schraubedrin

8081 - Extreme Cruiser - MODs and Improvements

Hello everyone, this is my take on a manual Extreme Cruiser mod.  It's still a work in progress, but the chassis is done and I have ideas for the bodywork.  It's loosely inspired by the recent Jeep Gladiator pickup, hence the V6, live axles with AWD, short box, and upright windshield.  I first thought of having 4 doors, but that didn't really fit the scale without a wheelbase extension.  Going to work on styling the front end next.

8081_WIP01.jpg

8081_WIP2.jpg

3 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Hello everyone, this is my take on a manual Extreme Cruiser mod.  It's still a work in progress, but the chassis is done and I have ideas for the bodywork.  It's loosely inspired by the recent Jeep Gladiator pickup, hence the V6, live axles with AWD, short box, and upright windshield.  I first thought of having 4 doors, but that didn't really fit the scale without a wheelbase extension.  Going to work on styling the front end next.

8081_WIP01.jpg

8081_WIP2.jpg

Good start ??

9 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Hello everyone, this is my take on a manual Extreme Cruiser mod.  It's still a work in progress, but the chassis is done and I have ideas for the bodywork.

Looks promising and it's a pickup - really like it! I hope you'll participate in the TMC1 contest with that model. I already wrote it: it's gonna be a pickup fest! :sweet:

9 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

It's loosely inspired by the recent Jeep Gladiator pickup, hence the V6, live axles with AWD, short box, and upright windshield.  I first thought of having 4 doors, but that didn't really fit the scale without a wheelbase extension.  Going to work on styling the front end next.

Looking forward to the remainder of the body and maybe some more detailed shots of the suspension design? :classic: How's the articulation with those steering arms (pictures please :grin:)?

Thanks for the kind comments!  Yes, it's for the contest.  @johnnym I hope the following pictures help explain the suspension.  It's pretty simple, there are two 5L or 6L suspension arms parallel to each u-joint to locate the axle, and then two soft springs.  The articulation is pretty good at the wheels.

8081_suspension1.jpg

8081_suspension2.jpg

8081_suspension3.jpg

8081_suspension4.jpg

Made a lot of progress on the bodywork, it's almost done now :classic:.

8081_WIP3.jpg

8081_WIP4.jpg

16 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Thanks for the kind comments!  Yes, it's for the contest.  @johnnym I hope the following pictures help explain the suspension.  It's pretty simple, there are two 5L or 6L suspension arms parallel to each u-joint to locate the axle, and then two soft springs.  The articulation is pretty good at the wheels.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing the detailed photographs. If I ever change from the open frames with ball joint to "normal" frames on my off-road version, I think this would be the way to go.

16 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Made a lot of progress on the bodywork, it's almost done now :classic:.

Nice work and keeps the promises from your first pictures. Hopefully you'll also create a digital model. This pickup asks for motorization and I'd be willing to do that. :grin:

Here are some more mods and ideas to share for the Lego set 8081...   You can upgrade the V4 fake engine to a V-6 without any issues and a 2 speed transmission I've posted on this thread a few pages back.. check them out if you're a 8081 fan!!! 

and I also added a few kingpin inclined and positive castor suspensions WIP ideas .. feel free to expand your ideas on the Lego 8081 set!!! 

Lego technic 8081 modLego technic 8081 modLego technic 8081 modLego technic 8081 mod

Please @HorcikDesigns that is why I'm sharing these designs. :) I have a better design for the front axle that is closer to the original wheel base. They are in WIP at the moment but they are very close to what I expected on performance. 

The first picture is an example of the King Pin Inclination with the steering pivot towards to the center of the rims. With a straight inclination, the turning radius is being dragged by the tire and causing a bigger scrub vs a smaller scrub with the king pin inclination.  a smaller scrub has less wear on the rubber and better handling on corners 

The second picture is the castor angle, where a positive angle haves better control of the tire when you hit a bump on the road.. with 0 degrees angle (straight up and down castor) the wheel haves less stability when you hit a bump causing it wheel to steer left or right after the bump and therefore less control of you travel of direction.  The yellows arrows is where you can adjust the steering pins distance from the axles to provide adjustment to the center of the rear diff for more accurate Ackerman Geometry of the chassis to steering pivot. 

48964930703_94a10ebf58_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 mods by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

48965478081_444a9f25fb_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 mods by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

This Trophy Truck MOC is my version of the Lego set 8081 and its WIP at the moment and its motorized. I will plan to do a non motor version for the contest. This MOC has a shorter wheel base with 56mm tires and still using the original chassis from the 8081 and a Monster motor. Video is coming soon. 

