Blondie-Wan

The LEGO Movie 2 SPOILER thread

can't figure out how to work the spoiler thing...

Edited by Reaper

Very good movie. Worthy successor unlike the more mediocre LEGO Batman and the Ninjago one.

My only complaint is WHERE ARE MY RUTH BADER GINSBURG and BRUCE WILLIS minifigures?!

Also is there a thread pointing out all the (significant) minifigures we saw but don't have? Like the fox suit guy.

Edited by BrickG

Went with my son today, who aptly called it awesome. The big twist was great fun to explain to him! I’m trying to recall when Apocalypseburg Green Lantern shows up. I must have blinked like most of the best characters/designs seemed to be.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:20 AM, Lyichir said:

As @Pdaitabird suggested at the beginning of the thread, it's so that people who are browsing through the recent activity page don't get bombarded with spoilers despite not specifically choosing to visit this topic.

Ah yes that makes sense good thinking and I should have read. :purrr:

This song stuck in my head over the song that was supposed to get stuck in your head:

When they started to go musical I was like 'uh no' :blush: but then the songs are really great.

Edited by koalayummies
Busted link

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

Went with my son today, who aptly called it awesome. The big twist was great fun to explain to him! I’m trying to recall when Apocalypseburg Green Lantern shows up. I must have blinked like most of the best characters/designs seemed to be.

Neither him or flashback Lucy appeared to my recollection 

7 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Neither him or flashback Lucy appeared to my recollection 

That’s true. Ah well, concept art bonuses!

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

That’s true. Ah well, concept art bonuses!

The original idea was probably to have the Justice League "accidently" leave him behind but then they changed it to fit TLBM into the timeline. 

While I enjoyed TLBM and TLNM, I haven't been as satisfied with a Lego film since the original, but this changed that! I loved Rex his character arc and the end was pretty great. I wasn't as much of a fan of some of the songs, but the jokes in this film! Amazing! My favorites were Benny referencing Radiohead, Bruce Willis, Bill and Ted, and "Marvel isn't returning our calls!" 

Edited by Barc
forgot a bit in a sentence

1 hour ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

The original idea was probably to have the Justice League "accidently" leave him behind but then they changed it to fit TLBM into the timeline. 

Yeah it must have had some purpose like that. It would have been a toss up between a gag in Apocalypseburg and him not really being seen until the end, or what they went with.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Lyichir said:

Hide contents

And yeah, the "how much is real?" question is raised again by the time travel, though like the flashback to Lord Business acquiring the Kragle in the first movie you could make a fairly strong case that Rex's backstory might be part of the conceit of his initial creation by Finn, rather than explicitly being an Emmet from the future in real life. Which isn't to say that backstory is any less real in the Lego world the characters inhabit...

The time travel never happened: It's a metaphor 

The Emmet/Rex fight represents Finn's inner conflict. He is becoming an adult and Rex is his vision of what adulthood is. He thinks that's the man he has to become: a tough, rude, etc....  because that's how men are portrayed on media: that's why Rex mentions a bunch of tropes of manly men (represented by Chris Pratt's roles). The time travel represents future Finn (Rex) coming back to the present to force present Finn (Emmet) to grow up. You can feel the pressure on Emmet right from the beggining of the film with the "toughen up" thing. There is even a nod to the Dark Ages, when Rex tells Emmet is time to stop playing with toys and move on. That's why he doesn't want to play to with his sister, even when she constantly tries to play with him. The struggle reaches its peak when Rex actually tries to take the Emmet minfigure apart. 

During the film, Finn realises that becoming a man doesn't mean he has to stop being sweet and kind and he can play with his sister whenever he can and also that becoming an adult means that everything won't be awesome all the time, but you can make things awesome again by keeping your child-self alive in your heart (Emmet). And that's why Lucy says at the end that she doesn't like tough Emmet, because Finn is forcing himself to be something he is not. 

At the end, Finn accepts he is an "Emmet" kind of guy and there is nothing wrong with that. So, he isn't looking forward to becoming a Rex anymore. That idea goes away from his head and that's why Rex vanishes at the end. 

Unikitty also plays into the metaphor: when Finn was a child, Unikity was pink and girly, but now he rejects that idea so she became red and warrior-like. It's only when the sister takes her, that Unikitty returns to her former version. 

Edited by Robert8

I was loving the movie until the scenes of the mother. She made me so angry that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the movie.

"Oh, you dropped an object from your hand? You are forbidden to search for it!" "Are you quarreling with your sibling that is normal in every family? Destroy everything you had worked for in the last 5+ years as a hobby!" And of course, "Don't you dare to give me any information, I know everything better without it!"

