schraubedrin

8081 - Extreme Cruiser - MODs and Improvements

After finally getting the 8081 Extreme Cruiser and enjoying the build, i just had to make it remote controlled.
There's so much space in this chassis! And small offroaders are always a win :classic:

(Unfortunately i neither have a good camera nor a nice photo-studio, so the pictures aren't that nice.)

Everything fits nearly seamless, except for my horrendous cable management:
(original on the left, MOD on the right)

O3gE164l.jpg

For propulsion i used two L-Motors geared 25:28 to the wheels, steering is done by a servo.
As i built this mod from my own parts, i didn't use the original Technic Gear Rack 1 x 2 with Ball Joints. The result is a convoluted mess with far to much slack.
But it works well enough to drive over other peoples feet :grin:

Here's the belly shot:
The servo is located above the L-Motors.

bQUvvSBl.jpg

To insert my steering solution, i had to ditch the original fake V4.
The Battery Box fits perfectly in the boot. And replacing it doesn't take more than opening the boot lid. to take it out. (It's positioned on short axles)

6VSWSpcl.jpg

And finally i remodelled the front a bit, closing some gaps and installing glowing lights :sweet:

cUvYA36l.jpg

In the end i'm really glad, that i searched for this model even though it's relatively old.
It's a nice build, a good parts pack, very modable and still nice to look at.

@moderators: i started this thread because no such topic existed and i didn't knew in which of the other 8081 topics i should put my post. Feel free to move/merge it.

Fun! @rm8 and I are co-sponsors of the Unofficial 8081 fan club, so I am always happy to see a modification of 8081.

There are a number of different modifications that have been done. A couple  of my favorites. I guess this set came out prior to starting a MOD and improvement thread, so many of the threads are fragmented. I am happy you have started this.

Makes me want to do another MOD of this set.

Edited by Thirdwigg
Broken Link

Nice mod. This is one of my favorite sets. And the one that got me out of my dark age. I often make it and re make it. 

Dear @Thirdwigg one day we should host online contest about this model:wink: We shoud not hide our feelings:tongue:

I’d forgotten all about this set. I have it somewhere so might have to dig it out.

Thanks for the reminder :thumbup:

16 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

There are a number of different modifications that have been done. A couple  of my favorites.

Wow, it's awesome what people are doing with this set. Thanks for showing me!

14 hours ago, Oliver 79 said:

This is one of my favorite sets. And the one that got me out of my dark age

Unfortunately my dark age began just before this set was released, that's why it took so long for me to acquire it :grin:

12 hours ago, rm8 said:

one day we should host online contest about this model

A good idea, as the necessary parts are pretty generic so quite a lot of people will be able to participate. Except for the steering rack, it needs another solution using current parts :sceptic:

12 hours ago, grum64 said:

Thanks for the reminder :thumbup:

It's my pleasure :wink:
I'd be interested what you think of it.

I'm happy about your feedback, it seems to be not a bad idea to take another look on older sets.

18 hours ago, rm8 said:

Dear @Thirdwigg one day we should host online contest about this model:wink: We should not hide our feelings:tongue:

I'm game. It gets right to the nostalgia of old LEGO sets that works so well for me. I would be interested to see what others would come up with, including all those people who have negative opinions of this set.

Truthfully I started rebuilding my 8081 RT MOD last night because of this thread. Maybe I'll add something else.

Keep it going @schraubedrin, let's see more MODs from you. When you do one 8081 MOD, certainly more are on the way. Let's see one from you @Oliver 79 and @grum64 too!

Edited by Thirdwigg

Just now, Thirdwigg said:

When you do one 8081 MOD, certainly more are on the way. Let's see one from you @Oliver 79 and @grum64 too!

Oh Sir, you flatter me :wink:

15 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Let's see one from you @Oliver 79

Ha! Sounds like a challenge.... 

You might be waiting a while. My lego output is around one model a year. :wink:

When this thread started, @rm8 and I challenged ourselves to MOD this set again. The rules, MOD 8081 and no motors. Mine was, keep the red chassis. Here is my WIP, based on the silly American sport idea that went crazy in the late 90's.

48653346953_8a5185b410_b.jpg

Looking for ideas on the rear bumper, and the little part behind the doors in front of the fenders. Also, is the rear overhang too long?

If you follow BrickGarage on Instagram, you'll see his WIP. While you are there, give him a hard time for only having a V-4 in his WIP.

Edited by Thirdwigg

Hi, also started 8081 recreation. 3 photos below - slide them right!

My target is to make my daughter happy: full saloon with 5-7 seats for Belville dolls, cargo bay for scala suitcases and many other places for cargo. And no holes in the floor!!!

