It's literally something I'd expect to see at a display exhibition... But as an actual set? I just can't see how they can think this is so interesting that soooo many people would buy it given how huuuuge it is (the outer front wall has 1x4 brick arches so that gives a sense)... And how costly it will be, given how it'll be competing with a ton of other stuff that already has a strong following! 

I get the architecture sets, nice little desk display pieces.... 

I don't think even Hagrid would have a desk big enough for this... 

Don't get me wrong, it looks 'nice', but that's about it. It's just 'nice'. It's almost the size that has the wow factor, and that doesn't last long. 

So a massive and overpriced Lego Creator Expert set of an ancient once-feared sporting arena, synonymous with misery and suffering for thousands (since 2013), an “amphitheatre of screams” if you like, but now a sad dilapidated crumbling ruin that only attracts day-tripping tourists...

You have to wonder...did they just copy the brief from Old Trafford?

Edited by Lucarex

12 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

It's literally something I'd expect to see at a display exhibition... But as an actual set? ...

Don't get me wrong, it looks 'nice', but that's about it. It's just 'nice'. It's almost the size that has the wow factor, and that doesn't last long. 

Sums up my opinions too. A small Architecture style one, I'm in. A large object more in scale with something you'd see in a museum, no chance. I'll look at it in store then that will be enough for me.

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

So a massive and overpriced Lego Creator Expert set of an ancient once-feared sporting arena, synonymous with misery and suffering for thousands (since 2013), an “amphitheatre of screams” if you like, but now a sad dilapidated crumbling ruin that only attracts day-tripping tourists...

:-) The similarities are amazing. 

On 10/8/2020 at 2:22 AM, Lucarex said:

Lol well done ?

Is the Colosseum a November release? Or are the November releases the Saturn V and Ship in a Bottle?

Seems weird that TLG wouldn't do any extended teasing for what is rumored to be their largest set to date. If it is to come out in November, maybe we'll get a reveal next week? The 1st is just over two weeks away... :shrug_confused:

39 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Thanks. Quite the precedent for IDEAS and not in a good way. Both sets were available for a relatively long period within the last 2-3 years so I’m not buying “popular demand”.

Can’t help but feel that’s also a bit of a kick in the nuts to all the fantastic and worthy projects summarily rejected and takes up production time that could be more creatively used elsewhere.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:22 AM, Lucarex said:

Spot on.  So many significant buildings in the world that would be wonderful lego sets.  So many.  Instead, we get something that will look like an oversized, dirty brown dog food dish.

I was watching a documentary on Mont Saint-Michel and I have to agree that the Colosseum may not be one of the best uses for 9000+ pieces...

DrBNnCAVsAA2Gb_.jpg

Seems like nobody is interested in Colosseum...I'll definitely give it a fair chance.  Personally I've liked all the Landmark sets so far, so we'll see how this one turns out. 

20 hours ago, Calvinw said:

Seems like nobody is interested in Colosseum...I'll definitely give it a fair chance.  Personally I've liked all the Landmark sets so far, so we'll see how this one turns out. 

Oh I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Colosseum. However, one has to admit that some of the Landmark sets that are basically four symmetrical corners (Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge) can become a bit repetitive in their building experience...

I really want to see the set from a forward-facing angle. The shape looked good on a first look, but upon comparing with some pictures of the real thing:

Colisee2-V.jpg

(Similar angle to that of the leaked pic.)

The LEGO version looks a bit squished on the sides. Anyway, leaked pics are always tricky, so I trust that official pictures will do the set justice.

Now, if only we got a reveal or a hint soon :hmpf:

EDIT: I came across an article from Stonewars from October 5th, saying that they believe the Colosseum will be available starting November 27th - Black Friday, like the 1989 Batmobile last year. :sceptic: However, an article from Promobricks says that they believe it'll come out on November 1st! Both rather reliable websites, I guess we just have to wait another couple of weeks to find out :drunk:

Edited by Terrasher

On 10/17/2020 at 2:50 AM, Calvinw said:

I’m interested in it too

14 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Oh I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Colosseum. However, one has to admit that some of the Landmark sets that are basically four symmetrical corners (Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge) can become a bit repetitive in their building experience...

