Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

Challenge II: Category A: Grain for Arkbri Orcs

The wars of Revolword and Raavage were by no means the first time scores of refugees from Nocturnus have found relative safety in the open-minded Kaliphlin. In the barren fringes of the lower Arkbri river valley, where the desert is about to take over beyond the vast irrigation networks, a tribe of orcs have lived for generations. They are making a living out of goat farming, where these hardy animals happily feed of vegetation that most other herbivores would decline. The goats provide the Arkbri orcs with meat and milk as well as fibre for the textile works of Barqa and goat skin which is popular among the scholars of Kaliphlin processed into top quality parchment. So despite living on the outskirts of Kaliphlin society, the Arkbri orcs are still very much part of the diverse mosaic of Kaliphlin.

33067587378_94720f5c23_c.jpg
A family of Arkbri Orcs

Hearing of Queen Ylspeth’s generousity, the council of Barqa chaired by Lord Gideon definitely did not want to have their traditionally renown generosity to the poor outdone by some young girl from the north! They have therefore decided to open the granaries of Barqa and provide for the poor in the surrounding lands. Now the Arkbri orcs aren’t really are in need, they are carrying along just fine and their simple living has been spared the destruction of all the recent wars. At most they’ve seen a bit of a decline in the demand for good goatskins for parchment. But who says no a free handout of grain? Especially when it’s grain grown on the irrigated floodplains of the Arkbri river, which fed by nutrients from the mountains of Mitgardia produce among the best grain in all of Historica.

33067587578_c879a265ae_c.jpg

33067587688_a7d06f1753_c.jpg

Great little scene here.  I really like the way you did the trees with the piece from the city sets and the brown horn pieces, really give off that mangled half dead feel.  I like the landscape with the brown and tan grass pieces too.  Nice job with the figs and great story.  

Wow, a great presentation of an Orc family. The setting and story are great.

Great work man, lovely little scene with nice presentation. And look at all them goats...:drool:

Goats! Love the goats and the laden camel.  The trees look great, but the stars of the show are the  orcs.  There was that debate in one of the forums about stereotypical "evil races" in fantasy.  I think that you have done a great job of showing that orcs are more than that.  I think it works really well andfor me is part of the appeal of Kaliphlin.

First, let me say, holy cow, that's a lot of goats!  They work really well in the scene.  The color choices are awesome--I love the dark brown stems on the dark tan, and as others have said, the tree parts from the city are great in this sparsely vegetated scene.  The goats are a great choice, too: orcs don't really care what they eat, and the goats can survive on this land easily.  It would not have made sense for them to be driving cattle, for instance.  I really like the whole story behind the scene and how it describes some of the culture.  Excellent build!

Lovely little moc once again! But your photos is just breathtaking!! In pic two, look at the eye of the camel... it just looked photoshoped in to the pic, such great work my friend!!

Where is that orc head in the middle from?

This is a lovely little scene. The star of the show for me is those lovely trees, they look perfect for the environment. I liked the story too, especially about the jealousy of the council and them doing the right thing but for the wrong reasons.

That's a lot of goats! From memory they cost a fortune on Bricklink! My only complaint is they are all angled identically - I appreciate they are being herded the same way but goats are notoriously independent minded and I would have liked to have seen a few wandering off or whatever.

Great work!

The trees are definitely the highlights here, they look great and set a really good fantasy tone for the vig!

haha Awesome stuff! Totally in love with the lore you've created for these guys! :wub: Awesome trees too, really appropriate for the context and I believe it's the best composition using those 'new' tree pieces I've seen so far :thumbup:

Spoiler

*coughs* got only 2 goats *coughs* kinda jelly *coughs*

Thanks for the comments! :classic:
And the build is about the orcs and not about showing off the collection of goats (in that case I would have opened the last MVR too :wink:)

On 2/2/2019 at 12:28 PM, de Gothia said:

Where is that orc head in the middle from?

I think it's from the "Frankenstein" monster in Monster Fighters (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=mof017). The torso ended up on the male orc.

Beautiful little build!  I love the trees, and the story is well done.  You've got me beat by 1 (or 3) goats - they work well here.  I like seeing the star wars helmet used, I've been trying to find a way to use them, and didn't realize they were out in white - it works well.  Great entry!

On 2/13/2019 at 1:14 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Beautiful little build!  I love the trees, and the story is well done.  You've got me beat by 1 (or 3) goats - they work well here.  I like seeing the star wars helmet used, I've been trying to find a way to use them, and didn't realize they were out in white - it works well.  Great entry! 

Thanks! Yes, I think the helmet came in white in some SW Advent calendar.

Superb photo quality that shows off the lovely landscape colorscheme perfectly :thumbup: Nifty minifigure combos on the orcs, and a herd of goats is always fun to see!

I like the herd of goats, but those trees are my favorite part for sure. Nice use of the prefab piece in making the trunk. The Star Wars helmet works well here, too!