Henjin_Quilones

Avalonia Mini-Challenge: Game of Thrones

I just noticed you are on the bracket, HQ.  Are you participating?  And if so, just to be sure, you originated the idea, organized the event, and wrote the bracket as well?

9 hours ago, Grover said:

I just noticed you are on the bracket, HQ.  Are you participating?  And if so, just to be sure, you originated the idea, organized the event, and wrote the bracket as well?

Yes, the minichallenge is open to ALL Avalonians, after all, even me. But I am not the person deciding the victor; that is for all members of Avalonia to vote on. I tried to make the bracket fair (I had a loose seeding system of oldest member vs. newest member, and so on, though I did not check everyone's dates precisely) so hopefully it will be seen as such. If you have any concerns, let me know!

Just now, en_zoo said:

so @Henjin_Quilones, how does the voting works exactly, if I'm not anticipating/spoiling anything? If I am, well, I can wait a couple more days, I guess :laugh:

No, not spoiling anything. I'll post something asking folks to choose between the two options in a given match-up (if one builder in a match-up does not build, there is no vote, obviously), giving all Avalonians a week or so to put in their votes for round 1. After that, it will be about a week per round of voting, until the final matchup, when the last two candidates standing will have to build a new build to be voted upon to crown a king (or queen). Does that make sense?

2 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

when the last two candidates standing will have to build a new build to be voted upon to crown a king (or queen).

Again, 16x16 as I suggest.

10 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Yes, the minichallenge is open to ALL Avalonians, after all, even me. But I am not the person deciding the victor; that is for all members of Avalonia to vote on. I tried to make the bracket fair (I had a loose seeding system of oldest member vs. newest member, and so on, though I did not check everyone's dates precisely) so hopefully it will be seen as such. If you have any concerns, let me know!

Well, it doesn't look good.  If you recused yourself, then none of this would matter, but from an outside perspective, one could argue that you have an advantage in having made the brackets, having known what the challenge was long before others (and thus more time to think about the builds, actually build, and order parts off Bricklink), and as the administrator you have the power to decide what is and is not acceptable for things like overhang.

The last one is easy: if a question comes up about overhang, what is or is not allowed, etc., you just defer to one of the other guild leaders and let them make the call so you can't be accused of bias.  The bracket  looked to me to have been assigned based on entry date, although I don't know everyone's entry dates to GoH either.

Since there are no prizes on the line and the rolebuilding guild is just for fun, plus I think that most of us feel that you had only good intentions here and have tried to be fair, I don't know how much this matters, but I at least did want to mention it so that you were aware of how it appeared so there would be no hard feelings over future contests.

Edited by Grover

14 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

No, not spoiling anything. I'll post something asking folks to choose between the two options in a given match-up (if one builder in a match-up does not build, there is no vote, obviously), giving all Avalonians a week or so to put in their votes for round 1. After that, it will be about a week per round of voting, until the final matchup, when the last two candidates standing will have to build a new build to be voted upon to crown a king (or queen). Does that make sense?

It does. A couple of questions more: can one vote for himself? How long time will the 2 finalists have to complete the new build?

And just to chime in about what @Grover says, I do feel like HQ has been fair, plus there are no points/prizes at stake, plus the Guild leader is also part of the Guild (a big part) - it'd be sad if (s)he didn't take part, imo. If it's true that they can have an advantage, well.. they earned it :wink:

This reminds me of a general question I wanted to ask though: I didn't see Guild leaders participating in the last challenge (apart from setting it up, obviously), but could they have done so, had they wanted to?

1 hour ago, en_zoo said:

This reminds me of a general question I wanted to ask though: I didn't see Guild leaders participating in the last challenge (apart from setting it up, obviously), but could they have done so, had they wanted to?

We can build in them and score points for the Guilds like anyone else, but we can't win prizes. Rogue built something for Varlyrio, as I recall. These days I don't have the time I once did, especially with all the effort put into the prelude builds, so I haven't been getting anything built for the challenges. 

10 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

We can build in them and score points for the Guilds like anyone else, but we can't win prizes. Rogue built something for Varlyrio, as I recall. These days I don't have the time I once did, especially with all the effort put into the prelude builds, so I haven't been getting anything built for the challenges. 

Thanks for clarifying :thumbup:

Officially about 10.5 hours left to post stuff, though if it is a bit late it will still count. If in doubt, post it anyways!

My entry:

I would like to thank HQ for organizing this challenge and his awesome recreation of the dragon throne, and also offer a congrats to everyone who entered.  These entries are so creative and so good.  Great job, everyone!

Edited by Grover

The bracket with the live contenders on it: 

46335796205_f4e7d188da_c.jpg

For this round, we can decide between:

@Faladrin (Lady Walaheria of Falahuas) vs. @derEselausErgste (Sir Alan FitzAlan, Earl, Baron, etc...)

