StarBricks

SB00301 B-PROJECT (MOC Resistance Bomber UCS)

ski speeder perhaps? I can't think of anything more "balancing exercise" than that

Thinking Ski speeder as well or swoop bike from Han Solo.  Not long to go.  Release day is also my anniversary and this year its my 10th anniversary.  Don't tell the wife, but I probably look forward to this day much more because its Mirko's birthday and reveal of his new model!

16 hours ago, Lahh001 said:

Thinking Ski speeder as well or swoop bike from Han Solo.  Not long to go.  Release day is also my anniversary and this year its my 10th anniversary.  Don't tell the wife, but I probably look forward to this day much more because its Mirko's birthday and reveal of his new model! 

Hahaha ... yes your wife better not see this post! :-) Thanks anyway for your waiting .. In the previous answers no one has come close to find out what it will be ... :-)

On 1/12/2022 at 12:01 PM, StarBricks said:

... it was a balance exercise ...

The AT-ST Raider from S1:E4 of The Mandalorian.  Anything I've tried building beyond the official Lego play scale versions of the AT-ST are very tricky to keep balanced, hence "it was a balance exercise."

Edited by mink66

On 2/4/2022 at 1:21 PM, mink66 said:

The AT-ST Raider from S1:E4 of The Mandalorian.  Anything I've tried building beyond the official Lego play scale versions of the AT-ST are very tricky to keep balanced, hence "it was a balance exercise."

I was close with this guess!  :)

4 hours ago, mink66 said:

I was close with this guess!  :)

You were, well done!

Thank you Mirko! What a build.  This was well worth the wait.  This surpasses the U-Wing and Tie Silencer.  The technic structure to support the ship on the stand is ingenious and is very sturdy.  My only comment would be less studs please.  I like ships that have as much SNOT (Stud not on top) as possible to give that flush look.  I will add tiles and slopes where applicable for my personal preference.  That is about the extent of my moc skills.  Next is K-2SO!  Almost have all of the pieces.  

image0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lahh001 said:

Thank you Mirko! What a build.  This was well worth the wait.  This surpasses the U-Wing and Tie Silencer.  The technic structure to support the ship on the stand is ingenious and is very sturdy.  My only comment would be less studs please.  I like ships that have as much SNOT (Stud not on top) as possible to give that flush look.  I will add tiles and slopes where applicable for my personal preference.  That is about the extent of my moc skills.  Next is K-2SO!  Almost have all of the pieces.  

image0.jpeg

Hi Lahh001 I am happy that you have completed the MOC and that you enjoyed it. As for studs, I think it's a matter of personal taste. I have always considered the stud to be a distinctive element of the LEGO building system and personally I like to see it. This is why in my MOCs I don't mind it being in sight here and there. However this is a subjective opinion.
Great job anyway and thanks for the positive feedbak!

Heya, 

still gathering all the pieces from my big pile of bricks.

Are the black technic pieces replaceable with other colors?

Are the 2X6 bricks replaceable with 2X 2X3 bricks (still sturdy enough then?)

Edited by unclejeffie

On 5/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, unclejeffie said:

Heya, 

still gathering all the pieces from my big pile of bricks.

Are the black technic pieces replaceable with other colors?

Are the 2X6 bricks replaceable with 2X 2X3 bricks (still sturdy enough then?)

If you mean the black brick technichs I would say that in principle you can replace them with other colors (except those that can be seen when you open the side doors of the bomb bay).
As for the 2x6 bricks I would say that they can be replaced with other 2x2 - 2x3 - 2x4 bricks because I usually use them in the filling areas or, in the case of the black ones, in the contour areas of the base. In the base you can also use longer bricks such as 2x8 and 2x10. However, I always recommend that you take a look at the construction phases first in order to realize the pieces that you can replace. Remember, however, that bricks are almost always present in the store of the LEGO site and you should buy them there because you can find large quantities.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, billdozer said:

Wonderfully fun build, Mirko.  Thank you for giving me an enjoyable winter-time activity.  Bombs away! 

bomber1a.jpg

bomber3a.jpg

Good job! I hope all the steps were clear and simple.