49001801778_2df49ee225_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 MOC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49002545497_70ce3f5abf_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 MOC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49002347346_a25353802a_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 MOC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49002545962_c9f0c6f723_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 MOC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

Here is an example of my 8081 MOC wearing 49.5mm tires and full support suspension. Front suspension is a Fully independent with limited Pendular suspension used in Lego set 8081 even for an example. Rear suspension is a 4 point spring on a limited live axle. Heavy sprung to support batteries weight. Recommend to use bigger tires size 56mm or larger. 49.5 is just for a basic pickup truck with no suspension.  .. more on that later....  The motor in the driver seat is a Monster motor and ill have more on that later also :) 

49010344643_89560e27f6_k.jpgLego technic 8081 MOC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

Here is another update of my Lego technic 8081 MOC pickup truck.   This version is the Monster truck!!!  tell me what you think!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4fknZeHAzk/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28224690@N03/49019328893/in/dateposted-public/

49019849386_e5c87e1ecb_k.jpgLego technic 8081 MOC monster truck by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49019328893_c4dbd157ce_k.jpgLego technic 8081 MOC monster truck by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

17 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

Here is another update of my Lego technic 8081 MOC pickup truck.   This version is the Monster truck!!!  tell me what you think!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28224690@N03/49019328893/in/dateposted-public/

Lego technic 8081 MOC monster truck by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Lego technic 8081 MOC monster truck by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Are you sure? Looks like another model, far away from 8081)

Yes, its  the same chassis!!!!  Thirdwigg required red beams is in there and I shrunk the body and using modern parts..  The same chassis from the instructions .. The smaller body saves weight !!  and this is the 8081 mod page!!  and its an original design by me!! 

Edited by sirslayer

2 hours ago, sirslayer said:

Yes, its  the same chassis!!!!  Thirdwigg required red beams is in there and I shrunk the body and using modern parts..  The same chassis from the instructions .. The smaller body saves weight !!  and this is the 8081 mod page!!  and its an original design by me!! 

Victor it looks like you modded 8081 bodywork with 42093 parts to make classic pick-up.

Edited by I_Igor

The fenders from the Lego set 42098 Car transport would also work... and my model is in WIP after all..  The roof width is 13 L across, the body width is 15 L across and the length is only 1 L shorter then the original 8081, so adding a bumper puts me as the same size of the 8081 but the most important is the seats are the same size so therefore its the  same scale.. using curved fenders and some extra touches really modernizes  my version of the 8081. This is the only time to modernized the set and I really think its time to update the 1980's looks of the set.. :) 

49021267186_05230f4505_k.jpgLego technic 8081 MOC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49021470902_55e1e51a5b_k.jpgLego technic 8081 MOC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49021295261_18ca44931b_m.jpgdownload by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Nissan Xterra 

Edited by sirslayer

and I did post this a few months ago and @rm8 you said its ok..... 

IMG_20190904_035730

and his friend says its ok..  I thought my previous version was a little to wide at the hips .. The newest version is based from this 2 month old design..and it doesn't look like the vette so don't go there.  I like the idea of the contest to be on hold for the wait for a while to gain more attendance so I can upgrade the current build and having fun...   

Lego technic 8081 MODS

Edited by sirslayer

@sirslayer: If unsure about the scale of your mod - and to be completely honest, from the first two posts in this series with "small" wheels attached, it was really hard to see that this vehicle is nearly as big as the original 8081 as you wrote here - why not create a 8081 replica for comparison?

I recently purchased a complete 8081 set. I wanted to use this one for a family picture together with my other two 8081 mods. But instead of the original tyres and wheels I wanted to use the old 68.6 x 40 balloon tyres and matching rims (spray-painted black) for their looks. During planning the build I changed my mind, as I concluded that the setup (RWD, pseudo front independent and live axle) of the original 8081 wasn't enough off-road for these wheels. So I searched for a close alternative...

...and found it in @Thirdwigg's 4x4 mod of the 8081. Nice build and mechanics BTW.

