Henjin_Quilones

Avalonia Mini-Challenge: Game of Thrones

46962224281_b65861d28e_c.jpg

Who sits on the Dragon Throne in the keep of high Albion?

Who rules over the greenest and greatest of the Guilds?

Who thunders into battle at the fore of the mighty Flight of Dragons? 

Is it you?

46048414815_20dd449950_c.jpg

For many years now, the Guild of Avalonia has been missing its king. Artorious Rex - long may his legend live on - vanished, leaving the guild without a definite ruler. Regents have maintained order as best as possible, and High Lords have done their best to keep things running smoothly, but the time has come for the Dragon Throne to be occupied once more. 

AVALONIANS, THIS IS YOUR MOMENT!

Your task is to create a 16x16 vignette depicting your claimant to the Dragon Throne. Not only should you show the man or woman you wish to see seated on the throne, but you should make it abundantly clear from the vignette why your claimant belongs on the throne. Is he able to slay countless enemies? Is she richer than the combined kingdoms of the dwarves? Is he the most handsome gentleman anyone has yet seen? Is she a skilled diplomat? Whatever sets your claimant apart, show him or her doing just that. 

Then this is where the Game of Thrones comes in. EVERY builder who is registered with Avalonia as of Friday February 8th, Anno Domini MMXIX, will automatically be entered into a tournament bracket. You will be competing against other builder's vignettes through several rounds until a winner is crowned King (or Queen) of Avalonia. If your opponent fails to build anything, you win that round by forfeit. Winners will be determined by popular vote of your Avalonian brethren, so make sure that you impress! 

The final round will require a new build, of 32x32 or less, from each of the two finalists, to make a final push for the Dragon Throne. What are you willing to sacrifice to get there? 

Details/fine print:

- Open to official members of Avalonia only; you must have a sigfig posted to the Avalonian thread by February 8th, 2019 to qualify. No sigfig, no entry!

- One 16x16 (or 256-stud equivalent, with proportions no further skewed than 32x8) build per builder will be used for all of the first rounds of the tournament. You won't need to build something new each round, unless you win through to the final round. Minimal overhang is allowed. Borders do not factor into the stud limit. 

- Official LEGO only - no 3rd party stuff (Brickarms, Brick Warriors, etc.) or clones (Kreo, Megablocks, Lepin, etc.). Also, no custom decals or painting or carving or cutting or gluing or any other altering of official LEGO products. The King or Queen of Avalonia should be able to be depicted by anyone who has the right LEGO parts. Yellow or fleshie faces are permitted. 

- The initial 16x16 build must be completed and posted in its own topic, with a link in this thread, before March 1st, 2019. If it is still February somewhere in the world, you can still post your build. 

- While you can try to put your own sigfig on the Dragon Throne, keep in mind that he/she becomes part of the public domain at that point. Your own personal story line will be essentially finished by doing so. It is the recommendation of the administration (HQ) that you create a brand new character for the contest, or else elevate a minor character from your story line, but not your own sigfig. 

- Regardless of the outcome of the tournament, Henjin_Quilones and ZCerberus will still be the in-real-life leaders of Avalonia. The winning character will be the leader for in-game story purposes only. 

- Builds entered into this contest count as freebuilds for scoring purposes. 

- While you are limited to 256 studs for the tournament itself, no one is saying you can't build more and bigger scenes to depict his/her exploits as regular freebuilds and add to the legend that way. Officially only the vignette counts, but it's not like we can make people forget or ignore other cool builds...

- Voting in the tournament will begin on March 1st. If first-round byes are needed in the bracket due to the numbers, they will be granted to those with the longest time in Avalonia first, and so on down the line. If you joined in Book I, chances are you will get a 1st round bye; if you just joined this week, you won't. But everyone still needs to get their builds done before March. Only Avalonians will vote for their ruler - those from the other guilds can do their own lobbying for their preferred candidates, but they cannot vote. Any sign of Varlyrian tampering with the election, via targeted ads or skewed search algorithms, will be...expected. 

- We should have a King or Queen of Avalonia by April. 

- The winner will not receive anything except prestige, glory, and honor, and maybe a fancy title like "Kingmaker"; but no bricks are on the line here. 

[Credit for the throne design goes to @Derfel Cadarn who built it in Book I]

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

The Bracket:

46201590785_043f009e5f_c.jpg

@ZCerberus, @Niku, @de Gothia, @cablefoxley, @MiloNelsiano, and @TitusV all have byes for the first round. 

@Wineyard vs. @The Last of Nergoue; @Faladrin vs. @derEselausErgste; @mlongworth vs. @Servertijd; @Henjin_Quilones vs. @dalle; @Brandon Stark vs. @chewbacher; @KevinyWu vs. @Zilmrud; @Full Plate vs. @TheLordOfBricks; @Grover vs. @LordBevis; @en_zoo vs. @Ailhbe; and @kahir88 vs. @The_Nev comprise the first round. Let's get building!

