Blondie-Wan

The LEGO Movie 2 SPOILER thread

A bunch of us have seen the movie already during last week’s early screening, yet everyone who hasn’t seen it yet has to wait until at least February 8th, and in some cases a bit longer given their countries’ local releases (never mind individual circumstances that may keep folks from seeing the movie at earliest opportunity). I therefore thought it might be good to have a dedicated thread for a little while in which everyone here who’s seen it can discuss it to their hearts’ content, with no fear of spoiling it for those still waiting. Perhaps after a while (after it goes to video, say), the thread could be merged with the main thread to unite all discussion in a single thread, and in the meantime both the have-seens and the haven’t-seens can discuss it at length without the one group ruining it for the other.

Mods, does that sound good for you?

This looks like a good idea! Might I suggest using spoiler tags for all posts in this topic for a while, so that people who browse the "All Activity" page won't see anything? (That's how I found this topic.)

Sure, go ahead here! People get all weird about spoilers, but others who have seen a film want to chat.

Go ahead and someone @ me when we want a merge. After a sensible amount of time of course.

(I have tickets for Sunday 10th!)

Woo, okay, glad to have the all clear to chat about it! Saw it last week and haven't been able to get it out of my head.

Really loved the songs, especially Queen Watevra Wa'Nabi's intro song. Really wasn't sure whether I'd feel her as a character but from that song onward I was sold. She's so charismatic!

I also really liked how this one built off of (heh) the first one. I've seen a lot of people joking about "The Second Part" being a pretty undescriptive subtitle, but to me it really did feel like a "part two" of a larger story. Wyldstyle's arc was filled out really well with the backstory reveal that she was one of the original performers of Everything is Awesome and her arc in this movie, realizing that she didn't need to hide that part of herself just to "grow up". The fact that she got to really "be the hero" in this one by both breaking into the real world like Emmet did in the first one and quite literally saving Emmet from himself only added to that.

Speaking of which, the reveal about Rex did take me by surprise, but in a good way. It neatly paralleled with Finn's mild identity crisis as he tried to reconcile his childlike interest in Lego with the societal expectations placed on teenage boys to graduate into "cooler" and "more mature" interests.

6 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

/spoiler/  lego /endspoiler/

can someone remind me how to do these

[ spoiler ] at the start of the spoiler tag

[ /spoiler ] at the end of the spoiler tag

But without the spaces inside the brackets.

On desktop browsers, at least, there's also an eye symbol above the text entry field (beside the smileys) that will automatically add spoiler tags for you.

18 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Woo, okay, glad to have the all clear to chat about it! Saw it last week and haven't been able to get it out of my head.

*snip*

Same here.

Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi’s intro song, “Not Evil”, is possibly my favorite of all the songs now from all of the four LEGO movies to date (even if “Everything is Awesome” and its new inversion here are more broadly applicable to day-to-day existence). This one seems to have both the most songs and the best songs of all the movies in the series so far, and I do hope they continue to push future installments into being outright musicals. I know not everyone will agree, of course. Personally, I’m dying to get the soundtrack, as the brief snippet of “Not Evil” that’s been made available online isn’t enough for me, though I’ve been playing it over and over.

The Rex reveal - not the initial “villain” one, but the ultimate “Emmet from the future” one - is a very nice surprise indeed. It fits the movie’s theme well, illustrating a real downside to societal expectations of gender, while also raising interesting questions re: the “how much of this is ‘real’?” discussions we’ve been having about the LCU since The LEGO Movie first hit us five years ago (!!! - tangentially, where did all this time go?!).

I love the new characters, and hope to be able to pick up all the sets, as I tried so very hard to do with the first movie.

One minor quibble I have has carried over from The LEGO Batman Movie, which was the first of these to incorporate a bunch of licensed pop-culture entertainment properties that don’t have actual physical LEGO themes IRL. I admit I find things like the Die Hard and Bill & Ted references entertaining, but at the same time a bit of a cheat.

But still, wow. I’m glad to see additional nods to the greater multiverse history of LEGO, like with the Fabuland characters. It’s too bad there isn’t much room for a few more things like Bionicle, as mentioned in the other thread, but there’s so much here already it’s probably just plain difficult to stuff more in.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

5 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

*snip*

Same here.

Hide contents

The Rex reveal - not the initial “villain” one, but the ultimate “Emmet from the future” one - is a very nice surprise indeed. It fits the movie’s theme well, illustrating a real downside to societal expectations of gender, while also raising interesting questions re: the “how much of this is ‘real’?” discussions we’ve been having about the LCU since The LEGO Movie first hit us five years ago (!!! - tangentially, where did all this time go?!). 

On the subject of gender, I'm quite pleased with how well this movie tackled elements of toxic masculinity (in particular, Rex being casually inclined toward violence to solve problems and emotionally closing himself off from everybody else) without explicitly naming it or attacking the concept of "masculinity" in general. By instead framing Rex's negative personality traits as a side effect of trying to achieve "maturity" by discarding kindness and sentimentality, I can only hope that important moral will better reach the people who need it most.