@thirdwigg, don’t worry-engine is 6 pack;)

Come on, that's small and easy to build model with simple rules! Wanna join us? :wink: I will be glad to feature you model in my instagram or YT in the end:thumbup:

3 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

When this thread started, @rm8 and I challenged ourselves to MOD this set again. The rules, MOD 8081 and no motors. Mine was, keep the red chassis. Here is my WIP, based on the silly American sport idea that went crazy in the late 90's.

I love pickups! :sweet:

8081 as a pickup is awesome. There are some other "realistic" tires from Fischer Technik, that would also fit I think. They're about 62 mm in diameter and 29 to 30 mm wide.

Looking for ideas on the rear bumper, and the little part behind the doors in front of the fenders.

A few liftarms maybe - like at the rear end - or is there no way to attach them?

Also, is the rear overhang too long?

Not from this perspective I'd say.

1 hour ago, rm8 said:

Hi, also started 8081 recreation. 3 photos below - slide them right!

My target is to make my daughter happy: full saloon with 5-7 seats for Belville dolls, cargo bay for scala suitcases and many other places for cargo. And no holes in the floor!!!

Nice one, too. The 8081 is a true classic Lego Technic model and very (mod) inspiring. :classic:

1 hour ago, rm8 said:

Come on, that's small and easy to build model with simple rules! Wanna join us? :wink: I will be glad to feature you model in my instagram or YT in the end:thumbup:

So the rules for this thread are: 8081 mod w/o motor? Hm, what a pity, mine is already motorized, though it lacks performance. :sceptic: Well, I could remove those motors, but have neither a fake engine installed nor an interior, so maybe a little too less. :sad:

This is cool.... I'm in!!!!! well just started :) and red chassis?? 

Lego TechniLego Technic 8081 modc 8081 mod

Edited by sirslayer

@johnnym Do you know if those Fischertechnic tires fit any LEGO rims? They look helpful.

@rm8 Glad to know a 6 pot is coming. I should have given you more credit.

@sirslayer Red chassis is my rule, so feel free to use black. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

5 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

@johnnym Do you know if those Fischertechnic tires fit any LEGO rims? They look helpful.

Oh, sorry, wasn't clear about that: they fit on the exact same rims (43.2 x 26), both new and old versions of the rims.

What I meant with "[...] that would also fit I think." was, that I wasn't sure if they'll work with the existing steering/suspension in your pickup, as they're wider and have a bigger diameter compared to the tyres you have in use currently.

I love the Lego 8081 !!!!!!!!  Can we use the 56mm tires or does it have to be 68.7mm ??? 

This is so fun!!!!!  

IMG_20190904_035730

Ok, here are some more updates!!!!   Im almost done!!    Check these pictures out..

Lego technic 8081 MODSLego technic 8081 MODSLego technic 8081 MODSLego technic 8081 MODSLego technic 8081 MODS

even my cactus likes my mod!!!!

Can't hold back any longer. :blush:

I don't have current shots of my 8081 mod, but here are a few early shots from a few months ago. Please ignore the installed electric parts for now and consider it a WIP, I'll remove them in later shots.

I did not change much on the body as I mostly liked it as it was: As I didn't yet have the big black panels for doors and hood at that time, I came up with alternatives for these with parts I had available. I removed the front bumper for "better" off-road capabilities.

The used axles in the pictures below were my first try on 4WD (or AWD? what's the difference actually?) on this model and the front steering arms and mount points for steering arms are inspired by one of @rm8's 8081 mods - I believe the first one. Not visible in these pictures: the car has three differentials. The rear axle is still similar to the original one, but uses that open frame with ball joint, as does the front axle. The current version - from which I don't have pictures yet - uses different axles I came up with just recently, after recognizing this thread and where I integrated those 3-pin wheel hubs. Pictures will follow.

The pictures show my try on tracks on this model, it usually uses 81.6 x 38 R tyres (off-road version) or 68.8 x 36 ZR tyres (street version) :

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

??? very interesting.

Let's boost this challenge up to 15 contestants? And may be I can provide a prize))) (sorry @Jim, I know this is not my LUG territory?)

Looks that i found simple and easy way to replace old suspension pieces with current ones. It have few flaws, but for manual model i think that they are not that big deal. First that axle track is widen by stud in eash side, and second - wheels have toed out when suspension is in lower position. But from advantages - it keeps independent single shock concept from original model, fits in place of original steering and model's frame need only just 2 small changes (aside of different pins) to work with modern parts. If anyone would be interested i will post pictures at evening.

Edited by Arioh