schraubedrin

8081 - Extreme Cruiser - MODs and Improvements

22 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Looks great @johnnym.

Thanks! You made this an easy mod for me as I only had to change a few things.

22 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I like the slant back version of your truck, but the heads of the rear seat occupants may be a little uncomfortable.

Indeed, especially when the car turns over. Maybe they should be removed for safety reasons. :laugh:

7 hours ago, johnnym said:

Thanks! You made this an easy mod for me as I only had to change a few things.

Indeed, especially when the car turns over. Maybe they should be removed for safety reasons. :laugh:

Or, the passengers could just wear helmets. :grin:

I resurrected my work on this last night using LDD. I may still come up with a modern version of this myself. 

it’ll take time though

I made some shots to show off some tyre variations. I also made a colorful red version of the 8081 in light of @Madoca 1977's recent vintage monster truck with that cool color gradient.

So here we have Fischer Technik tyres on LEGO rims on the red 8081 and the same tyres as before but on different rims on my mod of @Thirdwigg's 4x4 mod of the 8081 (the idea is from @HorcikDesigns and the look from the side is great IMO):

01.JPG02.JPG

The Fischer Technik tyres on LEGO rims also look cool on this one, they have good size and proportions:

03.JPG04.JPG

Some more ideas to share with the Lego set 8081 suspension that I have designed and tested.. Its the same independent double wishbone setup with a limited Live axle support which the Lego 8081 uses but with wheel hubs to use the bigger tires and rims. The limited live axle is different from the Lego set 42099 4x4 Control+ which supports full live axle with independent on top of that. On the Lego 8081, when the front suspension hits max compression of the springs on the independent suspension, the axles then becomes a limited live axles that pushes the opposite wheel down or upward. On my set up I also converted the rear live axle to a full independent with limited live axle support and added AWD drive with 3 diffs. and a High/low gear to the fake engine. The transmission feels solid and very smooth to operate. i also have designs a removable rear shell so you can converts your SUV into a pickup truck.  Just like the old 1970's Chevy Blazer's and Ford Bronco's..  Here are some examples pictures to click on and a quick video of the setup. 

49133483631_e215f2abbe_k.jpgLego technic 8081 Suspension Mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49132992138_6aec38e3f9_k.jpgLego technic 8081 Suspension Mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49133483731_6ab7f994a9_k.jpgLego technic 8081 Suspension Mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49133675792_e52ecf7382_k.jpgLego technic 8081 Suspension Mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-deMEiNZl8

Edited by sirslayer

Just finished another MOD! After all the Defender talk a couple of months ago I finished a V-8 4x4 version after the Defender 110 pickup. I tired to keep the styling as close to 8081 as I could. Maybe someday I'll venture out a little more creativly. Enjoy.

49221917663_e6f4c14849_b.jpg

Topic here.

@Thirdwigg That came out very nice..   It looks like a truck version of the 8081 set!!!.. Great MOD!!!      My is almost finish...  It is based from the previous build on this thread.   I wish I didn't have to work today :( !!!