Well done to everyone who has completed the project so far. I’ve downed tools and nearly quit a couple of times trying to work out how to order the parts online. Perhaps I bit off more than I can chew when I’m unfamiliar with spreadsheets, app extensions and Lego (my experience being limited to building a couple of Lego Friends sets with my daughters!). Nevertheless, I think I’ve got my head round it now, but have a few question if I may. Happy to do by DM if folk prefer, rather than cluttering up this feed with my asinine queries.

1. Are used parts ok? – With a view to recycling, I thought I’d buy used parts. I imagine Lego bricks maintain their colour stability well. Is this right? Or will I end up with a hodge podge of mismatches. I think if there’s one or two poor bricks I could put them on the reverse side to which the bomber will be viewed.
  2. Bricklink auto create cart – I thought I’d buy from stores within the UK as I don’t know how customs charges will add up. When I create carts I get a price. If I click auto-create carts again immediately afterwards, I get a different price. A third time, a different price again. These refreshes are seconds after the previous calculations. How reliable is Bricklink in creating carts? Or should I do some sort of manual intervention?
  3. Was the sticker for the base plate in the instructions or extra (like the lights)? I can see the unique tile in the box, but no sticker (I’ve given the instructions a shake to see if its wedge in amongst the pages).
  4. I thought I might add a splash of yellow alongside the blue tiles to give it a bit of a Ukraine insignia as a nod the events in the year it is built (assuming I get it done in the next six months!). For those who have built it, where would you think replacing a few blue tiles with yellow ones would work best? Top of the fuselage, bottom near the bomb bays etc? Or do you think maybe just order some extra yellow tiles and play around with it?

Thanks for your time, and congratulations to Mirko on a great service and an instructions set that is a coffee table book in and of it’s own right.

Hi William_Marshall - welcome to EB!

As a fellow UK'er my thoughts on your questions 1 and 2 having started in the same place as yourself a few years ago;

1. Used parts are normally ok, unless your building a white model (its usually the first colour to fade somewhat) and don't mind some minor scuffs etc.  Most BL sellers list anything significantly marking pieces they sell, and as you say you can always use them to their "best side".  I only buy new parts if I absolutely need pristine finish (e.g. a new white model), want to be sure any transparent parts are in good shape or for recent parts not available in sufficient used quantities. 

2. If you leave the carts created from the first auto create and then re-run it, it will not empty the first carts so then looks for the parts with the remaining sellers (ignoring the sellers and parts from round 1 which the system things are being bought and hence not available), hence a different outcome in terms of shops and price.  In effect by re-running it the second time, your excluding the first pick of sellers, likewise if you run it a third time without clearing out the 1st and 2nd you then are trying to find the parts from yet another selection now without the 1st and 2nd set of sellers.  Hope that makes sense.  Best to re-do any wanted list / auto create cards and always check you have emptied existing carts.  Whilst I do use the Wanted List and auto select feature I ways manually check the carts and do tinker about with them to make the fit better on minimum buy limits, P&P etc, it's not always major changes but can prove beneficial especially for larger orders. 

Not bought this MOC so can't comment on 3 and 4 which I will leave to others.

Best of luck - great idea on 4 - plus it makes it your own version. 

PS - people are very supportive and patient on EB so don't worry about asking for help - once you hit 10 posts you can PM (I think its 10) so by all means reach out if you ever need to ask anything.

Edited by Hold0511

3 hours ago, William_Marshall said:

Well done to everyone who has completed the project so far. I’ve downed tools and nearly quit a couple of times trying to work out how to order the parts online. Perhaps I bit off more than I can chew when I’m unfamiliar with spreadsheets, app extensions and Lego (my experience being limited to building a couple of Lego Friends sets with my daughters!). Nevertheless, I think I’ve got my head round it now, but have a few question if I may. Happy to do by DM if folk prefer, rather than cluttering up this feed with my asinine queries.

