Sign in to follow this  
Calanon

Questions about exhibitions

I've never actually been to any exhibition of Lego MOCs, but the museum I volunteer at wants to host one at some point, so I have some questions about how they work. First of all, do people displaying their stuff get paid or is it a case of willingly bringing stuff to display? This particular one will go on a for a few months, so it'd be a case of dropping MOCs off to display behind glass, not standing around all day. Secondly, with something like a public museum does anyone know if it's possible for them to get cheaper Lego, either bulk pieces or some sets either directly from Lego or via a LUG? 

Most I have heard of a voluntary, sharing the love of LEGO and creativity (plus a little bit of showing off). 

So for a "show" situation where there is an event for a few days, the creators put their MOCs on display and attend to supervise them and talk to the public. At the comic con I display, I am not charged any table rates and while the offer to cover parking fees was appreciated I didn't need it. 

For an exhibition that is going to stay in place for a long time behind display cases: Builder comes in and does set-up, but fan builders do not expect to get paid, they might leave an information card or have provided someone with details needed regarding the MOC. Then they'll collect it when everything is over.

Businesses that make LEGO creations are the ones that need paying, commissioned work for businesses, events and the like. 

I know some CADW sites hosted building days in the summer a few years ago, so someone in the museum might have a starting point there (I am not sure how interconnected the world of historical monuments and museum trusts are). 

LEGO has something here that might help.

My LUG, BeLUG, has contacts with a number of external parties, where MOCs are being displayed for extended periods (a few weeks or months), including on a summer festival, in a museum, and in a LEGO Brand store. As far as I'm aware, only the LEGO store rewards the exhibitors for their display, in the form of a free big PAB cup and 30% discount on sets (some conditions apply), the rest is pure voluntary. 

9 hours ago, Calanon said:

Thanks for the help guys. I'll pass this on the museum staff on Tuesday.

You're welcome! 

Right, a few follow-up questions: re exhibitions is there any issues re the museum charging guests to see the museum? And does anyone know if there would be any liscensing issues with displaying liscensed themes?

Compulsory entry fee might interfere with any charity status that could allow the LEGO supplies from the company. I am not sure about licensing issues, I think there could be a problem if the selling point was STAR WARS but probably not if it just so happens to figure in the display.