schraubedrin

8081 - Extreme Cruiser - MODs and Improvements

1 hour ago, Arioh said:

[...] If anyone would be interested i will post pictures at evening. 

Sure, let' see! :classic: I'd be really interested in how the front independent suspension is done with the new parts.

On 9/5/2019 at 12:04 PM, johnnym said:

4WD (or AWD? what's the difference actually?)

AWD means that all wheels are always powered whereas 4WD means that you have the rear wheels always powered and if you have difficulties to go over an obstacle, you have to activate something to power every wheel.

By the way, it's a great mod, it make me think that it's the young sister of 42069 :wink:

Here is my subpar design of front axle using modern components, that could be find in most recent technic cars (like in 42077, 42096 and ect...) Its far from good as for me, but still allow to have suspension similair to original style.

IMG_20190908_190726.jpg

An LFX file with modifications (original set assembly showed in transparent color.

8081_modern_parts_suspension.lxf.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01gnk5qshd6aj6v/8081 modern parts suspension.lxf?dl=0

As in LDD impossible to compress  shock absorbers, it didnt allow to put one part (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=33299&idColor=86#T=C&C=11) in proper place. So in lxf it replaced with purple https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6632&idColor=86#T=C&C=24, but it just a  LDD error - in real build everything works totally fine.

Edited by Arioh

Well done! But you can also use 5L liftarms instead.

@rm8, use 5l liftarms as shock holder? Wouldnt it limit suspension travel? And i guess it impossible to remove toe out without total rebuild of whole front assembly with these suspension arms and steering rack?

Yesterday rebuilt rear suspension

Needed to move hog steering mechanism littlebit up

800x600.jpg

800x479.jpg

And then rear axle itself

800x1051.jpg

800x1067.jpg

Today made really independent front suspension

800x511.jpg

then also added some cooler (it was really missing there)

800x600.jpg

@arioh, what is the general look of the car with those big wheels on it? I might jump in this 8081 frenzy once i finish my GT3RS, but i dont have the appropriate tires, and the 42077 ones are the closes thing i have available

@vectormatic I almost finished it. Just unsure about rear axle...I didnt have that unimog's ball frame, thus im not sure if such design stressless and legal - using frictionless pin slack for getting more roll angle for rear axle. Photo below:

IMG_20190908_214246.jpg

If its okay, then tomorrow ill post my variant of it

Or how to better create compact live axle without that ball frame and keep 8081's axle mounting points intact? I cant move u-joint forward.

Edited by Arioh

@Arioh Looking good. At this scale you may not need a ball joint as the MOD will be smaller. See if you can get some ideas from this or this.

@Jurss I like what you got going on. I like the little fan, and the vertically oriented front shocks.  Are you keeping the same SUV type bodywork?

@Thirdwigg, so its okay to use slack in the parts to get additional degree of freedom?  Your mod with live axle on the links is nice, sadly, with modifications that i made - its impossible to fit longer driveshaft im my MOD, at least with massive frame redesign, taht i didnt want to make - i want to keep as much base frame unchanged as possible. Front axle that i posted above is example - it fits on place of default one, and approx same size, being just big larger, dule longer suspension arms and wheelhubs.

9 hours ago, Arioh said:

@vectormatic I almost finished it. Just unsure about rear axle...I didnt have that unimog's ball frame, thus im not sure if such design stressless and legal - using frictionless pin slack for getting more roll angle for rear axle. Photo below:

*snip*

If its okay, then tomorrow ill post my variant of it

Or how to better create compact live axle without that ball frame and keep 8081's axle mounting points intact? I cant move u-joint forward.

Wtf that's a genius idea. I'd totally call it legal, since standard solid axle suspension like seen in sets like 9398, 42005 and 42038 technically also use the slack in parts to move the suspension.

@Arioh Interesting solution.

13 hours ago, vectormatic said:

what is the general look of the car with those big wheels on it?

Should be OK, as they have the same diameter as thos baloon tires. I was even trying them, bet then it would be nice to lower the suspension, I suppose.

12 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Are you keeping the same SUV type bodywork?

At the moment yes, as I wanted to pay more attention to functionality. Yes, I have some panels in red, where there was black, as I just don't have them.

Edited by Jurss

@vectormatic, @Jurss, i would say that car look very good on such wheels, however on extreme steering angles and suspension compression there are some minor scrubs of bodywork,  guess on original set's ballon tires it would be less scrubbing. All suspension pieces i borrowed from 42077, and red wheels looks bold and eyecatching on it. Today evening ill post mine variant, after i cover holes in the floor, and add rear seats. Altrough is it would be better to post here, in contest topic, or create new one?

Edit - posted my MOD of 8081

Here is photo answer about 42077 red wheels on 8081.

IMG_20190909_203148.jpg

Edited by Arioh
Added info and link for the finished model.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, Touc4nx said:

AWD means that all wheels are always powered whereas 4WD means that you have the rear wheels always powered and if you have difficulties to go over an obstacle, you have to activate something to power every wheel.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, Touc4nx said:

By the way, it's a great mod, it make me think that it's the young sister of 42069 :wink:

Thanks! Actually it drives on wheels - already before I tried it with tracks and again since a while. Though it worked with the tracks, the one PF XL motor - or better my used gearing (40 teeth on motor to 24 teeth side of the center differential) - had a hard time to move all four tracks. On wheels and with fresh batteries it drives more like a buggy. I also tried with 24 (motor) : 8 : 24 (center diff) to improve climbing ability, but that actually performed worse than the other gearing, no idea why. Maybe just too many gears in the drivetrain then.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, Arioh said:

Here is my subpar design of front axle using modern components, that could be find in most recent technic cars (like in 42077, 42096 and ect...) Its far from good as for me, but still allow to have suspension similair to original style.

