Blondie-Wan

The LEGO Movie 2 SPOILER thread

I have to agree with @Robert8's synopsis about Emmet/Rex being an inner conflict regarding the masculinity tropes, loss of innocence, maturity etc. Whether its time travel or not isn't as important as the overall message about growing up but not losing some of the good qualities you had as a kid and that was summarized well.

11 hours ago, Sarah said:

One thing I noticed: (especially if you assume in this movie that the daughter is about the same age the son was in the first movie.) The son was better at building realistic buildings. But the daughter's building style is more creative overall.  And look how much care she took to include all of her brother's favorite characters primary motivators -- building separate sets focused on each of them.

If we're attributing what was built and seen in the minifigure story to the live-action characters then technically the dad built almost all of Bricksburg and most of the rest of the 'worlds' the first movie took place in. However Finn was very good at utilizing what was available in those worlds to build new things and also heavily modifying existing builds to his liking while retaining the original parts and aesthetic; the various vehicles built from the surrounding scenes (pig wagon and glider, alleyway tricycle, cloud cuckoo submarine), bad cop's super secret police builds, the citizen's transformed uprising battle vehicles, construct-o-mech and so on.

Definitely agree that based on the Systar system builds that the sister has very refined and advanced building skills, especially considering her age, utilizing a lot of SNOT with a very sleek/smooth, clean, futuristic and cohesive style. It easily rivals Finn's skill and given that she is younger one could argue she might even be better. Sweet Mayhems starship is a beautiful build so much so that even Benny is swooning over it while they still think she's the enemy and the Party Bus makes his spaceshipspaceshipspaceship from the first movie (Finn's build) look like a fragile blocky exposed-stud 1980's hot-mess.

And excellent video @Digger of Bricks. The way we're using it makes it an adult thing. :excited:

4 hours ago, koalayummies said:

the Party Bus makes his spaceshipspaceshipspaceship from the first movie (Finn's build) look like a fragile blocky exposed-stud 1980's hot-mess.

How dare you! :grin:

2 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:
  Hide contents

So if the Duplons aren't evil why is the literal first thing they say "We are here to destroy you" ?

My guess? They're just as bad at communication as Queen Watevra, maybe even moreso (and without an ice-cream butler to correct their slips of the tongue).

Alternatively, they WERE originally there to destroy and Emmet's offer of peace really did get through to them (hence Queen Watevra, the personification of Emmet's peace offering, being made their new leader).

12 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Hide contents

My guess? They're just as bad at communication as Queen Watevra, maybe even moreso (and without an ice-cream butler to correct their slips of the tongue).

Alternatively, they WERE originally there to destroy and Emmet's offer of peace really did get through to them (hence Queen Watevra, the personification of Emmet's peace offering, being made their new leader).

Spoiler

I really like the second suggestion, I'm accepting that as my personal headcanon. Now all we need is to figure out: 

.Where did Vitruvius go  

.Why if the catchy song wasn't brainwashing why did

A) The harmony town residents act so weirdly

B) Why did Batman and Emmet dance against their will

.Why the Man upstairs no longer cares for LEGO

.Why the heck were the Fabulanders enslaved

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

6 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:
  Hide contents

I really like the second suggestion, I'm accepting that as my personal headcanon. Now all we need is to figure out: 

.Where did Vitruvius go  

.Why if the catchy song wasn't brainwashing why did

A) The harmony town residents act so weirdly

--In the sister's eyes, this was not weird. When watching a musical, you do not think the characters are acting weirdly!

B) Why did Batman and Emmet dance against their will

.Why the Man upstairs no longer cares for LEGO

He really liked the LEgo world he was building up. When it was being destroyed and rebuilt by the kids, he vacated the premises to prevent getting angry at the chaos, letting their imagination run wild. There will be time later to make his careful Lego setups, after all.  Even at Lego exhibitions, they are "No touch, just look"

.Why the heck were the Fabulanders enslaved

44 minutes ago, Sarah said:
Spoiler

--In the sister's eyes, this was not weird. When watching a musical, you do not think the characters are acting weirdly!

Spoiler

But during musicals people don't randomly start liking people the hate and try to chase, swarm and capture the some random people that they see walk into their town, it's not like Emmet and Rex were posing any threat (Well Rex was but they didn't know that at the time)

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

Spoiler

I was just relistening to "Gotham City Guys". And... this is fairly sophisticated manipulation out of an 8 or 9 year old.  (My daughter just turned 7.5  I hope she isn't aware of this by a year from now!)

Though I guess I could see a child doing a more basic form of this.  Especially when they are playing both characters. "I don't want you anyway. Now... Superman" picking up another figure close to hand. "That's a cool guy."  And then batman "Wait a moment. I'm better than Superman!"  Though you'd think something like this would come more with outside force (like a brother saying "Batman wouldn't marry her. He's a loner type of guy!"  Though my daughter tends to copy her older brother rather than oppose him (And their fights come into more of him wanting her to branch out on her own more. But he's better at coming up with better combinations and she innately sees that what he's come up with is so cool!... ) IF he's playing with a guy on a motor-cycle mech, she wants her animal-guy to have a robot and a method of transportation as well.  I have not yet seen them claim a figure for their own. They do tend to have different sorts of figures they play with so there isn't a lot of fighting over that.  And when they have instructions they can work together to put together something like the Hobbit Hole.

The Duplaliens saying "We are here to destroy you" thing is probably how Finn sees his sister's "invasion" 

About the Fabulanders, we don't know if they were actually slaves, right? They weren't shown suffering or being whipped 

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

About the Fabulanders, we don't know if they were actually slaves, right? They weren't shown suffering or being whipped 

That's just the sorta vibe I got with the lighting of the shot and how those were some very, VERY sad looking puppies (Then again maybe their just upset they don't get the day of the royal wedding off work!) 

Saw the film again and noticed a couple new things

Spoiler

.At some point Bad Cop became a master builder as he's seen building with everyone else during "Everything's not awesome"

.during the live action segments you can briefly see a red classic space guy and the ultra sonic radar With what looks like Kai and Cole inside the cockpits (Well red and black smudges inside at least)

.and weirdest of all during the credits there are two Minilanders who look like Spiderman and Donald Trump

Well it seems the Ghotam City Guys song is already outdated

We need to add Armie Hammer :laugh:

On 2/20/2019 at 3:20 PM, Renny The Spaceman said:

Saw the film again and noticed a couple new things

Reveal hidden contents

.At some point Bad Cop became a master builder as he's seen building with everyone else during "Everything's not awesome"

.during the live action segments you can briefly see a red classic space guy and the ultra sonic radar With what looks like Kai and Cole inside the cockpits (Well red and black smudges inside at least)

.and weirdest of all during the credits there are two Minilanders who look like Spiderman and Donald Trump

Bad Cop was always a Master Builder. Originally, he was a traitor to the other Master Builders, using his skills in the service of Lord Business. He was able to transform his car rapidly, and also built the Super Secret Police fleet, which was then kraguled. He was also the best fighter in the entire film, able to smash an army of his own robots.

7 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

Bad Cop was always a Master Builder. Originally, he was a traitor to the other Master Builders, using his skills in the service of Lord Business. He was able to transform his car rapidly, and also built the Super Secret Police fleet, which was then kraguled. He was also the best fighter in the entire film, able to smash an army of his own robots.

Where'd you hear that from?