Henjin_Quilones

Avalonia Mini-Challenge: Game of Thrones

Well, here we are at the finals! In the semifinals, @de Gothia shut out @en_zoo 9-0, and @Servertijd downed @Henjin_Quilones 6-3, setting us up for an epic finals build-off. 

47509251241_86acecc51a_c.jpg

Now the finalists will have two weeks to build something new, between 16x16 and 32x32, that shows the candidate being crowned King of Avalonia (and you can include a queen, if the candidate has a spouse). Design a new Dragon Throne for the kingdom, and place your monarch(s) on it (don't just re-hash the same throne that DC made like I did). There is a range in size to allow greater amount of detail around the throne if you so wish, or a crowd to witness the coronation, or walls and windows, or whatever the builder chooses. If the finalists have some reason that they could not do something adequate in two weeks, we'll extend it a bit (and if they both finish early we can start voting sooner). But in two weeks, on April 14th, we'll have the two entries that will be voted upon to crown at last the King of Avalonia! Thus, by April 21st we shall have a new King of Avalonia!

Hi all! 

I didn't think I would get to the finals, so everyone that voted for me, a big thanks!

The problem is I don't have any parts left for a "good throne room" I have still a few mocs I have to tear apart and one moc in progress, I won't be able to this all in a few weeks, also I'm going to be a dad in a few weeks, I still have lots to do so that will take time aswell. I want the final to be great, with two great builds, I can't give that atm.

I decided to withdraw, instead of me, @Henjin_Quiloneswill take my place in the final!

Good luck to both finalists! Give us the king we need!

I think by standard tournament rules, if you withdraw after you’ve won your bracket, de Gothia would win by forfeit/default.  I still think we should make him do a build to secure the throne, though. ?

6 hours ago, Grover said:

I think by standard tournament rules, if you withdraw after you’ve won your bracket, de Gothia would win by forfeit/default.  I still think we should make him do a build to secure the throne, though. ?

Yeah but this is the final, we need a match,

I think HQ deserves that spot.

one edit, if the majority doesn´t accept this, I will do a build myself, but we have to extend it by 1 or 2 weeks as I have to tear some mocs apart.

Edited by Servertijd

3 hours ago, Servertijd said:

I think HQ deserves that spot.

I assume you asked him privately and he gave his availability for that?

31 minutes ago, en_zoo said:

I assume you asked him privately and he gave his availability for that?

Yes, he was the logical choice to ask, as he was against me in the semi-finals but, if it doesn't get accepted by the rest I will do a build, we just have to extend the deadline then.

Edited by Servertijd

By the way, my apologies, as I was remiss in congratulating you on your newest addition to the family!  That's a huge life change and wonderful as well.  Best of luck with everything, and I wish you as much sleep as you can get!

As for the tournament:

Bracket tournaments do not work where the victor withdraws and chooses someone else to take his or her place.  If you had wanted HQ and Cinnatus to take your place, you should have forfeited to him before voting concluded in the last round.

I have a few suggestions of options that I hope remain fair to everyone:

1. You forfeit to de Gothia (I still think de Gothia should have to make a build to claim the throne in this case, but that's up to the powers that be).

2. You ask for an extension for time to build (this may not be feasible with a new child, as you will soon find that you have no time for anything!).

3. If (and only if since this was not agreed upon in the first place) everyone here agrees, you choose a champion to build for you.  This person (be it HQ or whomever) would have to build with Wilfred Sigurd for you, like choosing a champion for trial by combat.

All of us who were eliminated were eliminated fairly by vote and thus our stories and builds were not chosen by the majority and are no longer in play.  To choose one of us who was eliminated would be unfair to the rest and to the spirit of the tournament at large, in my opinion.

Others may have different suggestions, so let's hear them all, folks!

11 hours ago, Grover said:

3. If (and only if since this was not agreed upon in the first place) everyone here agrees, you choose a champion to build for you.  This person (be it HQ or whomever) would have to build with Wilfred Sigurd for you, like choosing a champion for trial by combat.

I saw no problem with Servertijd dropping out when he asked me, so I began to build something already. I would have no problem putting Wilfred Sigurd on the throne, as Servertijd's champion. I agree with him, though, a forfeit in the finals is kind of a downer way to end a tournament. In things like March Madness, there is a new game each round, but we did not do that here until the last round, so "forfeit means opponent wins" does not quite apply perfectly here. But whatever folks want! I can use the build somewhere else, I guess, if not here. 

In my opinion:

There was in the core rule of the challenge, If someone can't build something, the challenge can be extended. I'm agreeing with Grover. Choose someone, who will representative Wilfred Sigurd, or forfeit THIS ROUND, not the previous one.

Also, I too wanted to congrats to you to become a dad!

Thanks guys! And thanks for the honesty! I guess the blame is on me, I should have withdraw the last round. I didnt think that really through. I hope it's okay if HQ does a build with Wilfred on the throne.

@de Gothia what's your opinion on this matter?

Congrats servertijd! Being dad is such a blessing!!

For the contest, it’s ok for me with that HQ compete! 

Are there any objections to @Servertijd naming me as his champion to build a throneroom scene by proxy for his candidate Wilfred Sigurd, to be used in the final against Lord de Gothia?

In my opinion, it offers the most advantages:

1. It honors his candidate, the victorious semifinalist, rather than my own, the defeated semifinalist;

2. It allows the final to still be an actual vote between competing builds, rather than an anticlimactic formality of naming Lord de Gothia king;

3. It allows the timeline to remain intact, and does not require Servertijd to somehow find the time to deconstruct several MOCs, build a new one, welcome a new baby, presumably work a full-time job, and somehow still sleep and function, all in the next few weeks; 

4. It gives me the incentive to finish the throneroom build that I have a good start on, rather than tossing it in the scrap pile, giving Avalonia another freebuild to be scored and more gold in the coffers;

5. It is what Servertijd himself proposed to me, and thus honors the wishes of the finalist himself (though he is free to change his mind);

6. And @de Gothia, the opposing finalist, accepts the new arrangement as a fair match (though he, too, is free to change his mind). 

Aye, I think, many of us, who was thinking about this situation will accept it fairly. Like I do. We still need a good king on ouf throne!

I don't have any objections. Book III Challenge III will be upon us soon, won't it? Better to have a new king by then.

and @Servertijd I wish you all the possible sleep!

I'm good with whomever @Servertijd chooses to build for Wilfred Sigurd.  I am doubly happy that we get to see your throne room, @Henjin_Quilones, as your builds are always fantastic and I would hate to see one of them go to waste!

On 4/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, Grover said:

All of us who were eliminated were eliminated fairly by vote

“When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.”

Damn, I forget to say this, when the time was right. :D

Edited by kahir88

Honestly I am not picky. I enjoy the idea of more builds happening vs less being built. We are here after all to see builds happen or to build ourselves.