Geez, that was the most complex front axle assembly I've had so far :classic:. Unfortunately I saw a lot of toe-out with the used wheels. This was so much, that it was hard to move the car forward. Not sure if I did something wrong during the build or if this is due to the other wheels. Anyhow I now use two rubber bands to have a slight toe-in, which at least allows forward-movement without much force but also hinders the steering. Well, it's not so important, as it's currently more of a display model. When I reached the steps where the body is built, I got the idea for a different body. And this is what came out:

01.JPG02.JPG

It's still a four-seater, but one with open cab and more angular body (i.e. like Bollinger B1/B2). The resulting body seemed familiar, maybe I've seen this in another 8081 mod or I had a Jeep in mind, don't know. I also changed the normal doors for tube doors. And to allow for more suspension travel at the front I also did remove two cylinders - but there's still more than enough (envisioned) power available. :wink: The fenders were extended by one stud on each side and the front bumper was removed. The front also changed a little: the grill bars are vertically aligned and it has four headlights.

03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG

The remainder is pretty much @Thirdwigg's 4x4, so therefore not for the contest, but just for fun. :classic: But still, here are a few comparison shots with my 8081 facelift:

06.JPG07.JPG08.JPG

Looks great @johnnym. I am glad my axles were helpful in your modification. I like the slant back version of your truck, but the heads of the rear seat occupants may be a little uncomfortable.

Yes @alecmo99 thank you ..    even though the body is different, the technic is still based off the 8081 and its all bolt on improvements !!

@johnnym Mod is define as modification and technically and mechnicly i've max out on the 8081 and the next logical steps is the body shape is next. my second model on this thread is based off the original design and i thought it look like a fat pig (cactus picture) ..  The 8081 design haves very good suspension and its a fine model. To be honest, I wish I have bought an original 8081 but building one from extras parts was almost good enough..  when it comes to design a modern 8081 to fit the year 2019 build, it seems like most of builders prefer to keep the old body design.  RM8 did a different body design and it accepted but if i done a different smaller design, only a few accepted.  @johnnym can you be honest and say your design would make a 2019 Car designer happy.. No , I don't think any of ours is close what a 2019 SUV should look like if you still to use the 8081 body..  The new Defender is different then the original and the 8081 of 2019 should follow also... The 13 l roof is the same as the 8081 and instead of fatten the body, keeping the 13 L roof width to match the body as best as i can trimmed off the extra fat and therefore the same seats and scaled is still the same.. who needs 2 1/2 L of space from door to car seat.. and if the 8081 is a real SUV in real life.. the real long doors and short hood and rear deck is odd looking beast.  I don't this there is a SUV with long doors with a short bonnet ??..  it would look like a circus car!! and its a 4 banger!!! Only small truck in America uses a 4 banger with one exception !! 

side note: imdesigner42 is only 13/15 wide like mine and his is acceptable??   i smell bias!!! 

Edited by sirslayer
spelling

The more I look at imdesigner42 model, I dont see a 8081 chassis when you look at the bottom view..  @johnnym your model, when I look at the bottom of your model, it does look like a 8081.. Can you please share on why imdesigner42 is acceptable and my version that haves a chassis 8081 in it is not??? We both are the same scale and size..  otherwise we dont have to build it out from a 8081 chassis as long it looks like it one?? very odd I think..   the smell of BS is strong so far...  

5 hours ago, sirslayer said:

can you be honest and say your design would make a 2019 Car designer happy.. I don't this there is a SUV with long doors with a short bonnet ??..  it would look like a circus car!!

Uh, the Toyota Land Cruiser? I always thought that the 8081 resembled one. Yes, I think 8081 is a bit simplified with only one door, but still, it'd be hard to get a second door in there considering the position of the mudguard.

day-exterior-4_202.png

1 hour ago, sirslayer said:

The more I look at imdesigner42 model, I dont see a 8081 chassis when you look at the bottom view..  @johnnym your model, when I look at the bottom of your model, it does look like a 8081.. Can you please share on why imdesigner42 is acceptable and my version that haves a chassis 8081 in it is not??? We both are the same scale and size..  otherwise we dont have to build it out from a 8081 chassis as long it looks like it one?? very odd I think..   the smell of BS is strong so far...  

I think it's the orange. Maybe you should stick to the original colours like everyone else has done.

Edited by Maaboo35

1 hour ago, sirslayer said:

@sirslayer: Sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about - also partly in your post before. I merely gave you an advice, how to easily find out and show the scale of your mod(s) compared to the original 8081. And I wrote about what I assumed might be the reason for the (at least for me) confusion about the scale - the small wheels on your car as presented here and here.

For reference, here once again what I wrote exactly:

On 11/6/2019 at 11:03 PM, johnnym said:

@sirslayer: If unsure about the scale of your mod - and to be completely honest, from the first two posts in this series with "small" wheels attached, it was really hard to see that this vehicle is nearly as big as the original 8081 as you wrote here - why not create a 8081 replica for comparison?

...still wondering what you read out of this.