XGBC

Lego rollercoaster based trains [CRS]

Recommended Posts

Hello Guys i thought i would open a Thread where you could show all your rollercoaster track based systems.

This is a list of every lego rollercoaster train builders flickr, youtube and brickshelf accounts:

JK Brickworks: https://jkbrickworks.com/roller-coaster-train/

                           https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCUaiGrBfRCaC6pL7ZnZjWbg

Assembeld:     https://zusammengebaut.com 

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQ6ONDG_QiSfQsdb0hwscGg

This list will be updated if i find the time to do so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, yes, I saw this as well. It is kind of LEGO Monorail 2.0. So maybe there is hope for the monorail fans after all.

But nonetheless quite cleverly done and well executed this example. I think more examples will follow now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Ah, yes, I saw this as well. It is kind of LEGO Monorail 2.0. So maybe there is hope for the monorail fans after all.

But nonetheless quite cleverly done and well executed this example. I think more examples will follow now.

yes im definitely looking forward for more examples. maybe someday im gonna buy some rollercoaster track and start with them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought some straight, flat roller coaster track & wheel bases a while back for use in making a retro-futuristic trench railway (the tracks are supposed to be welded pre-fab sections that bolt to concrete blocks sunk into the mud) for supplying some of the more static front-lines in my personal setting.  Unfortunately, I have so many other projects I want to finish first, I have no idea when I'll get around to actually making any of these critters.  I will post them here when I do, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people keep referring to using these tracks as monorail?  I know I'm just being OCD about it, but it's TWO rails, PERIOD.  It definitely makes for some interesting transportation systems - something that would be used instead of monorail but, for crying out loud, it's got TWO rails

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fred67 said:

... for crying out loud, it's got TWO rails...!

 

OmG I agree!

Ppl, the rollercoaster track is NOT monorail track!!

Although... it would be massively impressive if someone engineered a way to have a single train per railhead......?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are real  mono rail trains that use more then one rail, some have three.

One to support the train and for the powered wheels to run on, along with 2 side guide rails to prevent the train tipping.

I have two excellent books on 19th & 20th. Cent. Mono Railways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

... One to support the train and for the powered wheels to run on, along with 2 side guide rails to prevent the train tipping...

The main point being that the powered wheels adhere to a single rail. Like the original Lego Monorail system— the geared wheel adheres to the central rail despite two additional “rails” for stability’s sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fred67 said:

Why do people keep referring to using these tracks as monorail?  I know I'm just being OCD about it, but it's TWO rails, PERIOD.  It definitely makes for some interesting transportation systems - something that would be used instead of monorail but, for crying out loud, it's got TWO rails

 

Not if you snot it to the side of a building....  And only use the top rail lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@XG BCI don't think CRS belongs in the title of this thread. Custom Rail System is a coin termed by another member here referring to a monorail track design. CRS has nothing to do with these coaster tracks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ sed6 if you read the other crs thread you will know that the creator of it has made the acronym crs for custom rail systems wich could be also narrow gauge etc. and not just monorail.

@LegoMonorailFan:„And BTW, I've changed the title of this topic to include the acronym CRS (Custom Rail Systems). An acronym I thought of that I hope will become a popular term used when discussing about custom Lego monorails and other systems like it.“

XG BC

Edited by XG BC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reminding me of the JK Brickworks setup.  That's the set up I wanted to go with for motorizing an elevated train setup, but had completely forgotten it.  I put together the list of parts that I need from his site this morning, and will be placing an order this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that I should probably note (although anyone who has bought the "Rhino Face-Off by the Mine set would already know this) is that a lot of trains made for standard LEGO narrow-gauge track that uses the small train wheels will run on the rollercoaster track, although depending on the length of the wheelbase or bogie configuration, it might not make it around the tighter curve radius of the roller coaster track.

The rollercoaster car bodies/wheel bases won't work on standard LEGO narrow-gauge track (despite the actual wheels having the same width) due to the clips on the side of said wheel-bases.  As can be seen in this BrickLink Reference catalog image here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people mover on coaster tracks in the LEGO Friends Heartlake City Resort set is called a "monorail" by LEGO in their product description.  :wink:

The LEGO® Friends 41347 Heartlake City Resort is the place to hang out and have fun in Heartlake City! The hotel has a lobby, restaurant, juice bar, terrace with a DJ stand and 2 bedrooms. Drive the monorail round to the water park with changing room, 2 waterslides and a splash bucket, plus a beach area with a water scooter, parasailer and a lifeguard stand. This amazing LEGO Friends set includes 4 mini-doll figures plus a dolphin figure.

  • Includes Stephanie, Andrea, Olivia and Mason mini-doll figures, plus a Sheen the dolphin figure.
  • Features a resort hotel with moving monorail to a beach water park.
  • Hotel features lobby with telephone and computer, juice bar with blender, roof terrace with DJ decks, restaurant and 2 hotel rooms.
  • Water park features 2 slides, tipping splash bucket, water scooter with detachable parasailer, windsurf board, lifeguard stand and changing rooms.
  • Accessory elements include luggage, key, hot dog, ice cream, fruit, cups, bowl and a walkie-talkie.
  • Head to the lobby to collect the key for your hotel room, then grab a drink from the juice bar.
  • Take the monorail to the beach water park to try out the slides and enjoy some watersports—look out for the friendly dolphin!
  • Dance the evening away at the hotel rooftop party with friends with this big LEGO® Friends set.
  • Heartlake City Resort measures over 10” (26cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 11” (29cm) deep.
  • Monorail car measures over 2” (7cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.