The bracket with the live contenders on it: 

46335796205_f4e7d188da_c.jpg

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Nice! Shame about the restrictions.

Maybe it's time, to put away my little mercenary group, and show my "Noble Knight side" :D a quick question: the restriction is for the entire entry, or, just for the new ruler candidate? (Like, a conversation between her/him and conrad, who has an axe from Brickwarriors)

Anyway, I wish to join in the Mini-Challenge, with my candidate to help find the rightful ruler for Avalonia!

An idea maybe: Lets help them, and write down, who, when joined. I joined during BOOK II. Some time, after Ravaage appeared.

PS: The Throne is fabulous!

Edited by kahir88

Just now, kahir88 said:

a quick question: the restriction is for the entire entry, or, just for the new ruler candidate? (Like, a conversation between her/him and conrad, who has an axe from Brickwarriors)

The ruler candidate must be purist, but if your sigfig is not purist and you wished to include him/her in the build that would be acceptable. 

The Donkey is as new as could be within this noble guild, but he would courteously announce his participation in this admirable  contest. 

LONG LIVE THE KING...and if it‘s a Queen, it will be even better!

Wow, this is so good, in three ways:

First of all, it would finally fix the leadership vacuum (IC, I mean of course! HQ and ZC are doing great)

Second, mini-challenges are always nice, but even more so if the start when I have a week free :wink: 

Third: the intro build is just too cool Henjin

Long live Avalonia! :dsweet:

If I have a bigger story, to support my candidate chances, to become the most important men in Avalonia. How should I show it? Like, in the entry build, after 1 or 2 vignette, then show the official vignette, for the challenge? Or separetly in two entry, reffering to each other entry?

1 hour ago, kahir88 said:

If I have a bigger story, to support my candidate chances, to become the most important men in Avalonia. How should I show it? Like, in the entry build, after 1 or 2 vignette, then show the official vignette, for the challenge? Or separetly in two entry, reffering to each other entry?

If you choose to make multiple builds depicting your candidate, only one counts as an entry. Thus, only one needs to be 16x16. If you had the time or the inclination, you could make twelve 48x48 builds depicting your hero's mighty labors (or as many or as large as you choose), as long as your official entry was only 256 studs. The rest could be linked to your entry, but only one can be entered. You can build the others first, or the official entry first, depending on how you want to show it. 

So, is this one picture as well?  I was thinking of making one build but taking multiple pictures of it from various angles.  Is this allowed or will only one picture count?

6 hours ago, Grover said:

So, is this one picture as well?  I was thinking of making one build but taking multiple pictures of it from various angles.  Is this allowed or will only one picture count?

That would be fine. The limit is 256 studs with minimal overhang, but there is no height restriction nor limit to pictures. You could have a two-sided or multi-level build and have pictures to depict each level or side. 

The bracket is now posted in the second post of this thread! Check out your matchup: 

@ZCerberus, @Niku, @de Gothia, @cablefoxley, @MiloNelsiano, and @TitusV all have byes for the first round. 

@Wineyard vs. @The Last of Nergoue; @Faladrin vs. @derEselausErgste; @mlongworth vs. @Servertijd; @Henjin_Quilones vs. @dalle; @Brandon Stark vs. @chewbacher; @KevinyWu vs. @Zilmrud; @Full Plate vs. @TheLordOfBricks; @Grover vs. @LordBevis; @en_zoo vs. @Ailhbe; and @kahir88 vs. @The_Nev comprise the first round. Let's get building!

Hm... And if someone doesn't participate in the mini-challenge, that means his/her versus pair is automatically won that round?

6 hours ago, kahir88 said:

Hm... And if someone doesn't participate in the mini-challenge, that means his/her versus pair is automatically won that round?

Yes, that is correct. If the member you are paired with fails to build anything, you automatically advance. If participation is low, someone could make it pretty far before having any competition at all. But hopefully folks will get something built. I kept it small for a reason - anyone can build something 16x16, if you have any LEGO at all. 

Entry to rule Avalonia:

His name is Ardo Ungar, he is a knight-errant, in the service of Avalonia. He would do anything, to serve his guild and its people. Even, if he must change his helm, to a crown.

On 2/17/2019 at 3:50 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Ooh sweet! I'm up against Emil though! I'm dead... Looks cool anyways! :)

Only if he builds something! And there's no guarantee that he'll build something better than you, anyways, or at least that people will like better.

On 2/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

This looks fun

I hope so! Just a week or so left to get a build entered. 

15 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

So can we count these builds for HSS? Also, can you fulfill multiple HSS categories in one build? Thanks as always! :)

Yes, you can count them for HSS. And yes, you could in theory (if each part were substantial/detailed enough) fulfill an entire hamlet or more in one build, with a castle or something like that that has military, hospitality, agriculture, and various craftsmen about. 

Glad to see some more entries coming in! There are still two more days to get things posted, so I hope to see even more! Avalonians, don't miss your chance at the kingship of the Greatest and Greenest Guild!