Rogue Angel

Challenge II - Category A: GRADACS (Gnomish Remote Access Distribution and Conveyance System)

The tradesman assessed the stock of supplies that had been provided by the queen's agents.  Looks like they are over half way through, that is good.  He searched through the bustle of gnomes around the large contraption and found the quirky fellow he had spoken with when the supplies had first been dropped off - Master Inventor Birble it was?

Drast: "Excuse me, Master Birble....?

The gnome cut him off: "Master Inventor Ebbilan Birblenic, Ranking 7th Cog, Steam Harnesser Extraordinaire and Professor of the Mechanical arts and languages.  And you are?"

Drast: "I am the ferrier who brought you all of the supplies from the Queen to distribute, we had to go over the logistics of your process for over 2 days, don't you remember?"

Master Birblenic: "You humans all look alike, and I have more important matters to dedicate my intellectual prowess to - I guess I can spare 2.5 to 3.2 minutes to discuss."

discussion.jpg

Drast: "It looks like you have gone through over half the supplies that were provided - I assume this means you have been successful with your.... machine?"

Master Birblenic: "Oh, extremely successful, we have had 46 successes so far to be precise.  And by machine, I can only assume you are referring to the Remote Access Distribution and Conveyance System?"

overall_final-lr.jpg

Drast: "Yes, that's what I meant.  Of course.  So do you have an estimate of how many of the remote natives have been supplied with the Remote .. System"

Master Birblenic: "Let me see here  - Yes, that's right, our current count is at... 0"

left_side-low_rez.jpg

Drast: "0?  You said you had 46 successes, how are you defining success?"

Master Birblenic: "Well of course, every successful engagement of the Distribution and Conveyance Instrument.  If you counted every time the system ignited, we would be well into the 100's by now.  Now if you were to account for the Master of Accounting for Collateral Losses and Costs, he wouldn't count the 3 injuries and the fatality, so that would put us at 43, but I've always been able to place the Science first!:

Drast: "Fatality?"

Master Birblenic: "On trial run 168, the instrument released radially instead of longitudinally, and Steamsmith 2nd Cloud Algold was within the radial path.  But - as they say - lives sacrificed in the pursuit of science are the foundation of what gnomish technology is build upon."

Drast: "But don't you have catapults you could have used?"

Master Birblenic:  "Yes, but we have rainwater, and we still used distilled and purified water to power our steam engines don't we.  The catapult requires beasts of burden to set the mechanism, requiring a minimum of 50 feet, it is limited in range to a mere 1500 feet, it is difficult to rotate."

Drast interrupted: "This looks stationary to me."

Master Birblenic: "This current iteration, yes, the rotation feature was not considered until design phase 41, and by that point we had invested significant effort into design plans, parts fabrication, and ground preparation, so it was decided that it be included in a future iteration - maybe 4h or 4i?"

Drast: So you have yet to provide supplies to anyone in the area?

Master Birblenic:  "I would say that we have theoretically supplied everyone within a 10,000 foot radius for at least the next 400 years, and besides, we here have been supplied quite nicely ever since this endeavor began."

Drast:  ......

Master Birblenic: "You're quite welcome.  Now, I must get back to work, Good day."

right_side-low_rez.jpg

LOL!  You're killing me with these gnomish names.  This invention is hilarious!  I love how the gnome is completely unconcerned with the practical and only interested in his invention.  The pig being loaded into the catapult with supplies is oustanding.  I like how you made the machine functional with chain and gears.  It's very medieval steampunk to me, and I love it!  Great job!

Wonderful build, I really like the gnomish contraption.  All the gears and technic pieces make it look engineered.  Fun story too.  

Wonderful idea! The moc looks so gnomish, like something from WoW! Great work mate!!

:laugh:  Well done, great absurd contraption and the dialogue is hilarious!

I actually laughed out loud reading this one, a hilarious story! You've given Master Birblenic the perfect personality for a mad scientist type!

As for the MOC itself I like the integration of the Bionicle (?) part and the use of valve controls everywhere definitely highlights it's steam power source. It's also a great idea.

My only nitpick is that, given the small size of the base, I wish it had a little.more detail - maybe some dark tan patches for example - to make it less bland.

Overall it's a great challenge entry! And one for Varlyrio too!

'lives sacrificed in the pursuit of science are the foundation of what gnomish technology is build upon'

This. Just this. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

On 2/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, Basiliscus said:

I actually laughed out loud reading this one, a hilarious story! You've given Master Birblenic the perfect personality for a mad scientist type!

As for the MOC itself I like the integration of the Bionicle (?) part and the use of valve controls everywhere definitely highlights it's steam power source. It's also a great idea.

My only nitpick is that, given the small size of the base, I wish it had a little.more detail - maybe some dark tan patches for example - to make it less bland.

Overall it's a great challenge entry! And one for Varlyrio too!

I have a tub of bionicle parts that I have been considering using for a while, and gnome builds will allow me to start using some.

I have yet to come up with a way I like to build sand and deserts to my liking.  Adding in cheese slopes and round slopes doesn't look that great to me, and 1x2 plates look too messy.  Still a work in progress for me.  I will be building Mos Eisley and Yavin 4 in the next few years, so I will have to figure this out eventually.

:roflmao: :iamded_lol: Absolutely hilarious all the way through - awesome job with this, Rogue!  The pig and supplies in the catapult (great use of the chest there, by the way!) are perfect, and the parts usage throughout is very clever as well! :thumbup:

Wonderfully amusing story :laugh: You're developing a very recognizable style for Gnomish models, which is super fun to see.
Great mix of pipes, valves, and gears :thumbup:

Edited by soccerkid6

I'm glad I don't work with any gnomes of this sort! The story is perfectly written, and the contraption is delightfully designed. The chains and gears are all nice touches, as are the various wheels to open up pipes and steam valves. Good work!