1. Are used parts ok? – With a view to recycling, I thought I’d buy used parts. I imagine Lego bricks maintain their colour stability well. Is this right? Or will I end up with a hodge podge of mismatches. I think if there’s one or two poor bricks I could put them on the reverse side to which the bomber will be viewed.
  2. Bricklink auto create cart – I thought I’d buy from stores within the UK as I don’t know how customs charges will add up. When I create carts I get a price. If I click auto-create carts again immediately afterwards, I get a different price. A third time, a different price again. These refreshes are seconds after the previous calculations. How reliable is Bricklink in creating carts? Or should I do some sort of manual intervention?
  3. Was the sticker for the base plate in the instructions or extra (like the lights)? I can see the unique tile in the box, but no sticker (I’ve given the instructions a shake to see if its wedge in amongst the pages).
  4. I thought I might add a splash of yellow alongside the blue tiles to give it a bit of a Ukraine insignia as a nod the events in the year it is built (assuming I get it done in the next six months!). For those who have built it, where would you think replacing a few blue tiles with yellow ones would work best? Top of the fuselage, bottom near the bomb bays etc? Or do you think maybe just order some extra yellow tiles and play around with it?

Thanks for your time, and congratulations to Mirko on a great service and an instructions set that is a coffee table book in and of it’s own right.

#3. Sticker and limited edition tile is included with the book as long as you bought it first hand or from someone that never used the book to build the set with the stickers/limited edition tile. 

There a some sellers selling just the book itself without the stickers/limited edition tile since they used it to build their set. 

Edited by Sine qua non

19 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

2. If you leave the carts created from the first auto create and then re-run it, it will not empty the first carts so then looks for the parts with the remaining sellers (ignoring the sellers and parts from round 1 which the system things are being bought and hence not available), hence a different outcome in terms of shops and price.  In effect by re-running it the second time, your excluding the first pick of sellers, likewise if you run it a third time without clearing out the 1st and 2nd you then are trying to find the parts from yet another selection now without the 1st and 2nd set of sellers.  Hope that makes sense.  Best to re-do any wanted list / auto create cards and always check you have emptied existing carts.  Whilst I do use the Wanted List and auto select feature I ways manually check the carts and do tinker about with them to make the fit better on minimum buy limits, P&P etc, it's not always major changes but can prove beneficial especially for larger orders ...

Thanks, that's all helpful and reassuring. I tried running Auto-Select as you suggested and got the same cost, item count and site count three times, so that seems to have sorted it. Some suggestions are below Min Buy so I imagine I'll need to create carts and then try manually consolidating them to see where that gets me. Slow and steady wins the race lol. 

16 hours ago, Sine qua non said:

#3. Sticker and limited edition tile is included with the book as long as you bought it first hand or from someone that never used the book to build the set with the stickers/limited edition tile...

Thank you. It was purchased direct from Mirko by me. I've been pretty meticulous when I've opened the package on a clear desk the few times I've had it out. I'll see if I've somehow got it mixed up in the box of the 75188 Resistance from when I built that, or if it's wedged in amongst the page leaves of the instructions. 

19 minutes ago, William_Marshall said:

Thanks, that's all helpful and reassuring. I tried running Auto-Select as you suggested and got the same cost, item count and site count three times, so that seems to have sorted it. Some suggestions are below Min Buy so I imagine I'll need to create carts and then try manually consolidating them to see where that gets me. Slow and steady wins the race lol. 

Thank you. It was purchased direct from Mirko by me. I've been pretty meticulous when I've opened the package on a clear desk the few times I've had it out. I'll see if I've somehow got it mixed up in the box of the 75188 Resistance from when I built that, or if it's wedged in amongst the page leaves of the instructions. 

