31996818577_b46ea216f5_c.jpg

I started this a little into the new year and let me say the good thing about a building site MOC is it doesn't have to look finished to be so. Woohoo!

I realised then that I had never made a building site MOC which seemed a dereliction of duty considering building buildings is what us AFOLs do right?

Being firmly stuck in the past when it comes to LEGO dimensions (the mathematical measurement method, not the game console games) I like to build 4-wide vehicles and so generally build buildings to a slightly smaller height than is common these days.

Way back in 2007 or thereabouts I picked up the Tower Crane set (#7905). Looked great on the box but to be kind to it it looked terrible when included into my city at the time (like the Eiffel Tower did). Size of course was the big problem, too high and too wide, detraction.

Conscious that the scale needed to fit be appropriate to the style of my city and also that the road needed to connect to another road the building site area was quite restrictive at  24x34 studs. This made it a little tricky to fit in everything (actually I didn't include any external scaffolding or portable cabin as a result of having no space to put it but in the end I added a further 16x48 baseplates to accommodate the roofed hoarding and side lane) but I find the restrictions made the build overall more enjoyable as there a little challenges here and there. The tower crane is 5x5 studs which itself introduces a few problems mainly related to the attachment of the ladders and boom.

Two counterweights for the boom are used, one the official weight black brick but seeing that in reality you usually see grey concrete slabs (or things that look like concrete slabs) being used I tried to replicate this look. The big problem here was the simple fact that my counterweights combined were not heavy enough to support the boom with any significant load. So off I went to raid the tool box and filled a revised hollowed counterweight with nails (see here).

Speaking of booms, the builders built this in record time to cash in before the next crash.

Hope you Town fans and 4-wide loyalists out there like this build. 

Happy to hear people's thoughts or comments on it!

31996818387_080614799b_c.jpg
I will look to replace these waste shoots with a white or another colour version at some point, just to add a splash of colour, not that too much LBG is bad or anything.

46885696602_68c01d5f31_c.jpg
Would like the 1x1x2 cylinders used for the streetlights not to have cutouts.

31996818087_4b72a10d3e_c.jpg
Got the calculator out and the office area is accurate. Made a little microscale version of the 'finished building' for this billboard.

31996817767_55a9dc3686_c.jpg
The construction company logo is the jumping frogs. Maybe because they jumped legal hoops to avoid being prosecuted on health and safety grounds?

31996817387_837fb5a794_c.jpg

31996817067_5aaf180202_c.jpg
Finally can get that Welder to work! Also you can look down the dry riser.

31996816797_277799d58f_c.jpg
Someones's not happy.

46937822911_89bdca0894_c.jpg

46937822701_e05b769eaa_c.jpg
Fact. All tower crane operators end up with glasses due to eye strain despite in cabin cameras. Just made that up..

31996815917_8c8d59ee4d_c.jpg
The view from above. Please make sure your figs are not afraid of heights before looking down.

Edited by Minifig Lecturer

Wow this is fantastic. The hyper realistic detail in minifigure scale is spot on. Love the snotted and rounded concrete floors, the worksite barricades, protruding rebar ready for more cement pouring, the dumpster and that crane is marvelous. Gorgeous MOC!

OMG, this is the greatest construction site I`ve ever seen!! :wub: So many great details... :wub_drool: Well done!

The billboard really takes it over the top. all the little details make this come alive I love the rebar. And even though I've moved into the 6w vehicles I still love a good 4W lol. 

Excellent construction site! I think it's the best I've seen yet. You managed to get the structure very well with a modern shape.

How did you link that 4x4 "open cone" part  to macaronis on the mixer? As a Classic Town builder, I made one in 90's style, but I used another method some years ago.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:45 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

The billboard really takes it over the top. all the little details make this come alive I love the rebar. And even though I've moved into the 6w vehicles I still love a good 4W lol. 

Thanks @Roadmonkeytj , good to hear you still like 4Ws!

On 2/2/2019 at 7:17 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I also like the street lamps ... I had never seen this design :thumbup:

Thank you @LEGO Train 12 Volts

I used it first in the below building so I didn't have to think this time!

27380073748_79076350a6_c.jpgLEGO Money Laundering Launderette 02 by David D, on Flickr

On 2/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, Evans said:

How did you link that 4x4 "open cone" part  to macaronis on the mixer? As a Classic Town builder, I made one in 90's style, but I used another method some years ago.

@Evans I used Technic half-pins. The little blue ones that are very common as spares in lots of sets. I like your design a lot and how you have incorporated the backend equipment and tank. I will look to mod my cement mixer to improve this.

I love the build! It is the most realistic LEGO building site I have ever seen. Is the crane supposed to be a Liebherr 63lc

Edited by Karlinjo