The character development of the father was really good in the first movie, it was one of the moments that made the movie a classic. It really annoys me the mother didn't have to change her point of view in the second one.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

There's a serious plot hole here and that is that if these two movies never happened (LEGO characters that is) then the writing is too good for it to be coming from this kid's mind. Therefore it must happen in some form, maybe through a parallel universe tied to the consciousness of people where actions from one affect the other but neither universe every notices.

:wink:

My favourite quote was from my (and my sons) favourite character Benny: "Don't touch me when I'm Spaceshipping!" to Balthazaar.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Emmet/Rex fight represents Finn's inner conflict. He is becoming an adult...

(*snip*)

Everything else you wrote can be true while the

time travel

can still happen. As with the first, there’s some ambiguity over whether the bulk of the movie is “real”. That these characters are toys of Finn, Bianca, the Man Upstairs, etc. doesn’t mean they can’t also be discrete sapient beings inhabiting another universe, one linked to this one via the imaginations and conventions of people in our world but not necessarily dependent upon it.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:37 PM, Robert8 said:

I just watched it. Unpopular opinion here: I liked this one bettet than TLM1. (I mean TLM1 was a better movie, but I just happen to like the sequel more). 

I saw it Saturday with my daughter (my husband and son were away at Winter Camp, more's the pity.  My kids are age 7 (her) and age 11 (him) So I see a lot of our house on the screen in this movie.

I do agree to liking this movie better than the previous one. Though both movies are favorites here.  During the movie, my daughter was up dancing in the aisle during several of the musical numbers and most of the credits (Until she ran out of energy).

One thing I noticed: (especially if you assume in this movie that the daughter is about the same age the son was in the first movie.) The son was better at building realistic buildings. But the daughter's building style is more creative overall.  And look how much care she took to include all of her brother's favorite characters primary motivators -- building separate sets focused on each of them.

I saw this movie as they each had a primary "Sig fig" that the other person didn't touch at all. And a set of characters that they were more likely to be the one that played with, but both could use.

After the movie we went to the store, and my daughter was chatting with me how she wanted "That one horn character"  (Unikitty).  Since all she had was $5 (That's her allowance), we felt the packets and found her one and she was quite pleased.  I also got her Emmet's Piece set to put on her dresser. She wants to give it to her brother after he has a chance to watch the movie and understand why its meaningful.

1 hour ago, leafan said:

My favourite quote was from my (and my sons) favourite character Benny: "Don't touch me when I'm Spaceshipping!" to Balthazaar.

In my screening at least Benny's lines got the biggest laughs, a personal favorite of mine is "I think I finally get Radiohead"

7 hours ago, teljesnegyzet said:

I was loving the movie until the scenes of the mother. She made me so angry that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the movie.

"Oh, you dropped an object from your hand? You are forbidden to search for it!" "Are you quarreling with your sibling that is normal in every family? Destroy everything you had worked for in the last 5+ years as a hobby!" And of course, "Don't you dare to give me any information, I know everything better without it!"

The character development of the father was really good in the first movie, it was one of the moments that made the movie a classic. It really annoys me the mother didn't have to change her point of view in the second one.

As a mother myself, just because quarreling happens between every kid set of siblings doesn't mean there should be no consequences.  The absolute worst punishment my parents could give my sister and I were to send us to our own rooms. We'd sit in our doorways and glare at each other instead of going into our room and playing with our room full of toys. These kids have other toys to play with. Note that putting the Legos away did not mean it was forever, they were playing happily again by the end of the movie. IT meant a time out was needed for them to remember they actually enjoy playing together and need to make more efforts not to just fight all the time.

I actually think part of the problem may be that she DIDN't actually follow through on these threats in the past. (though I get it. I like my kids playing with Lego. I don't want to take them away either!) And no, you can't always search for something you dropped when doing so means you aren't paying attention to what you are supposed to be doing.

Edited by Sarah

3 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

(*snip*)

Everything else you wrote can be true while the

Reveal hidden contents

time travel

can still happen. As with the first, there’s some ambiguity over whether the bulk of the movie is “real”. That these characters are toys of Finn, Bianca, the Man Upstairs, etc. doesn’t mean they can’t also be discrete sapient beings inhabiting another universe, one linked to this one via the imaginations and conventions of people in our world but not necessarily dependent upon it.

The time travel cant be real because

1. Rex would have dissapeared right after he saved Enmet from the Asteroid. Because that would have prevented Rex existance in first place

2. That would mean the Rexcelsior just appeared right in front of Finn. Or if Finn didnt see appear, at least it materialised without any explanation. Finn would have noticed if a huge spaceship appeared out of nowhere.

