A stadium would be nice, but I'm really surprised that they chose another stadium instead of other iconic landmarks. Perhaps something like Neuschwanstein Castle can sell better...

Of course, if it is based on a very popular stadium, the sales can be a lot better.

Can these stadiums be said to be part of the landmark sub-theme?  Perhaps Lego is starting a separate sport-related / stadium sub-theme.

I personally think it is a great choice, but the shape seem rather difficult to replicate in LEGO form. I'm expecting it to be another $300 set...

18 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I personally think it is a great choice

It’s really isn’t, it’s just the obvious commercial one.

Then again, poor Barcelona are almost bankrupt so could do with any financial assistance to offset Messi’s insane (now leaked) contract.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:48 AM, Lucarex said:

It’s really isn’t

Why not? It really is one of the most popular stadiums...

By the way, I created a separate topic for the Camp Nou Stadium:

53 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Why not? It really is one of the most popular stadiums...

Says who? It’s the largest in capacity but architecturally it’s an uninspiring stepped bowl and like Old Trafford, the reality is it’s a tired old crumbling wreck of a stadium. I’ve been a few times for matches and each time, it’s worse. 

But then again, similar to Man Utd,  Barcelona as a club is now in a very difficult place, crippled by debt, the Messi situation, an ineffective stopgap manager hired out of sentiment and ongoing ownership troubles.

Not sure who the armchair football fan is in Billund, but my understanding is that OT was massively overproduced and sales disappointing. Not sure why they think Camp Nou will be any different at the moment.

Edited by Lucarex

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Says who? It’s the largest in capacity but architecturally it’s an uninspiring stepped bowl and like Old Trafford, the reality is it’s a tired old crumbling wreck of a stadium.

The building techniques translated into LEGO form should be amazing...

I loved building OT so will pick this up, for me it isn't about the actual place, just the fact that they are making stadiums.  I have a lot of stadiums come to mind from all over the world they can do, but this line of builds is exciting to me, especially since it seems Architecture is now a dead line.

6 minutes ago, Herky said:

especially since it seems Architecture is now a dead line.

This isn’t true, just been on hiatus this year with the Colosseum a big focus.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:15 AM, Lucarex said:

This isn’t true, just been on hiatus this year with the Colosseum a big focus.

The Colosseum isn't in the Architecture line though.  We usually get 2 skylines every January, this year nothing.  Looks like nothing but a rumor of a possible set in August.  The Colosseum is ok, giant tan dog dish really, I felt it was not worth the cost.  I will take the OT stadium over the Colosseum myself.  To each their own.

33 minutes ago, Herky said:

The Colosseum isn't in the Architecture line though.  We usually get 2 skylines every January, this year nothing.  Looks like nothing but a rumor of a possible set in August.  The Colosseum is ok, giant tan dog dish really, I felt it was not worth the cost.  I will take the OT stadium over the Colosseum myself.  To each their own.

Yes but I don't think the same designer has the time to work on skyline sets directly after working on the largest set ever...

On 2/19/2021 at 3:26 PM, Lucarex said:

Says who? It’s the largest in capacity but architecturally it’s an uninspiring stepped bowl and like Old Trafford, the reality is it’s a tired old crumbling wreck of a stadium. I’ve been a few times for matches and each time, it’s worse. 

But then again, similar to Man Utd,  Barcelona as a club is now in a very difficult place, crippled by debt, the Messi situation, an ineffective stopgap manager hired out of sentiment and ongoing ownership troubles.

Not sure who the armchair football fan is in Billund, but my understanding is that OT was massively overproduced and sales disappointing. Not sure why they think Camp Nou will be any different at the moment.

These once great clubs that are no longer the best in their own domestic leagues are still popular in Asia. I guess they hope to sell to the worldwide fanbase that grew when those clubs were running high, rather than going for current top of the league clubs.

The problem with doing football stadiums is that the sport is incredibly tribal. Yes, Old Trafford will get sales from Man United fans, but I can't imagine many fans of other Premier League clubs wanting Old Trafford on their shelves. Something like Wimbledon is a safer bed, imo - nobody will avoid buying Wimbledon because they support Wimbledon'S rivals. 

That said, the blue blooded side of me desperately wants a Stamford Bridge with King Ossie as the GWP. 

30 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

The problem with doing football stadiums is that the sport is incredibly tribal. Yes, Old Trafford will get sales from Man United fans, but I can't imagine many fans of other Premier League clubs wanting Old Trafford on their shelves. Something like Wimbledon is a safer bed, imo - nobody will avoid buying Wimbledon because they support Wimbledon'S rivals. 

That said, the blue blooded side of me desperately wants a Stamford Bridge with King Ossie as the GWP. 

Unless you’re an MK Dons fan, in which case you might be triggered by references to “Wimbledon”. 😂

2 minutes ago, autolycus said:

Unless you’re an MK Dons fan

What...all two of them? 😁

21 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Yes but I don't think the same designer has the time to work on skyline sets directly after working on the largest set ever...

That's the problem then, get a different designer, look at all the MOC's out there and work out some kind of deal with the creator, something...Lego is dropping the ball.

56 minutes ago, Herky said:

That's the problem then, get a different designer, look at all the MOC's out there and work out some kind of deal with the creator, something...Lego is dropping the ball.

You say that but RZK has been instrumental in pretty much every Architecture set over the last few years but spent the last 12 months or more focused on the ridiculously flexing Colosseum set, not to mention his input on HP Diagon Alley.

As for your resource suggestion, why would they backfill his role or contract out an external designer just to keep to a schedule of Skyline releases, particularly in a year when all international travel (a big part of impulse sales of these “tourist attraction” sets) has been suspended? It doesn’t make sense. 

Anyway, it looks like we’re getting some sort of Architecture set in August but subject is unknown at the moment. I only hope it’s not a rebuild of an older set like we saw with the Burj Khalifa or the White House. Some more creative imagination needed. 

10 hours ago, Herky said:

Yes, but I'm afraid other designers may not have that much experience and the set will probably get a huge amount of criticism...

Edited by JintaiZ

Hahaha just came here to post the same thing!  It’s enormous!  Also, at 5509 pieces, it’s the third largest landmark ever behind Colosseum and Taj Mahal.  It’ll be the 8th largest set ever, behind World Map, Colosseum, Millennium Falcon, Hogwarts Castle, Taj Mahal, Ninjago City Gardens, and Diagon Alley, 4 of which have at some stage been the world’s largest Lego set.