@Henjin_Quilones (Lord Cinnatus) vs. @dalle (Lady Majastina)

@Grover (Lady Penelope Brightleaf) vs. @TheLordOfBricks (Lord Halgreld of Eldford)

@en_zoo (Half-elf King and Queen) vs. @kahir88  (Sir Ardo Ungar)

Waiting to know their competition:

@The Last of Nergoue (Sir Sarrath)

@de Gothia (Lord de Gothia)

@Servertijd (Lord Wilfred Sigurd of Oxenfurt)

If I missed one, let me know.

We had some nice entries here! To determine the winner, reply in this thread with your votes in each match-up. This is for Avalonians only, so let's not see any Varlyrian hackers trying to influence anything here! All Avalonians, not just those who built something, can and should vote. Everyone in Avalonia's voice matters here. The voting is public, so that there is no secrecy and anyone can tally up the votes to see who won. If your entry loses, don't feel bad: you contributed to the kingdom nobly and will have a place among the new monarch's Council of Advisers.

Please record your vote by Friday, March 8th. You can choose the winning entries for any reason: build quality, build presentation, the accompanying story, the name of the candidate, how good looking the candidate is, anything. And you can vote for your entry if you entered. 

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Post them here, too, and I will address them as I am able. 

Wait, so I'm up against Grover in voting this round? Or is that the for sure matchups next round? Either way best of luck Grover! May the noblest knight win! ;)

Edited by TheLordOfBricks

Oh, I'm a (not a) Avalonian! I could vote, haha! But I did have a question, maybe because I didn't read the rules. Are all the builds built for the competion and the rest is just matching them and voting?  Or are there more rounds they have to build for?  And, it is a really cool challenge, btw, I had fun watching the builders and will also watch the votes (and see if I can hack some Avalonian account to join in :laugh: ). 

2 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Wait, so I'm up against Grover in voting this round? Or is that the for sure matchups next round? Either way best of luck Grover! May the noblest knight win! ;)

Well, technically I guess it is the second round, since you both won the first round by default. But we'll vote now anyways, since why wait? 

30 minutes ago, W Navarre said:

Oh, I'm a (not a) Avalonian! I could vote, haha! But I did have a question, maybe because I didn't read the rules. Are all the builds built for the competion and the rest is just matching them and voting?  Or are there more rounds they have to build for?  And, it is a really cool challenge, btw, I had fun watching the builders and will also watch the votes (and see if I can hack some Avalonian account to join in :laugh: ). 

The rest is just matching them and voting, until the final round. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

So if I saw this earlier I would have been able to skip the first two rounds by default ? It pays to be vigilant I guess ?

Alright, I voluntary start the voting. I read all the entries once more, commented too, and wrote down some notes to my self, who shall take my vote, and why.  My point of view, to elect someone to rule, is to have a good, solid backstory, without it, a humble peasant can go to Albion and volunteer to take the crown. All this set, here are my votes:

Faladrin vs. derEselausErgste: I vote for derEselausErgste.  As I said, an elf would be a strong connection between the humans of Albion and the elves of the Enchanted Forest, but someone, who was taught in the ways of the is more likely king type.

Henjin_Quilones vs. dalle: I vote for dalle. Scholar, diplomat. If she studied in this arts, I'm sure she has a paper of certification about them. She would be a better queen, than a knight, who was supported by the locals, to be Avalonias new ruler (and also, you already has a ruler fig. :D )

Grover vs. TheLordOfBricks: I vote for TheLordOfBricks. Again, a promised one versus a local lord, who was taught how to rule many people. I learned from first hand: the guilds of Historica doesn't like prophecies, about rulers ( like my Historica ruler entry).

en_zoo vs. kahir88: And if it's legal, I vote for myself,  kahir88. Cause he was selected by the previous king, after seeing his deeds. Although, an elf or at least half-elf would be great on the throne too, the connection between humans and elf. Like I said earlier before. The build and presentation is good, but we (or at least I) didn't get his and her name. And yet again, just a local, who wishes to rule.

Huh, I hope I didn't get new enemies with my honest writings. I really liked the builds and stories, and sometimes it is hard to choose between two builds. But this is life, there are winners and losers, like me.

I hope the way I voted is good if not, show us, how to vote properly @Henjin_Quilones

Oh ! Nice ! This is already time to vote !

So Here is my vote :

1st match : Faladrin vs. derEselausErgste : Since it's legal to vote for me, I vote For Faladrin. This one is obvious, I don't have to argue why... :laugh::grin:

2nd match : Henjin_Quilones vs. dalle: I vote for Henjin Quilones as he did a very good build (as always) and I like thie little story of a humble knight assuming literally his lordship.

3rd match : Grover vs. TheLordOfBricks: I vote for Grover because of his MOC adapted to his story, and his Penelope character who doesn't seem to be a soft girl...

4th match : en_zoo vs. kahir88:  I vote for En Zoo because I like the idea of elves kings in Avalonia.

I hope it is the right way to vote, and hope to haven't upset anyone in my vote. This is just my personal impression, and it's not everytime based on build quality.

Good luck to everyone !