And yeah, the "how much is real?" question is raised again by the time travel, though like the flashback to Lord Business acquiring the Kragle in the first movie you could make a fairly strong case that Rex's backstory might be part of the conceit of his initial creation by Finn, rather than explicitly being an Emmet from the future in real life. Which isn't to say that backstory is any less real in the Lego world the characters inhabit...

11 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Hide contents

On the subject of gender, I'm quite pleased with how well this movie tackled elements of toxic masculinity (in particular, Rex being casually inclined toward violence to solve problems and emotionally closing himself off from everybody else) without explicitly naming it or attacking the concept of "masculinity" in general. By instead framing Rex's negative personality traits as a side effect of trying to achieve "maturity" by discarding kindness and sentimentality, I can only hope that important moral will better reach the people who need it most.

And yeah, the "how much is real?" question is raised again by the time travel, though like the flashback to Lord Business acquiring the Kragle in the first movie you could make a fairly strong case that Rex's backstory might be part of the conceit of his initial creation by Finn, rather than explicitly being an Emmet from the future in real life. Which isn't to say that backstory is any less real in the Lego world the characters inhabit...

I wish I could upvote your posts here. I guess I’ll have to settle for this:

:thumbup:

16 hours ago, Lyichir said:

[ spoiler ] at the start of the spoiler tag

[ /spoiler ] at the end of the spoiler tag

But without the spaces inside the brackets.

On desktop browsers, at least, there's also an eye symbol above the text entry field (beside the smileys) that will automatically add spoiler tags for you.

Spoiler

thank you! 

I loved the movie. Of course I prefer the original but this was definitely a worthy and entertaining sequel.

I didn't notice any of the musical characters from the collectible minifigures actually in the movie. Did I just miss them?

Edited by Actor Builder

Oh! Another thought about this movie's five-year time skip...

One way I think it really helped the movie was, in addition to allowing the entire dynamic of the first movie's universe to change, was that it allowed the Duplo-age younger sister to age five years. So from around three-and-a-half to eight-and-a-half—more or less the same age as Finn in the first one. This is part of what helps the movie feel like more than a cliche "battle of the sexes" that would not only be something that has been done before but would also reflect badly on Finn and/or his sister in a very un-touching way. Instead, Finn's trouble getting along with his sister comes from his desire as a young teen to "grow up", and his sister's chaotic, uninhibited play style being a very concrete symbol of what he thinks he has to grow out of. And that in turn dovetails expertly with the conflict between Emmet and his "future self" Rex, who serves as a sort of dark mirror of what Emmet would be if he traded the kindness and childlike innocence he embodies for a more "mature" sense of macho aggression and repressed emotions.

Edited by Lyichir

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Oh! Another thought about this movie's five-year time skip...

Hide contents

One way I think it really helped the movie was, in addition to allowing the entire dynamic of the first movie's universe to change, was that it allowed the Duplo-age younger sister to age five years. So from around three-and-a-half to eight-and-a-half—more or less the same age as Finn in the first one. This is part of what helps the movie feel like more than a cliche "battle of the sexes" that would not only be something that has been done before but would also reflect badly on Finn and/or his sister in a very un-touching way. Instead, Finn's trouble getting along with his sister comes from his desire as a young teen to "grow up", and his sister's chaotic, uninhibited play style being a very concrete symbol of what he thinks he has to grow out of. And that in turn dovetails expertly with the conflict between Emmet and his "future self" Rex, who serves as a sort of dark mirror of what Emmet would be if he traded the kindness and childlike innocence he embodies for a more "mature" sense of macho aggression and repressed emotions.

I agree with all of that. You guys are really diving into this deep critical analysis and I'm loving it. I've been so busy and barely made time to see the prerelease, let alone digest it entirely, but seeing what you guys think is great.

Just saw it, and I really enjoyed it. It was good fun, the songs are memorable, and...

Spoiler

I really liked the time skip and the inclusion of more real world stuff. They did a great job with this entry.

I saw the movie yesterday and in my opinion it was the best LEGO cinematographic movie ever (TLM2>TLBM>TLM>TLNM) and actually first LEGO cinematographic movie with good jokes. It reminded me Maze Runner and Scorch Trials a lot. The change, questions about leader, post-apocalyptic city, the This song's gonna get stuck in your head song was like fire juice and a lot more.

And when I discovered that Rex Dangervest is antagonist, it was the best movie surprise I've ever experienced.:iamded_lol: I really didn't expect that.

Spoiler

So all you people are taking about theming and twists and whatever i'm here focusing on the REAL interesting stuff...

... Anyone else notice how this is the first LEGO movie without the that one diver from LEGO Minifigures series one being represented in it?

Saw the movie last night, loved every minute of it!

So is there gonna be like a deleted scene or something where we see a flashback of Lucy and her band? Because I didn't see Lucy in that outfit from the minifigure series (besides the hair) or those other three colorful pop singers, unless they were just background characters I missed.

