Hickernator

MOC | Queen - The Miracle Express

Hello everyone!

Here is a MOC I have created of the steam locomotive which features in the Queen music video Breakthru.

46946865092_223d9dacda_z.jpgQueen - The Miracle Express by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

The engine itself is a preserved Class 2880 GWR locomotive in a 2-8-0 wheel configuration. It also has a flatbed truck where the band performs during the video.

46998635251_4cd2b9ebcd_z.jpgQueen - The Miracle Express by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

It was quite a challenge designing the locomotive and I am going to have a go at doing the wheels again. I have bought a book by Holgar Matthes which teaches you various techniques in building steam locomotives which I am going to use to help.

I also made custom figures of the band themselves. 

46946862742_5c04f38d69_z.jpgMiracle Express 4 by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

46946863512_1acef030be_z.jpgQueen - The Miracle Express by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

I intend to do some more updates on the train in the near future.

I have also uploaded this to Lego Ideas if you wish to support it there. The Miracle Express

I hope you like the model though. Please leave any feedback :) Thank you

Thanks for the kind comments! I've got 80 votes and am thrilled with the positive response!

I'm now moving onto stage 2 of this design, which is... motorisation! I am completely over-hauling the model and am going to add a motor to it to have it run around the tracks. Quite challenging but fun! First time ever working with motors.

Here's some pics of the progress thus far...

33145869938_512067a891_c.jpgMiracle Express Overall by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

47021132631_02aa1bfb54_c.jpgMiracle Express Overall by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

Any tips/suggestions would be most welcome :)

Thanks!

Hickernator

Edited by Hickernator
BB codes went wrong

33200717958_780694df28_o.png

I remembered seeing your engine earlier and thought it was pretty cool. Seems as if though I wasn't the only one Hickernator!

The official Queen Facebook page has posted a link to your Ideas page. Best of luck! :sweet:

3 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

33200717958_780694df28_o.png

I remembered seeing your engine earlier and thought it was pretty cool. Seems as if though I wasn't the only one Hickernator!

The official Queen Facebook page has posted a link to your Ideas page. Best of luck! :sweet:

Thank you! I am at a loss at the moment. All of this has come across so suddenly! I'm still waiting for parts to motorise it :laugh: This has been so encouraging though and the response has been wonderful! Thank you again :)

Being a Queen fan and a Train fan, this MOC is all awesomeness for me.

Well done!

Supported 1571

Been a while, but I've got a lot of new photos of my updated train which I wanted to share. Perhaps the biggest update is that it is now compatible with Power Functions! Took a long time to figure out. I've never really built with technic/motors before so it was a BIG learning curve, one which I had to compress over a 3 day weekend (with little to no sleep). :laugh:

46575441524_d8d3a117e1_z.jpgMiracle Express MkII by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

The MARK II Miracle Express. Compared to MARK I, this one is able to move around curves. It is also slightly chunkier than the original version, so that I could put the battery box and XL motor inside the main locomotive. 

46727573664_0ab33c3e8c_z.jpgThe Miracle Express by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

I'm now going to figure out how to add the third axle back onto the tender without making it derail. Going to be a challenge but will be more authentic to the original!

One more pic

47450641161_8e2fa00660_z.jpgThe Miracle Express by Adam Hickey, on Flickr

Let me know what you all think!

After watching the video, I would make the stage car longer by using a black split level train base part# 2972 giving the band more room like in the video.

Nice touch adding the band video to the Ideas page.  Never seen the video until now.  I'll support it.

can you make the tender sit lower on the trainwheels? i think that would make it look alot more realistic

XG BC