(Luc)ky Luke

Flockwood's forgery

46003052305_9648278f10_z.jpg

46192601584_2603b0dfec_z.jpg

46917368381_d90b3eb03d_z.jpg

46192601374_12436b39ab_z.jpg

31976279007_67bbb79275_z.jpg

46917367651_1d874127d2_z.jpg

The roof can be removed to reveal the inside.

31976278787_4f98e9c70f_z.jpg

46917367401_0bc329596d_z.jpg

‘After the destruction of Helgestorp my father and my mother, pregnant with me, her second son, fled the city. My older brother was only 2 years old at the time. Together with several others rendered homeless by the canons and flames they fled high up in the mountains. Here, after a week long journey through the bitter cold and endless snow, they found a spring concealed in the warm gloom of a small cave. Exhausted by the mountains heavy ordeal and glad to have finally found water and shelter they decided to stay there, knowing that traveling any further would cost even more lives and going back was simply not an option. Soon they discovered that the snowy forests, despite their icy silence, were buzzing with life and a village of small wooden houses would soon surround the cave that saved many broken lives. My story begins in this village that repelled the cold and dark of the mountains.’

-Ronan

I posted this later than planned because of a very busy period for me. But still, here is my third free-build. This build can be seen as an upgrade from my first free build and is the start of Ronan’s story. The build represents the home of Ronan Lund. 
The roof doesn’t look great because I ran out of white slopes and had to make it with only a few wedge plates. The front of the house looks a bit odd, this is also because I ran out of pieces. 
Tips and other forms of feedback are very much appreciated. 

Wow, what a great story and a nice build!  When I see builds in Mitgardia or Kaliphlin, I always ask myself "Why would someone build a house there?"  There's a lot of these medieval fantasy pictures out there that look neat because there's a castle in the middle of nowhere, but there's no reason for it to be there.  You answered that question immediately and simply, with the warm(er) spring to provide water.  You also mentioned the village being built of wood, which makes sense for an initial build to keep the cold out, and you showed building the house partly into the ground, which also makes sense for the cold environment.  The story is clear, it makes sense, and it is very intriguing--I want to read more!

Besides the story, the build is very nice, too.  I like the tiling in the floor of the forge room, the dark tan wedges out front to give some elevation to the ground, and the depiction of the spring with stalactites.  The snow looks good, even on the roof, despite having run out of bricks.  If the points of the tooth pieces on the edge could point down, it might help, as it looks like the snow and ice went sideways, but that's minor.  The details on the inside are great, and it looks like a cozy house--something that again makes sense as large, spacious halls are unlikely to be made in the mountains both due to a lack of flat space and the need to heat such a large area.  Finally, I would like to complement you on the tree.  Its placement on the sloped, snowy hill looks very natural and is exactly what I think something like that would look like.  Very well done!

Well this is a very nice start! I like the interior as well as the underground cave with the spring and the snow is well done. One thing that bothers me a little is that the snow on the ridge on the front should be pointing down, rather than diagonal. I also think that the stonework on the house is a bit messy, I might be a good idea to use one primary colour (say, light bley) and use the other one for small variation. The short story is intriguing enough and makes me wanna know more about this little village built on the hot spring. Oh and I also have a question: is it me seeing things or you've actually used gold for the path? :oh: If so, it looks waaaays better than I'd expect. If not, please lemma know and I'll get myself some glasses or something :laugh:

Edited by en_zoo

Is that squares of six grill tiles for the forge floor?  Looks great! 

Great build.  I like the roof and the snow on the roof.  The interiors are nice, I especially like the grated floor in the forge.  Nice pathway and snow effect on the outside of the building.  All the figs are neat too.  

Very nice build. Lots of cool details and interactive features. The floor is probably the standout!

@Grover Thank you very much! I agree with the front looking a bit odd. It was rushed and I had to cover the front up with the last pieces I had.

@en_zoo Thank you! The front was made with some leftovers and If I had more bricks I would have made something better out of it.

And I have to dissapoint you because the path is not made of gold :laugh:, it is probably the lighting that makes it look that way. It is made of dark tan.  

@Kai NRG Yes it is, thank you!

@zoth33 Thank you!

@mccoyed Thank you, It took me a long time to make the floor.

@The Last of Nergoue Thank you!

Lovely forge that truly captures a Mitgardian look! Excellent dirt path and snow effects, but the the neat cave cutaway and pretty interiors steal the show :wub:

That is a very clever floor design and it fits nicely in the forge area :thumbup:

Nice forge! I particularly like the floor of the forge itself. Good job putting a bellows, a quenching bucket, and other small details in the limited space. I look forward to seeing more of the village around the spring!