Sucram

[MOD] Simple X-Wing Modifications (75218)

Hi there, today I'd like to share a few simple and easy to do modifications on the 2018 75218 X-Wing.

First off, the back section of the X-Wing has some issues. The top part of the back area doesnt smoothly continue all the way to the end, but rather cuts off towards the end. I fixed this by simply adding longer tiles and adding a 2x2 plate at the back. You could also use a 2x2 tile if you prefer.  

46953674511_7533500348_b.jpgX Wing Back 2 by Sucram H, on Flickr

I also redid the greebling by extending the middle part up by 1 stud so it's flush with the plate at the top. This gives the back a much better look if you ask me.

33078240088_e07c6b1af0_c.jpgX Wing Back 1 by Sucram H, on Flickr

I also changed the colour of the actuator to change the wings from tan to dark grey, so it doesnt stand out as much. I would've removed the actuator altogether and replaced it with greebling, but I wanted to keep as many of the features intact as possible.

Next I redmade the cannons so they didn't have the spring-loaded shooters on them. Normally I actually like having the shooters on my builds, but on this set they just look big and bulky. I also extended the ends of the cannons to make them longer and more accurate.

46953672291_d7cea33633_b.jpgX wing cannons by Sucram H, on Flickr

I also managed to get rid of the gaps on either side of R2D2 by attaching a 1x2 jumper plate to both of his legs, which still allows you to take him in and out while making that area look a lot more complete.

46229015074_2661ca6596_b.jpgX Wing R2D2 1 by Sucram H, on Flickr

So those are all the adjustments I've made so far, next on the to-do list would definitely be the huge gaps in the engines. I would love to get some feedback on this and perhaps some modifications that you guys have made to your X-Wings!

For more pictures of my modificatons, check out my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/sucram_h/

Edited by LEGODrongo01

Nice result overall, I still haven't bought this set (waiting for a substantial discount) but still the first thing I'd change after building it are the cannons. Can I ask what parts did you use for the tips? I recognize the 4L bar and the small dish, but then I'm not sure about the cone/icecream/original cannon setup.

Okay, now that I looked a bit closer I assume it's a 6L bar with the stopper thicker thing at the top, not a 4L.

Edited by Per_SW
self-answered question

ItalicKeyboard shortcut Ctrl+I

Just now, Per_SW said:

Nice result overall, I still haven't bought this set (waiting for a substantial discount) but still the first thing I'd change after building it are the cannons. Can I ask what parts did you use for the tips? I recognize the 4L bar and the small dish, but then I'm not sure about the cone/icecream/original cannon setup.

Okay, now that I looked a bit closer I assume it's a 6L bar with the stopper thicker thing at the top, not a 4L.

Yeah its a dark grey bar with the stopper thing near the end, shoved into light grey bar with the pin at the end. then just a dark grey cone and the dish.

17 hours ago, Lfm55 said:

You can check this topic too for some other mods :

That topic has a lot of good stuff! Will definitely investigate further

Looking great! One more thing, the engines aren't supposed to be flush with the side of the wings. They should stick out a little.

17 hours ago, Reaper said:

Looking great! One more thing, the engines aren't supposed to be flush with the side of the wings. They should stick out a little.

Yeah i am aware of that and will attempt to fix that eventually

Thanks for linking to my mods LegoDrongo!

I was wondering how to fill that gap in the engines, without rebuilding anyway. Jerac suggested adding an extra cylinder to the engines to better match their length in the real ship (hah, real) and that’s a great quick fix as the bigger size draws your eye away from the gap.

Your mods look great, keep going, it’s a beautiful set but looks amazing when you tidy up the obvious eyesores :)

Edited by mcphatty

On 2/4/2019 at 8:10 PM, mcphatty said:

Thanks for linking to my mods LegoDrongo!

I was wondering how to fill that gap in the engines, without rebuilding anyway. Jerac suggested adding an extra cylinder to the engines to better match their length in the real ship (hah, real) and that’s a great quick fix as the bigger size draws your eye away from the gap.

Your mods look great, keep going, it’s a beautiful set but looks amazing when you tidy up the obvious eyesores :)

This guy managed to fix the gap and it looks far better 

but you do need more of those angled corner tiles. so i need to do another bricklink order eventually

He’s done a good job! I guess there’s some modified bricks in there for the tile to hang on to? Time to have another play with the X-Wing! How’s your mod coming along?

16 hours ago, mcphatty said:

He’s done a good job! I guess there’s some modified bricks in there for the tile to hang on to? Time to have another play with the X-Wing! How’s your mod coming along?

He has pics of how its built on his Flickr. I haven't touched mine since I started this topic. I think I want to fully finish my Millennium Falcon MOC first (pics of my Flickr) and then go back to the X Wing. The grind never stops with sets like these.