 weeks.  Instructions have a good section on substitutions for the rare parts.  I currently have about 45% of the parts from the 75188 set and my inventory.  Hoping that I'll be closer to 60% by the time i finish sorting and then onto Bricklink.  Despite the number of different parts, you can probably get away with ordering from 4-5 different sellers, (assuming you have no parts) which keeps cost down.  I think I'll be able to get away with 2 large orders.

16 minutes ago, Lahh001 said:

As usual, instructions arrived in super quick time.  Fun now starts, sorting through my inventory.  Definenlty buy the 75188 set.  Manage to snag one for £60 and thats about 20% of the pieces and the mini figures.  Better be quick though, since not surprisingly, a lot of sales have gone through in last 2 weeks.  Instructions have a good section on substitutions for the rare parts.  I currently have about 45% of the parts from the 75188 set and my inventory.  Hoping that I'll be closer to 60% by the time i finish sorting and then onto Bricklink.  Despite the number of different parts, you can probably get away with ordering from 4-5 different sellers, (assuming you have no parts) which keeps cost down.  I think I'll be able to get away with 2 large orders.

Great! Update us and let me know what you think of the build

To repeat what the others have said--the instructions arrived quickly and they are beautiful. 

For those of you who are curious, the parts are about 15.2 lbs. or 6.8 kg. 

I can't wait to start building.  I hope to finish this weekend.  

If you have a used the file to create a B-project wanted part list in Brickilnk - is there an easy way to mark down the pieces that come in the 75188 as on hand in that wanted list? Thanks!

Can't wait to get a hold of the instruction package!  Put in my request for order a week ago on Mirko's site and have not heard back. 

Ordered my light package from Brickstuff after putting in my instruction request and it was shipped same day.  Great folks there.

2 hours ago, karmajay said:

If you have a used the file to create a B-project wanted part list in Brickilnk - is there an easy way to mark down the pieces that come in the 75188 as on hand in that wanted list? Thanks!

Would like to know this as well. Also curious if anyone knows of any other sets that comprise a decent portion of the required pieces?

6 hours ago, karmajay said:

On BL it is not such easy - I am always using rebrickable.com. There you can also compare MOCs or sets with sets. Then you can upload the difference to Bricklink again.

On rebrickable you can also do a mass edit of the list.

34 minutes ago, Mr Ogel said:

On BL it is not such easy - I am always using rebrickable.com. There you can also compare MOCs or sets with sets. Then you can upload the difference to Bricklink again.

On rebrickable you can also do a mass edit of the list. 

If I can afford to give you some advice the best things to do are these:
1) create the wanted list on bricklink
2) manually delete or update the number of pieces that can be recovered from set 75188
3) manually delete or update the number of pieces that can be recovered from the bulk you have at home
4) evaluate which non-visible red parts can be replaced with other pieces you have at home and delete them or manually update the wanted list
5) check and place a first order on the LEGO site (pick a brick service) to retrieve the available parts
6) update the wanted list by deleting the pieces ordered with pick a brick
7) order the remaining pieces in the wanted list on your favorite bricklink shops

I use this system that guarantees me order and avoids making mistakes in ordering the parts.

I hope it is useful

1 hour ago, StarBricks said:

If I can afford to give you some advice the best things to do are these:
1) create the wanted list on bricklink
2) manually delete or update the number of pieces that can be recovered from set 75188
3) manually delete or update the number of pieces that can be recovered from the bulk you have at home
4) evaluate which non-visible red parts can be replaced with other pieces you have at home and delete them or manually update the wanted list
5) check and place a first order on the LEGO site (pick a brick service) to retrieve the available parts
6) update the wanted list by deleting the pieces ordered with pick a brick
7) order the remaining pieces in the wanted list on your favorite bricklink shops

I use this system that guarantees me order and avoids making mistakes in ordering the parts.

I hope it is useful

Hi Mirko, principally that's a good approach. As I am colecting Lego and Lego Star Wars for more than 20 years now of course I want to recover parts from my collection.  But with rebrickable you can save a lot of manual work

image.png.b86310408bfc0d1f30f11a992ffa16b4.png

Yeah rebrickable all the way. I’m always surprised how few people know how to use such a powerful tool

7 minutes ago, Mr Ogel said:

Hi Mirko, principally that's a good approach. As I am colecting Lego and Lego Star Wars for more than 20 years now of course I want to recover parts from my collection.  But with rebrickable you can save a lot of manual work

image.png.b86310408bfc0d1f30f11a992ffa16b4.png

Yes, of course. I must say that I find it very relaxing to go in search of parts in bulk ... it's a bit like going mushrooming! That's why I always prefer to do it manually.