I really want to see the set from a forward-facing angle. The shape looked good on a first look, but upon comparing with some pictures of the real thing:

Colisee2-V.jpg

(Similar angle to that of the leaked pic.)

The LEGO version looks a bit squished on the sides. Anyway, leaked pics are always tricky, so I trust that official pictures will do the set justice.

Now, if only we got a reveal or a hint soon :hmpf:

EDIT: I came across an article from Stonewars from October 5th, saying that they believe the Colosseum will be available starting November 27th - Black Friday, like the 1989 Batmobile last year. :sceptic: However, an article from Promobricks says that they believe it'll come out on November 1st! Both rather reliable websites, I guess we just have to wait another couple of weeks to find out :drunk:

They can definitely be repetitive in the builds!  I'm still wondering where the 9,000 pieces are myself haha.  Seeing it from the other angle definitely looks more interesting and I'm also hoping for a reveal soon!  As of now I have all the Landmark sets but I'll probably be waiting on this one a bit regardless of how much I may want it.  Been way too expensive of a year to end with a set as costly as this one!

8 minutes ago, CSX9992 said:

I’m interested in it too

That makes 2 1/2 of us then!  I'm going to count Terrasher as a half vote for looking forward to it :pir-tongue:

Does anyone know if the Colosseum has mechanical parts - for example, lifts to get animals from the dungeons onto the circus floor - or internal structures - e.g. holding cells below floor level?

I'm looking for anything that would suggest playability rather than an accurate representation of the building as it stand NOW.

Just now, DaddyWhale said:

Does anyone know if the Colosseum has mechanical parts - for example, lifts to get animals from the dungeons onto the circus floor - or internal structures - e.g. holding cells below floor level?

I'm looking for anything that would suggest playability rather than an accurate representation of the building as it stand NOW.

Great idea but sadly any playability is just wishful thinking. What easier a way to recreate a ancient ruin than literally using a pile of (for the most part, identical) bricks? 

3 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Great idea but sadly any playability is just wishful thinking. What easier a way to recreate a ancient ruin than literally using a pile of (for the most part, identical) bricks? 

Oh shucks! I guess I'll pass on it. I love Roman history. It's a shame that they don't do something that shows both what the building looks like now AND allows one to "fix it up" to look and work like it would have 2000 years ago.

1 hour ago, DaddyWhale said:

Oh shucks! I guess I'll pass on it. I love Roman history. It's a shame that they don't do something that shows both what the building looks like now AND allows one to "fix it up" to look and work like it would have 2000 years ago.

Considering that 10276 is already set to become the largest set ever, adding even more parts to complete its walls is probably not an option. IIRC, the Colosseum also used to be covered in white marble, so the colour would be inaccurate anyways.

Welp, there's a teaser for Sesame Street on LEGO's Twitter.

TBH, my guess is that we'll get a reveal for that set this week or the next, and the Colosseum will be a late November / December release. :sceptic:

Another picture leaked. Looks like a thicc box. We get a glimpse of that nice angle we see on the Fiat box art.

Ooooooh, come on LEGO, give us a reveal.

11 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Looks like a thicc box.

Can definitely agree with that.  I would guess it’s the same size box as the UCS Millennium Falcon & Star Destroyer.  Looking forward to the reveal - can’t be far off now!

So the box leak finally confirms the piece count, which AFAIK had been unsubstantiated until now. This makes me want to get the set just to be able to build the "largest set ever." (I missed out on the Taj Mahal in its initial run, and by the time it was rereleased it had been surpassed by something from some silly little spaceman movie in which I have no interest.) But the inevitable problem: eventually something even bigger will come, and I'm not sure the Colosseum holds enough interest for me that I would still want it once it loses the "largest ever" distinction. This will be a tough decision.

Change of heart. I would buy it even though I don’t like it. Cost isn’t an issue because I’m old and won’t outlive my money.  This is going to be soooooooo repetitive.  That’s not unusual for architecture/building sets. Can’t be helped in most cases.  But, if it is over 9,000 pieces that would take repetitiveness to an entire new level.  I can just see it now.  I’ll be at about the 5,000 piece mark, will become totally bored and fall face first dead into the bricks.  Death by boredom.  Either that, or my dogs will mistake it for their feeding dish. I have more to say, but my Apple Watch is telling me it’s time to stand.