Sign in to follow this  
Basiliscus

CHALLENGE II: Category A: High Ridge Gates

Previously

The lush green of the eastern grasslands was a distant memory by the time Meiyo had reached the top of the high ridge mountains. The air had grown colder and the landscape starker with almost every step. With the soldiers having to occasionally push the cart up the steeper hills as the ox began to falter, eventually they had to slaughter the beast which provided a welcome meal for everyone after the hard climb.

The two younger crossbowmen had to carry the remainder of the supplies between them, and even Meiyo was lumbered with a barrel of ale which she half carried half dragged. Even Mychel's horse lost its footing a couple of times, and eventually he had to dismount and lead it by the reins in case he fell.

As the path narrowed even further, the tops of the famous dwarven walls came into sight. "At last!", Mychel exclaimed, and the small group surged forward with the last of their strength knowing the climb was almost at an end. Mychel stopped his horse up within sight of the gate.

"I'd suggest we leave the soldiers here and you and I ascend to the gate together lord. That way, the dwarves are less likely to see us as an invasion force.", Meiyo opened.

Mychel placed the reins in her hand. "No, Meiyo, it's better I go alone.", he said, and raised his hand to ward off the inevitable protest. "As you say, the fewer armed soldiers they see the more likely they are to grant us passage. No doubt they will drive a hard bargain, and swords rarely help."

Meiyo did not protest. This was the less defended side of the mountain, the dwarves concentrating their strongest men and stoutest walls on the western approach which led down the wastelands. Surely Mychel would be safe? She tied up the horse and climbed atop a small rock so she could keep an eye on him at all times.

Mychel climbed the final steps slowly and calmly and hammered the wooden door beneath the arched gate. After a pause the door opened and out slinked a bearded dwarf. He looked Mychel up and down yet said nothing.

"We wish to travel to the wastelands and require safe passage through your lands my friend.", Mychel said with as much confidence as he could muster.

"Mmmhmm.", came the reply.

"I can assure you that my men and I wish you no ill will and will adhere to whatever demands you require of us.", Mychel continued. Another mmmhmm. Clearly the bond between the eastern Varlyrians and their dwarven neighbours was weaker than they thought. We could rush the gatekeeper, kill him even, thought Meiyo, but without siege equipment they had no hope of breaching the gate. They could try to find an alternate route but that could add days or weeks onto their journey. There had to be a way.

Meiyo could see Mychel carefully considering his options. "We have bread and ale and a little beef we could share..."

The dwarf's eyes suddenly lit up. "Well why didn't you say so?!", he said with a cheerfulness that took the travellers by surprise. "Thrain, open her up!"

"Consider it a gift...from the queen.", said Mychel nervously. He gestured down to Meiyo. The crossbowmen lifted the crate of bread up the steps under the watchful eye of their new owner. This would make their journey in the wastelands much harder thought Meiyo, but there was no real choice. Without the passage provided by the dwarves the wastelands would only be a dream anyway.

32002322967_219b96176f_b.jpg

I really like your stonework here, especially the irregular bottom section.  The door and wall have that Dwarvish feel to it.  What is the round piece in the center with the symbol on it from I don't remember seeing that before?  

Very nice stonework and I second wanting to know where that symbol comes from.  Liking the story and the little troubles facing the team as they move west.

Nice job!  The stonework is great, as others have mentioned.  I think it can be difficult to get enough texture only working with one or two similar colors, but you did a great job.  The story is hilarious with the gruff dwarves that open up when presented with food.  Can't wait to see where the next part of the story goes!

Really good dwarven architecture, I especially like the use of pizza and tooth tiles on either side of the door.  Where is that ram shield from?

On 2/1/2019 at 4:42 AM, zoth33 said:

I really like your stonework here, especially the irregular bottom section.  The door and wall have that Dwarvish feel to it.  What is the round piece in the center with the symbol on it from I don't remember seeing that before?  

Thanks! The stonework was a bit of a pain and took some thought! Glad you liked the dwarven architecture, the bits either side of the door as supposed to be like stylised versions of dwarven helmets with beards.

The green rams shield is a Brickforge special, unfortunately they are no longer in stock. 

On 2/1/2019 at 1:49 PM, Muakhah said:

Very nice stonework and I second wanting to know where that symbol comes from.  Liking the story and the little troubles facing the team as they move west.

Thanks! See my reply above about the shield. Glad you're enjoying the story, I'm enjoying sharing it.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:11 PM, Grover said:

Nice job!  The stonework is great, as others have mentioned.  I think it can be difficult to get enough texture only working with one or two similar colors, but you did a great job.  The story is hilarious with the gruff dwarves that open up when presented with food.  Can't wait to see where the next part of the story goes!

Cheers!

12 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Really good dwarven architecture, I especially like the use of pizza and tooth tiles on either side of the door.  Where is that ram shield from?

Yeah those new tiles are great as they allow for texture and patterns in a small space. See my comment above about he shield!

Well done, Bas! I'm surprised how well the path (stairs) looks, even being of the same colour of the rock arounds (which I guess was your point, given the dwarven architecture). I'm even more surprised to see how well the irregular rockwork looks - I'm used to tidier ones. So a lot of stuff here for me to look at. Oh and nice touch with the (Brickforge?) shield and those macaroni tiles. Finally, you got me really intrigued by the story by now; I really wanna see those wastelands! Always if our heroes will get there, indeed. Never know.. :sweet:

EDIT

Just read above, it is, indeed, a Brickforge shield. Got some from them, but not the one with the ram, unfortunately.

Edited by en_zoo

Isn't that shield the Markarth shield from Skyrim?

Great build. Really put my Gnome Gate build to shame, haha.

Beautiful Build B!  I love the wall, especially the use of the quarter-circle tiles and the way you inset the lt bley under the dk bley.  The path and the little railings/pillars look excellent as well.  The rockwork in the bottom left looks a bit messy for me, but that's just me.  Excellent entry and great story.  Great to see the dwarves represented, I'm going to have to move on to them eventually.

Gorgeous :wub_drool: Stunning dwarven architecture around the gate, with the macaroni tiles/round shield combo being a definite highlight for me :thumbup:

I like your rough rockwork, though a few areas do look a touch messy. Excellent use of SNOT elements for the stony path and carved slab in front the door :classic:

The contrast between the smooth gate area and the unhewn rough rockwork is fitting, even if the latter is a bit too rough for my tastes. The gate looks good, though, and I particularly like the jumper plates in the top corners for detail. It is fittingly dwarven in appearance.