5 minutes ago, LDigital said:

Yeah rebrickable all the way. I’m always surprised how few people know how to use such a powerful tool 

It depends on the needs .. Personally dismembering a set makes little sense because the value of the pieces that you can recover is generally lower than the value of the set itself. At home I mainly have sets from the Star Wars collection and I would never dismember them to recover parts.
In the case of the 75188 set I bought 2 boxes. I mounted one and one I used to build the MOC.
However I agree with you that Rebrickable is a very powerful tool.

Mirko....

There are no words to describe this project but I will try with my initial reactions. EVERYTHING is top quality. Magnificent. Bar none. Perfection. This exceeds official LEGO in every manner and then some. I scrutinized every print, every page, all the stickers; nothing is lacking. The extra tips and advice to help with the build are welcome and concise. The last time I've been so excited about a LEGO project is the 75192 Falcon.

Parts hunting begins now. Going to sift through my own unorganized pieces first... then to the Bricklink. I'm not sure how one is supposed to shop at the LEGO pick a brick site without being able to upload a file? I will skip them unless someone knows how to do that better.

Also by the way guys... if any of you have the Finch Dallow minifigure sw1005, he sells for $400 give or take. Personally, selling my Finch and buying the standard Resistance Bomber Pilot (Item No: sw0861) is a great way to fund the B-project.

image.png.f43ac62d3a595191ac04a24456554a15.png

Edited by baublitz
adding info about Finch Dallow

57 minutes ago, baublitz said:

Mirko....

There are no words to describe this project but I will try with my initial reactions. EVERYTHING is top quality. Magnificent. Bar none. Perfection. This exceeds official LEGO in every manner and then some. I scrutinized every print, every page, all the stickers; nothing is lacking. The extra tips and advice to help with the build are welcome and concise. The last time I've been so excited about a LEGO project is the 75192 Falcon.

Parts hunting begins now. Going to sift through my own unorganized pieces first... then to the Bricklink. I'm not sure how one is supposed to shop at the LEGO pick a brick site without being able to upload a file? I will skip them unless someone knows how to do that better.

Also by the way guys... if any of you have the Finch Dallow minifigure sw1005, he sells for $400 give or take. Personally, selling my Finch and buying the standard Resistance Bomber Pilot (Item No: sw0861) is a great way to fund the B-project.

The LEGO pick a brick site is a manual process.  If I were you and you have the official bomber released by LEGO, start adding those parts to the list of parts you have.  Next, go through your own inventory (assuming you don't want all new parts). After you go through your own parts, you can use the pick a brick website to identify parts from the wanted list.  Pick A Brick online doesn't have all the pieces. In some cases the parts are not reproduced anymore or they are simply sold out.  After you go through pick a brick, be incredibly methodical about the parts you have vs what you need. Also be very careful about the color names on the Pick A Brick website compared to BrickLink or Rebrickable.  For example - Medium Stone Gray is really Light Bluish Gray.  If you're feeling brave, you can use the Lost Bricks and Pieces to find more rare parts. But this requires you to know which part the set came from and it limits you on the number of parts you can purchase based on the set they came with.  This is a good alternative to finding parts that may be "sold out" on the pick a brick online.  Then, buy the remaining pieces on BrickLink.  It sounds way harder than it actually is.  Buying bulk on LEGO for parts that requires large quantities of parts (2 x 2 curves for example) are almost always cheaper on the Pick a Brick wall online.  Plus, if you order is over 35 - you can take advantage of free shipping.  You can also earn VIP points on your order. (This excludes missing bricks and pieces however). 

If you have questions, feel free to ask. 

1 hour ago, baublitz said:

Mirko....

Hi Baublitz thanks for the compliments. It's really nice to receive positive feedback from those who appreciate my hard work.
Regarding the collection of parts I recommend that you take a step on "pick a brick" of the LEGO site. It is not possible to load the parts list but usually the most common parts can be found there and can be purchased in large quantities.
To do the research I suggest you open the wanted list in bricklink and order the pieces according to the code number.
So you will be quicker to check the parts and based on the number you will be able to see if it is present in the "pick a brick" and possibly what colors are available.
It is an operation to be done with patience but by buying the pieces directly from LEGo you can save a lot of money.
Thanks again and have fun!