Ok, I actually thought you were referring to the 5L steering arms in:

...but that solution is also interesting.

Your 8081 mod is really cool looking! The big rims make it look smaller than it is actually. The fast back intensifies that even more. That design would fit my motor and (40 : 28 24 : [...]) gearing combination better than my "off road" one, I think. :classic: Looking forward to your digital version.

BTW, I used the same wheels from time to time on my 8081 mod, but with my currently used axle suspension, the truck is a little too high up for using these. And I also went for similar head lights since my first post in this thread, though I use the tinted ones (e.g. from the 8682 set).

On 9/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, Jurss said:

Yesterday rebuilt rear suspension

[...]

And then rear axle itself

Nice one, I like the simplicity of it. Say, how strong is it? Does it bend much when force is applied?

Edited by johnnym
correction

8 hours ago, johnnym said:

Does it bend much when force is applied?

What could be bending there?

OK, so all this activity has encouraged me to do another version. I am still working on the sport pickup, so you get two from me.

At what point does a MOD become a MOC?

48709237636_62f9e8ccee_b.jpg

I decided on a four door pickup, a la RR Defender 110, but I am not yet sure I like the styling. It just feels long to me. I want to move the rear axle forward and tuck it under the cab a little more, but that requires different doors and fenders which I am hesitant to do (see below). I may switch back to a single door pickup version a la RR Defender 90.

I have MODed 8081 a number of times, so getting the internals to work is not a concern; 4x4, live axles front and rear, V8, four blue seats. However, getting a different shape while keeping a consistent style will be key. Here are some essential design elements that I think need to be in every 8081 MOD.

Large Panel #17/#18 for hood and doors.
Red trim/stripes
Red Chassis
Liftarm fenders

Everything else is fair game.

Edited by Thirdwigg

@Thirdwigg  good question if its a MOC or Mod...    I just did a mini 8081 in the same scale as the Lego 42075 First responder and using the same 8081 chassis and made a smaller body by referring to the original 8081 and I've modded the heck out of Lego 42075  .. I would think my body design of the SUV is my MOC and the chassis is just the mod..  The arrows on my picture points to ...

A. Pug headlamp

B. B-pillar 

C. C-pillar 

D- Liftarms fenders ..

I believe these features are needed to make any 8081 at any scale.... I would like to hear your feedback!!??  

Lego technic 8081 mod

Edited by sirslayer

On 9/10/2019 at 7:04 AM, Jurss said:

What could be bending there?

You're using that ball joint with open frame - actually me too (both at front and rear) - and both "arms" of that open frame will slightly bend sideways e.g. when (1) they're part of an axle assembly and (2) when they're not "closed" with some other part and (3) force is applied vertically. At least that was the case for my earlier rear axle. It could of course behave differently in your case, as your shocks are placed closer to the wheels, mine were placed closer to the frame. They're still, but I closed the frame with same half beams.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Thirdwigg said:

OK, so all this activity has encouraged me to do another version. I am still working on the sport pickup, so you get two from me.

Wow, that will become a pickup fest! :laugh: With all the pickup versions in the pipeline I wonder if I should not also switch to a pickup body. :classic:

On 9/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Thirdwigg said:

I decided on a four door pickup, a la RR Defender 110, but I am not yet sure I like the styling. It just feels long to me. I want to move the rear axle forward and tuck it under the cab a little more, but that requires different doors and fenders which I am hesitant to do (see below). I may switch back to a single door pickup version a la RR Defender 90.

Nice one, too. looks equally promising than the other one! You elevated the roof - maybe a little too much? The front door looks very low because of that. Perhaps elevating the hood and the doors by one stud and add one stud on top of the rear could balance that out? But could also be the perspective that tricks me, as the basic shape looks right.

I love those Fischertechnik tyres (still need to build @filsawgood's Jimny with them :classic:)! Though for some "applications" It would be cool if they were as wide as the balloon tyres.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:44 AM, sirslayer said:

@Thirdwigg  good question if its a MOC or Mod...    I just did a mini 8081 in the same scale as the Lego 42075 First responder and using the same 8081 chassis and made a smaller body by referring to the original 8081 and I've modded the heck out of Lego 42075  .. I would think my body design of the SUV is my MOC and the chassis is just the mod..  The arrows on my picture points to ...

A. Pug headlamp

B. B-pillar 

C. C-pillar 

D- Liftarms fenders ..

I believe these features are needed to make any 8081 at any scale.... I would like to hear your feedback!!??  

Lego technic 8081 mod

I must say, it is not in scale of contest rules

I went ahead and did a version 3 of the Lego 8081 mod and this version of my mod is more compliant to the rules and features the following 

AWD with center diff..

4 wheel steering 

Classic red and black color look

Front independent suspension 

Live rear axles 

Red color rims

Fake engine from lego set 42029 

HOG Steering on dashboard

48726308517_32d0989ec4_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

48726134391_2ab6ae6c0a_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

48726134331_cf65180f31_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

48725804913_fe5c3cbf4a_b.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Looks pretty wide. Are you going to be able to fit the bodywork over it without being wider than the 17 studs the scale requires?

Otherwise, cool features.