41600732685_3c6ed9454e_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dr_spock said:

The people mover on coaster tracks in the LEGO Friends Heartlake City Resort set is called a "monorail" by LEGO in their product description.  :wink:

The LEGO® Friends 41347 Heartlake City Resort is the place to hang out and have fun in Heartlake City! The hotel has a lobby, restaurant, juice bar, terrace with a DJ stand and 2 bedrooms. Drive the monorail round to the water park with changing room, 2 waterslides and a splash bucket, plus a beach area with a water scooter, parasailer and a lifeguard stand. This amazing LEGO Friends set includes 4 mini-doll figures plus a dolphin figure.

  • Includes Stephanie, Andrea, Olivia and Mason mini-doll figures, plus a Sheen the dolphin figure.
  • Features a resort hotel with moving monorail to a beach water park.
  • Hotel features lobby with telephone and computer, juice bar with blender, roof terrace with DJ decks, restaurant and 2 hotel rooms.
  • Water park features 2 slides, tipping splash bucket, water scooter with detachable parasailer, windsurf board, lifeguard stand and changing rooms.
  • Accessory elements include luggage, key, hot dog, ice cream, fruit, cups, bowl and a walkie-talkie.
  • Head to the lobby to collect the key for your hotel room, then grab a drink from the juice bar.
  • Take the monorail to the beach water park to try out the slides and enjoy some watersports—look out for the friendly dolphin!
  • Dance the evening away at the hotel rooftop party with friends with this big LEGO® Friends set.
  • Heartlake City Resort measures over 10” (26cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 11” (29cm) deep.
  • Monorail car measures over 2” (7cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.

41600732685_3c6ed9454e_c.jpg

i think lego doesnt really know what a monorail is really because that one definitely isnt.

XG BC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't stem the tide of the butchering of the English (in particular) language.  It's like LEGO vs legos.  I know I initially brought it up, but it's already obvious it's pointless to argue about when TLG themselves can't even get it right.

It IS amusing, though, when TLG stated outright they'd never do monorail again, that they then release a set with what they call a monorail in it, even if it's quite obviously not one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fred67 said:

You can't stem the tide of the butchering of the English (in particular) language.  It's like LEGO vs legos.  I know I initially brought it up, but it's already obvious it's pointless to argue about when TLG themselves can't even get it right.

It IS amusing, though, when TLG stated outright they'd never do monorail again, that they then release a set with what they call a monorail in it, even if it's quite obviously not one.

thats what im also feeling like. we could argue about this for weeks and still dont have the correct answer to it. but that naming thing is quite funny indeed.

XG BC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 12:26 AM, dr_spock said:

Monorail car measures over 2” (7cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.

41600732685_3c6ed9454e_c.jpg

I think in this they are "using" the coaster track to simulate a monorail setup.   A little imagination goes a long way here.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but TLG could’ve just as easily called it a tram, trolley, gondola, rail car, people-mover, etc instead of “monorail”...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think it's cool, using the track this way; I would love to see an "official" motorized version of this.  JK Brickworks  motorized version is really cool (except, as a people transport, I don't like how steep the slopes are).  I'd love to see more like this - I wish I had more than a few minutes every day to spend on LEGO; I have so many ideas - some I'd like to share with people here, but these last few days have me thinking about finally building my city square set, and using these tracks and motorizing it (as an elevated transport, also).

The vision of my someday city keeps evolving, and I'd now be happy having just a simple train loop around the outskirts while having either monorail, or something like these coaster ideas, as the inner city transportation system.

But I will never call this monorail, and I will always point out to anyone that calls it monorail that there is simply more than one rail the train is running on... it's just that simple.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fred67 said:

I actually think it's cool, using the track this way; I would love to see an "official" motorized version of this.  JK Brickworks  motorized version is really cool (except, as a people transport, I don't like how steep the slopes are).  I'd love to see more like this - I wish I had more than a few minutes every day to spend on LEGO; I have so many ideas - some I'd like to share with people here, but these last few days have me thinking about finally building my city square set, and using these tracks and motorizing it (as an elevated transport, also).

The vision of my someday city keeps evolving, and I'd now be happy having just a simple train loop around the outskirts while having either monorail, or something like these coaster ideas, as the inner city transportation system.

But I will never call this monorail, and I will always point out to anyone that calls it monorail that there is simply more than one rail the train is running on... it's just that simple.  

The JK Brickworks version has the steep slopes because he only had the Pirate Rollercoaster set available to use.  The concept would still be the same with no slope tracks - he mentions in the video that he wanted to get more straight pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I get why it's so steep, it's just laughable for a tram.  At least it's good to know it works, because you know it'll be know problem with more subtle elevation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@XG BC Not a bad idea, but wouldn’t it be simpler to use the same elevation technique used for regular train track — one plate rise per segment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.