Sign in to follow this  
dathil

Challenge II: Category A: Outside the city walls

From the log of Drakk, commander of the city guard.

The unrest about the famine has grown in the town. The people are hungry, and some already begin to rise.

Today, I received orders to take a batallion to the gates, with some of our last rations from the keep itself.

There, we had to hand it out to the beggars.

The men are not happy with this - these are our personal supplies.

Some of them beggars even tried to steal more then we gave them. I ordered the men to use force if needed.

No use to add non-lethal, it would only be less mouths to feed

The beggars love the queen now. The men? well...

32001792827_2d1917f607_z.jpgOutside the city walls by David de Rijke, on Flickr

Interesting build, the towers have alot going on I like the color choices.  The figs portray a pretty chaotic scene nice job.  

Great idea of feeding the beggars.  I think the different foodstuffs and the rough lean to the beggars are sleeping under are my favorite bits. Along with the commander on the megaphone and the general posing and chaos that is very believable in this kind of situation.

The central tower is done very well with the tiles on the roof and the walls.  I'm not sure about the dark green and red color scheme though.  But I suppose its the colors of your city.

The two small towers and the way they are attached to the main tower have some interesting features.  But I'm not sure why they are attached?  I feel the way you have done it would make a really cool and distinctive  gateway if the angled sections came together.  I guess I just need to know the reasoning behind it.

Very nice!  I like the dark tone to the story, as it's probably realistic to what would happen during a shortage of food.  The dark green and red with white accents are really interesting and I like it.  As others have noted, it's a bit unusual to see the buttresses running from the main tower to the others, but if they are part of a larger wall, it makes some sense, and gives it a very medieval fantasy feel, which I appreciate.  The beggars are well done with their lean-tos and the blankets as well.  I'm really curious to see what happens as the story unfolds.  Great job!

I second the others' comments about the tower being connected that way, though I do like how the whole thing looks together. I also like how you managed to represent the chaotic situation, following the story. The latter being the highlight here, imo - I love how you managed to give credit to both, the Queen's followers and non. It also makes me wanna know what happens next.

Thanks for your comments, guys!

As for the butresses, I know that they are originally meant for structural support, and that a tower like this will not need this support. However, I made my first design of the butresses after seeing Garibaldi Castle, which too has many unnecessary butresses added - just for aesthetics, I suppose.

This butress design however, also functions as water lead / gargoyle. I am currently creating a working pump to demonstrate this, but water will flow from the top of the butress to beneath the mouth of the stag.

as for the story, I am thinking how the story would progress :)

I love the look of this build!  When you look closer, it doesn't make the most sense structurally, but the colors work great together IMO, the unique roof, aqueducts, lean-to, asymmetrical figure placement, and sand green work on the bottom really make this build pop for me.  It looks really full without looking cluttered. 

This build is a bit too chaotic for my tastes. The crowd is appropriately chaotic, which looks great, but the building too is chaotic, which does not. There are too many textures and angles all together in a very small footprint, which is just visually overwhelming. I like the colors, but I think they get used too extensively (dark green and dark red, that is), especially on the building. 

The bley and dark bley stonework looks great. Your tower and buttress setup is cool even if not overly functional, and I like the fig posing.
There's a few areas of the tower where I think it would be better to remove the dark red in favor of bley, but overall good work :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6