10 hours ago, StarBricks said:

Hi Baublitz thanks for the compliments. It's really nice to receive positive feedback from those who appreciate my hard work.
Regarding the collection of parts I recommend that you take a step on "pick a brick" of the LEGO site. It is not possible to load the parts list but usually the most common parts can be found there and can be purchased in large quantities.
To do the research I suggest you open the wanted list in bricklink and order the pieces according to the code number.
So you will be quicker to check the parts and based on the number you will be able to see if it is present in the "pick a brick" and possibly what colors are available.
It is an operation to be done with patience but by buying the pieces directly from LEGo you can save a lot of money.
Thanks again and have fun!

for PAB in germany - use the brickhunter tool. You can upload your bricklink wanted list and the tool shows you all the available parts @ PAB/ SuT. You can choose the Parts you want to buy and the tool create the shopping cart. Easy way to order all parts in five minutes.

1 hour ago, Fuchs said:

for PAB in germany - use the brickhunter tool. You can upload your bricklink wanted list and the tool shows you all the available parts @ PAB/ SuT. You can choose the Parts you want to buy and the tool create the shopping cart. Easy way to order all parts in five minutes.

yep:

1 hour ago, Fuchs said:

Hi Fuchs, very interesting. Thanks for the tip! I did not know this tool. It all gets a lot easier then.

4 minutes ago, Mr Ogel said:

yep:

Great!! A thousand thanks!

5 hours ago, Fuchs said:

Great! It has the USA option too, I really appreciate it. I'm on part 80 or so out of 500 so that was going to be a long haul. I'm still going to go through them because I need to pick through what I have. That tool is excellent.

7 hours ago, StarBricks said:

Hi Fuchs, very interesting. Thanks for the tip! I did not know this tool. It all gets a lot easier then.

Great!! A thousand thanks!

3 hours ago, baublitz said:

Great! It has the USA option too, I really appreciate it. I'm on part 80 or so out of 500 so that was going to be a long haul. I'm still going to go through them because I need to pick through what I have. That tool is excellent.

I'm not familiar with this tool but it sounds interesting. I did a quick lookup on the thread and there is however some concern about affiliate links. I would caution both of you to read up on the Terms of Service to that app before recommending it to people. There is questions as to whether or not you can disable the affiliate links and or if you still get credit for purchases through the LEGO VIP program when clicking links from affiliates. While I think there's a feature to disable that, I wouldn't blind trust that at face value. 

@StarBricks Can you verify the length of wire for the lower cool white for the hatch in the bomber. Ive tried several ways on how it can be connected, and it's not my first rodeo with lights, but the wire provided in the kit 7.8 cm, 3 in, is just too short. A 15 cm would be adequate for that area. I just wanted to get your input as I've spoke with others who have purchased the kit and have the same length wire.

@StarBricks  Hi Mirko, I got the email from you on the 10th indicating that you were going through your backlog of emails and replying in order.  However, I haven't heard anything else since and it has been around 9 days.  Not to be pushy, but I was just wondering how big the backlog is?   I hope I am not too far behind the rest of the folks that I will be looking for the scraps left on Bricklink.  Regardless, looking forward to building this thing. 

On 11/18/2021 at 7:24 PM, lego_tactics said:

@StarBricks Can you verify the length of wire for the lower cool white for the hatch in the bomber. Ive tried several ways on how it can be connected, and it's not my first rodeo with lights, but the wire provided in the kit 7.8 cm, 3 in, is just too short. A 15 cm would be adequate for that area. I just wanted to get your input as I've spoke with others who have purchased the kit and have the same length wire. 

Hi Lego_Tactics, I have checked and indeed you are right. It's not brickstuff's fault. It was my mistake in transcribing the final list of components. I wrote the length of 7.6 cm instead of 15.8 cm. I must have got confused when doing the inch to cm conversions. Thanks for your report. Already all new kits have been updated with the correct length cable and don't worry; for the few kits that have been sold, I will send the cable of the correct length at my expense. Again I apologize for the mistake.

40 minutes ago, MSY-MSP said:

@StarBricks  Hi Mirko, I got the email from you on the 10th indicating that you were going through your backlog of emails and replying in order.  However, I haven't heard anything else since and it has been around 9 days.  Not to be pushy, but I was just wondering how big the backlog is?   I hope I am not too far behind the rest of the folks that I will be looking for the scraps left on Bricklink.  Regardless, looking forward to building this thing. 

Patience, padawan. Mirko has a life on top of this.  Took about 8 days here for what it’s worth between those emails.  After payment I think I had the instructions in like 2 days though (from Italy to Maryland.).

42 minutes ago, MSY-MSP said:

Hi MSY-MSP, sorry for the delay but I am trying to do things very calmly so as not to make mistakes in shipments.