I just watched it. Unpopular opinion here: I liked this one bettet than TLM1. (I mean TLM1 was a better movie, but I just happen to like the sequel more). 

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I just watched it. Unpopular opinion here: I liked this one bettet than TLM1. (I mean TLM1 was a better movie, but I just happen to like the sequel more). 

I've actually heard that opinion a lot.

I disagree, personally, but it's good that people are liking it.

Spoiler

I loved the film, it was funny, had lot's of heart some great references to the other 3 LEGO movies and had lots of heart but everybody's already talked about that so here's a couple weird things I want to just point out here, not criticisms just weird things:

.Unikitty and Metalbeard felt really underutilised, this is especially weird as Unikitty's face was slapped on so much merch for this film

.In the film said that there was no brainwashing going on so the inhabitants of Harmony Town must just have really bad Social Skills

. At the start of the film there's a scene where the Duplons start crying and when the food vendor shoves sausages IN his head to block out the sound, that's not how Minifigures work

.When Rex is getting the pieces from all the time machines Bill and Ted can be seen next to their time machine despite never having a LEGO set whereas the Doctor isn't by his

.The whole Superman, Green lantern dynamic is now changed, wonder how that will play out in future films

5 hours ago, npgcole said:

Saw the movie last night, loved every minute of it!

Hide contents

So is there gonna be like a deleted scene or something where we see a flashback of Lucy and her band? Because I didn't see Lucy in that outfit from the minifigure series (besides the hair) or those other three colorful pop singers, unless they were just background characters I missed.

Spoiler

The singers weren't Lucy's band, just sistar civilians ( They're seen on the party bus with Benny, Metalbeard and Unikitty)

Having finally seen the movie, I think it's definitely a step up from the first movie in terms of complexity of storytelling, though I think it's hard to say whether it's a "better movie" since unlike, say, some Marvel sequels, it DOES depend heavily on the previous movie as setup.

On the plus side, it's not as incomplete a story on its own as, say, The Empire Strikes Back., which lacks either the setup provided by A New Hope nor the satisfying conclusion provided by Return of the Jedi.

A lot of my more specific and spoilery thoughts line up pretty neatly with what Lyi brought up when he saw it earlier. It did a really good job of giving its female characters (new and old alike) narratives that didn't revolve around their male co-stars. I also think that it did a really good job not only bringing in more feminine-coded styles of LEGO building and play but also storytelling tropes associated with more feminine-coded movies:

a (so-not-) evil queen, lots of excellent musical numbers, a climactic wedding, etc.

I've also seen some criticism of

The Man Upstairs and President Business having a relatively small presence in this movie, but I think that is fitting. It helps establish TMU as a bit of an absentee father even beyond the way he segregated his "playtime" from his kids' playtime in the first movie, which helps to give his spouse a more unique role within the family as the one who picks up the slack when fights break out between the two children. It's not so extreme that he no longer feels sympathetic, but it makes the family feel very "real" to give them some conflicts and dysfunctional character traits beyond those which specifically drive the action in the two movies. What's more, considering the previous three LEGO movies all had themes that could be connected very specifically with father-son relationships, it's nice not to have that kind of dynamic stealing the spotlight from this movie's core themes.

As far as character cameos go, I particularly loved seeing

Matthew Ashton's

Unikitty plushie, the Duplo and Super Hero Girls versions of Wonder Woman, and a bunch of Apocalypseburg versions of established LEGO Movie characters. It was also amusing how Rex's raptors were all named after sci-fi movie protagonists (Ripley, Conner, etc).

That said, as primarily a fan of non-licensed, character-driven themes like Elves, Ninjago, and Bionicle, I kind of wish there had been more prominent cameos for characters from those themes.

The end credits sequence also had not only a funny song, but some really amazing animation! Neat that it used a Minilander style to depict the characters we're used to seeing as minifigures, mini-dolls, and brick-built characters.

Also…

Is it just me, or does "master breaking" sound almost like a very

different sort of ability that a boy like Finn might be learning about at 13-and-a-half years old? :tongue:

18 hours ago, koalayummies said:

If this is a spoiler thread then why does everything need spoiler tags? Will turn on no script for this thread :tongue:

As @Pdaitabird suggested at the beginning of the thread, it's so that people who are browsing through the recent activity page don't get bombarded with spoilers despite not specifically choosing to visit this topic.

Anyway, after my first rewatch I'm much more confident in my judgment of this one as on-par with the first one. Both of them are not only incredibly funny but also good at making me tear up at the most emotional moments.

6 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:
  Hide contents

At the start of the film Vitruvius is swatted away by Metalbeard and never seen again for the rest of the film, is he double dead or something? *huh*

He's on double secret probation.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:46 PM, Actor Builder said:

Hide contents

thank you! 

I loved the movie. Of course I prefer the original but this was definitely a worthy and entertaining sequel.

I didn't notice any of the musical characters from the collectible minifigures actually in the movie. Did I just miss them?

Spoiler

I saw all but Kitty Pop.