Yup min buys can sting you, plus some BL shops have minimum average price per lots or sell parts in lots of "x" and x can be sometimes 10 up to 100....always worth doing some cart reviewing manually.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, William_Marshall said:

1. It´s  helpfull to have 75188 for the "special parts"

2.many parts like tiles are cheaper @lego.com (with the brickhuntertool you have an easy way to compare the prices between lego.com and bricklink);e.g. Part 88930 only a few bricklink seller have the required number

3 used parts are O.K. for many areas (use the manual); personally I use "new parts" for the outside - tiles and slopes)

4. good luck and have fun fun fun

On 6/22/2022 at 7:58 AM, Fuchs said:

1. It´s  helpfull to have 75188 for the "special parts"

2.many parts like tiles are cheaper @lego.com (with the brickhuntertool you have an easy way to compare the prices between lego.com and bricklink);e.g. Part 88930 only a few bricklink seller have the required number

3 used parts are O.K. for many areas (use the manual); personally I use "new parts" for the outside - tiles and slopes)

4. good luck and have fun fun fun

Thanks. The BrickHunter extension is impressive. Adds another layer of complexity to working things out, but I like it. Finally feel I've got my head round what I need to do. Working out what duplicates I need in some other colours for a couple of tweaks as either a riff on the Ukraine theme or part availability. Also, if anyone else can't find their stickers, mine were wedged in the the spine between the cover and first page. They didn't fall out when I shook it and I've only just found them. 

On 6/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, William_Marshall said:

Thanks. The BrickHunter extension is impressive. Adds another layer of complexity to working things out, but I like it. Finally feel I've got my head round what I need to do. Working out what duplicates I need in some other colours for a couple of tweaks as either a riff on the Ukraine theme or part availability. Also, if anyone else can't find their stickers, mine were wedged in the the spine between the cover and first page. They didn't fall out when I shook it and I've only just found them.  

Hi William, one piece of advice I can give you about finding parts is this: LEGO.com has greatly enhanced the "Pick a Brick" service for purchasing parts in recent months. I believe that 80/90% of the parts can be purchased directly from the LEGO.com site and if you consider that the shipping costs are free above a certain amount, that is very interesting. In fact, with Bricklink you are forced to make many orders to buy all the parts and you have shipping costs for each order.
With the "Pick a Brick" instead you will have a single order and all the new parts.
The only cumbersome thing is that you have to manually enter the part numbers for the search and in some cases the part numbers of "Bricklink" do not correspond with the part codes that you find on "Pick a Brick".
If you do not find a piece on the "Pick a Brick" it will be sufficient to open bricklink and check if the piece has alternative codes to look for. In 90% of cases you will find the part.
Hope I've been of help and have fun!

7 hours ago, StarBricks said:

Hi William, one piece of advice I can give you about finding parts is this: LEGO.com has greatly enhanced the "Pick a Brick" service for purchasing parts in recent months. I believe that 80/90% of the parts can be purchased directly from the LEGO.com site and if you consider that the shipping costs are free above a certain amount, that is very interesting. In fact, with Bricklink you are forced to make many orders to buy all the parts and you have shipping costs for each order.
With the "Pick a Brick" instead you will have a single order and all the new parts.
The only cumbersome thing is that you have to manually enter the part numbers for the search and in some cases the part numbers of "Bricklink" do not correspond with the part codes that you find on "Pick a Brick".
If you do not find a piece on the "Pick a Brick" it will be sufficient to open bricklink and check if the piece has alternative codes to look for. In 90% of cases you will find the part.
Hope I've been of help and have fun!

As a additional tidbit - Lego.com isn't kind on packing - they tend to dump everything in one bag which makes brick counting tedious when your doing an inventory check - my last order - they missed a couple of things.

That said - yep - shipping is free when you reach a threshold.