Trekkie99

Is this part discontinued???

Noticed that there were two versions of the 1X4 plate with 2 studs. It says on bricklink that part #92593 was released from 2011-2019. Part #41740 Was released this year. I don't like the latter since it can be very restricting. So my question is is part #92593 discontinued? :cry_sad:

Both parts are still in use as of this year; however, I expect the former to be phased out in the near future.

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

very restricting

WOE is there restricting on this groove?
It is actually better since the tile can now be removed wh using tools.

Just now, coinoperator said:

It's restricting because where the groove now is is somewhere where I can't do a half stud off set unlike the original part which did allow it. 

Oh wow, the underside of that new plate is terrible!  That looks like some crap Megablocks would design!  I don't really care one way or the other about the groove on the bottom edge, but those square bottoms are really restrictive.  Ugh.

Edited by Grover

16 minutes ago, Grover said:

Oh wow, the underside of that new plate is terrible!  That looks like some crap Megablocks would design!  I don't really care one way or the other about the groove on the bottom edge, but those square bottoms are really restrictive.  Ugh.

It seems like the reason they've opted for the new design for the bottom is to make it better suited for what has become one of its primary uses—being used alongside tiles to create a semi-secure attachment between sections of a build (like the floors of a modular building). The new style has more clutch power on the bottom so that when you remove a section from on top, this part is less likely to come off with it. And the groove makes it blend in more when used alongside other styles of tile or jumper plate.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It seems like the reason they've opted for the new design for the bottom is to make it better suited for what has become one of its primary uses—being used alongside tiles to create a semi-secure attachment between sections of a build (like the floors of a modular building). The new style has more clutch power on the bottom so that when you remove a section from on top, this part is less likely to come off with it. And the groove makes it blend in more when used alongside other styles of tile or jumper plate.

That's what I assumed as well. :hmpf_bad:

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

While likely true, I dislike that they have limited the versatility of the piece.  One of the things I like about Lego is that they are able to be used in many different ways.  Limiting the functionality by design is disappointing.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:12 AM, coinoperator said:

The original can be removed like any other plate with the brick separator using the top studs. If it has any studs at all its a plate. However they have since changed the 1x2 w 1 stud ("jumper") to look like this one whereas before it didn't have the tile lip around the bottom.

In any case I can appriciate the discussion around this piece, finally. I actually like both parts and would prefer if both are around but seems more likely that'll wind up being wishful and the new one will take over.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, Lyichir said:

I do notice the "old" style comes off the bottom sometimes on those 3-in-1 Creator Modulars when removing a roof/floor/wall section where the 2 studs stick to the removed part instead.

But yes, that bottom design certainly is different from just a visual update to be a "tile" , I didn't notice the 1-2-1 bottom design at first.

Edited by TeriXeri

It took me a while....Here is me thinking, both parts are the same.  Is this a trick question.....

On 2/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Noticed that there were two versions of the 1X4 plate with 2 studs. It says on bricklink that part #92593 was released from 2011-2019. Part #41740 Was released this year. I don't like the latter since it can be very restricting. 

I got there in the end.  Totally agree it looks like MB rubbish from underneath

I don't know if this part change is for the better, but I do like that I now have two variations of the part to choose from in my MOCs, because the groove can be nice for really small detailing. I already have loads of the old mold, so I suspect it won't bother me that much.

What you could not do with most other pieces with this groove is stack them for a pattern (because all of them are tiles and thus have no studs on them)

I wonder if they will change the 2x2 version (2x2 tile with 2 studs) as well to have the groove

Now I have to decide... will I sort the two versions of this plate separately or put them in the same drawer? (I also sort my jumpers with and without groove separate)