Sign in to follow this  
Grover

[Book 3] Challenge IIA: Fish Fryday

Despite the best intentions and efforts of Lady Gwenllian, Prenmôr remained in a tenuous position.  As a new community, Prenmôr had no prior harvests stored, and the town relied on the ocean for the bulk of its food.  So far, the villagers had been lucky to receive bountiful catches from the sea, but there was concern that this food supply would hold out until the grain harvest in the fall, and to a lesser extent, people were getting tired of a steady diet of fish and crustaceans.

The arrival of surplus grain from the royal storehouses came as a delight and relief to the townsfolk.  Lady Gwenllian wisely ordered half the shipment set aside to be stored as a guard against a potential shortfall of food until the fall harvest.  The other half was ground and distributed to the townsfolk.  In honor of this celebration, Lady Gwenllian’s household used her hearth to bake breads and confections for the populace, and a feast was held on Friday evening on the beach. 

46945269291_ca54407f38_h.jpg

Eating, drinking, dancing, and laughing took place around several small fires on the beach, making the mood light and happy that evening. 

32004253157_a4d42ae714_h.jpgLady Gwenllian spoke with all of those in Prenmôr, regardless of station, winning the respect of her charge.  Nobility usually did not mix with the peasantry, but Lady Gwenllian found no shame in this, and rather appreciated hearing the concerns and delights of the locals so that she could better lead the community.

Spoiler

Included another picture with more light.  I was in a rush to get this in before the deadline, so I had to edit the background out quickly, which kind of looks like crap, so I hid the picture here.

46945269011_ba047c8458_b.jpg

Edited by Grover

The last picture seems a bit ropey to me, but the previous two have a great  use of light bricks for a beach barbeque!  Those two guys in the middle look like they really love fish!

Yeah, the last one was edited hastily, so it looked crappy.  I put it in the spoilers so you don't have to look at it with the others.  I was really happy how the light turned out.  Amusingly, there are no light bricks.  I put some trans orange and yellow in and under the campfire, then left a hole in the actual bricks and set the base on an upside down full 120V fluorescent light. I had to mask off the rest of the light with a couple of newspapers to eliminate extra light, but that thing put out a ton of power through the bricks to the fire!  There's actually so much light under it you can see a light leak in the plates, but I didn't have time to fix it.  I had spent all my time on Cat B, so I was in a rush.  Oh well.

Edited by Grover

Nice little fire at the beach.  I like the little piece of drift wood and sea weed.  Nice continuation of lady Gwendaline's story 

I like the lightning in this moc as well grover! Really captures the feeling of the feast taking place in the evening. I love the minifigs around the fire, they looks very natural!

Really nice! The lighting turned out very well and you've already described how you did it, else I'd've asked :laugh: Enjoyable little bit of story too.

Nice use of lighting!  If they are getting sick of fish and crustaceans, they may not have chosen the right place to build their new town...

On 2/1/2019 at 8:07 PM, zoth33 said:

Nice little fire at the beach.  I like the little piece of drift wood and sea weed.  Nice continuation of lady Gwendaline's story 

Thanks!  I was hoping that the seaweed and driftwood would show up.  The dark tan and ocean foam rolling in is kind of lost, but some of the details are there.

On 2/2/2019 at 4:24 AM, de Gothia said:

I like the lightning in this moc as well grover! Really captures the feeling of the feast taking place in the evening. I love the minifigs around the fire, they looks very natural!

Thank you!  I wanted this to be an evening on the beach since standing around a fire during the day on the beach seems so boring.  I reused some of the minis from my previous build with the shrine at the beach.  I don't know if anyone caught the crazy fish-killer from the previous build roasting his hard work over the fire!

On 2/2/2019 at 8:58 AM, kahir88 said:

Pretty nice play with the light. Really brings the mood.

Thanks!

On 2/2/2019 at 2:48 PM, Basiliscus said:

Lovely lighting on this one! Enjoyed the story too.

Thank you!

On 2/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, en_zoo said:

Really nice! The lighting turned out very well and you've already described how you did it, else I'd've asked :laugh: Enjoyable little bit of story too.

Thanks!  And yeah, it was kind of funny to just use a huge fluorescent light.  I didn't have any light bricks handy, so I made due.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:16 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Nice use of lighting!  If they are getting sick of fish and crustaceans, they may not have chosen the right place to build their new town...

Thanks!  And yes, I agree, living on the coast may not have been the best idea, but at least I said 'to a lesser extent'--they were really more worried about their food supply! :moar:  Hopefully they'll have a brewery soon...

Excellent beach campfire! The flames' glow is very convincing, and you did well posing the various figs.

I like the night shots, as it gives a great feel for the scene. The lit fire looks nice, and there appears to be great camaraderie in the festivities. It might be nice to have some more shots showing the water, but perhaps you did not build that much of it. 

On 2/27/2019 at 6:37 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Excellent beach campfire! The flames' glow is very convincing, and you did well posing the various figs.

Thanks!  The lighting turned out better than I had expected, actually.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:06 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the night shots, as it gives a great feel for the scene. The lit fire looks nice, and there appears to be great camaraderie in the festivities. It might be nice to have some more shots showing the water, but perhaps you did not build that much of it. 

Thanks!  I ran out of space since the build was only 16x16, but there is about 1-2 studs of water there.  I wanted to show off the figures more than the water, so I went with that.