joff-turbo-nova

"Open heart surgery" on a 12v motor

Last night I completed a refurbishment of a rather poorly 12v train motor.

The contacts had worn giving intermittent working and the bushes were squealing like a pig so it was time to open up the case...

First off made a jig to hold everything secure...

zJJ3Y7b.jpg?1

I used my scalpel to cut into the case as shown on the red lines here...

ZAa02km.jpg

Then flipped the jig over and pushed down on the axles which released the two halves of the case leaving this in the jig...

WBj8O6l.jpg

And the motor part in all its grotty glory....

A9b04yB.jpg

Took the metal blocks out and started stripping down the axles and motor - +30 years of grime....

e4Goqn8.jpg

Also noticed that a wiring disc had become unsoldered - another cause of the rough running...

rN5938b.jpg

The contacts were removed - you can see how uneven the wear has been...

T7f8YTZ.jpg

Got two bb53's from Bricklink specifically for their pickups...

nPRXbXO.jpg

And split them open...

RPm25cT.jpg

1poQcyX.jpg

The bb53 contacts have "nipples" on them which the motor contacts do not so these were filed flat...

hUGzVJa.jpg

After that everything was cleaned with methylated spirits , the wiring plate resoldered,  greased and reassembled....

ta5grux.jpg

Then glued and clamped..

MfgnqEj.jpg

And then after an hour taken for a test run....

https://i.imgur.com/CCPQZyD.mp4

I think the patient will live !!!

Joff

Edited by joff-turbo-nova
Pics not working

I have done this myself before (I didn't replace the contacts). I had to do this because one of the plastic pieces inside of mine happened to snap during shipping to me and it jammed the motor. Luckily the plastic piece wasn't exactly "necessary." So while I had it open I re-greased and cleaned the contacts, I have yet to glue my motor back together only because I don't want to have to crack it back open if something else goes wrong (they are getting quite old and brittle). Good ol' well applied clear tape does the job, however, you have to replace the tape every couple of weeks or so, I'll get around to making it all shiny and new one day ;).

-RailCo