3. When Emmet-Rex went to change himself into this Rex Dangervest self, he took the Rex hairpiece out of Finn's inventory but that hair element is exclusive of the Rex minifigure. If Finn owns it, it means he already had the Rex minifigure

4. During the movie-before the reveal- you can hear Finn mentioning time travel while playing. That means thats a story he came up with to play with Emmet and Rex

30 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The time travel cant be real because

1. Rex would have dissapeared right after he saved Enmet from the Asteroid. Because that would have prevented Rex existance in first place

Time travel doesn’t exist for real and we don’t know whether it’s possible at all, much less what the rules are, but all of the various books, movies, shows, etc. that use it have their own interpretations and systems for it. There’s nothing saying it can’t work this way in the internal LEGO universe of the LCU.

2. That would mean the Rexcelsior just appeared right in front of Finn. Or if Finn didnt see appear, at least it materialised without any explanation. Finn would have noticed if a huge spaceship appeared out of nowhere.

Not sure about this.

3. When Emmet-Rex went to change himself into this Rex Dangervest self, he took the Rex hairpiece out of Finn's inventory but that hair element is exclusive of the Rex minifigure. If Finn owns it, it means he already had the Rex minifigure

There’s a fair number of LEGO elements in these movies that have never existed in reality prior to being designed for these movies. Certainly I don’t think we’re meant to surmise that Finn owns sets from a movie in which he himself (Finn) is a character.

4. During the movie-before the reveal- you can hear Finn mentioning time travel while playing. That means thats a story he came up with to play with Emmet and Rex

Sure, but that doesn’t mean Emmet and Rex weren’t also doing it on their own.

As I see it (and have said before), I think the LEGO universe of these movies exists not solely in the imaginations of Finn, Bianca, the Man Upstairs, etc., but in an alternate dimension that is linked to this one. Events in either one affect the other, but it goes both ways, and both universes also still have some independent existence. Maybe Emmet / Rex time-traveled because Finn thought about it, but maybe Finn thought about it because Emmet / Rex did it.

Think of Star Trek. The mirror universe doesn’t exist simply because characters in “our” Trek universe thought of it; it exists independently, with its own history, and once in a while characters, ships, etc. from one universe are able to pass into the other and affect things, but for the most part it exists on its own, with things that are similar to the things in the main universe in some ways but different in others. Something similar exists in the world of G4 My Little Pony, with the main universe with Equestria and the alternate Equestria Girls universe. Numerous such alternate universes are part of both the Marvel and DC universes. I think there’s something similar in the LCU, with both an in-universe LEGO universe where Emmet, Unikitty, etc. actually exist as sapient beings, and an alternate world much like our own, with “real”,”regular” humans and such, and in which Emmet, Unikitty, etc. exist but are simply inanimate toys, albeit ones that humans like Finn play with and conceptualize as being alive. These universes are linked in some way, such that events in one reflect and influence the other, but both still exist independently, and the LEGO characters are sometimes able to leave their universe and enter “our” “real” one.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

2 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

In my screening at least Benny's lines got the biggest laughs, a personal favorite of mine is "I think I finally get Radiohead"

Oh I must have missed that one. Do you know the context?

Also, I've just realised that they didn't even explain Benny's metal arm, which makes the Space Squad Benny seem even more out-of-place.

What did you think of the small space-base scene? I doubt we're getting a set now, but at least it fit with Benny.

For example, I didn't think that Metalbeard's vision was particularly fitting.

Just now, leafan said:

Oh I must have missed that one. Do you know the context?

Spoiler

When they're singing Everything's not Awesome.

Just now, leafan said:

Also, I've just realised that they didn't even explain Benny's metal arm, which makes the Space Squad Benny seem even more out-of-place.

What do you mean by that?

Just now, leafan said:

What did you think of the small space-base scene? I doubt we're getting a set now, but at least it fit with Benny

At least we'll probably get the crystal spaceship!

2 minutes ago, leafan said:

For example, I didn't think that Metalbeard's vision was particularly fitting.

How so?

Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

When they're singing Everything's not Awesome.

Oooooh ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

What do you mean by that?

Well Benny doesn't have a metal arm in Benny's Space Squad, but he does in the movie. The movie arm is not explained (unless I had a major brain shutdown).

At least we'll probably get the crystal spaceship!

We can only hope; and it did look fantastic.

How so?

Well he was flying some kind of pirate disco spaceship. If I were to picture a fitting dream scenario for Metalbeard, it'd be living a scurvy life at sea with lots of rum and a ship to put the Titanic to shame (but made of wood and piratey). Yarr.

Just now, leafan said:

Well Benny doesn't have a metal arm in Benny's Space Squad, but he does in the movie. The movie arm is not explained (unless I had a major brain shutdown).

In the scene with the space squad he's in his classic design

In the scene with the space squad he's in his classic design

Ah ok, it was so fast that I hadn't noticed.

I do like the metal arm though. Pity I haven't been lucky enough to get the CMF Benny yet - I'm terrible at feeling packs.