Toxic43

Lego Technic Control+ System

Interesting news from the Lego Technic theme today. As per the link below it looks like the Technic Powered Up hub will have 4 ports, as opposed to the 2 we have now on the current Boost/City hub.

http://racingbrick.com/2019/01/lego-announced-the-liebherr-r-9800-set-as-the-flagship-model-of-2019/

Looks like we may be able to actually convert fully to PU from PF after all if this news is true. 4 ports would equal 2 motors and 2 sets of lights per loco, or exactly what I have now in the current PF format on most of my locos. I'm guessing this also confirms we can link hubs together, which could mean we may be able to team up locos from one controller/phone app. This would be great for double headed trains on PU!

Hi,

yes, if the CONTROl+ has a size that fits into a train.

I doubt, cause in seems to contain 6 AA batteries.

Yep, not sure it'll work in trains since people are reporting it's almost as big as the NXT brain - 6AA batteries instead of 6 AAA. 

However, if the demand is there, perhaps they could produce a AAA version with 4 ports for the train market, but I doubt Lego would see enough sales volume. 

With PF you have 4x8 battery and 4x4 for receiver 
So you could replace that with two Hubs 4x8, thats not that much more, as the standard modell has a train plate 28 long.

3 hours ago, mostlytechnic said:

Yep, not sure it'll work in trains since people are reporting it's almost as big as the NXT brain - 6AA batteries instead of 6 AAA. 

However, if the demand is there, perhaps they could produce a AAA version with 4 ports for the train market, but I doubt Lego would see enough sales volume. 

I would agree, I don't see much reason for Lego to release a 4 port version for train enthusiasts.

What I do see them doing is suggesting that we use two 2 port hubs in our trains and updating the Powered UP software to support this combination, such as allowing reversing of motor polarity, etc.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, Lok24 said:

With PF you have 4x8 battery and 4x4 for receiver 
So you could replace that with two Hubs 4x8, thats not that much more, as the standard modell has a train plate 28 long.

Yes, you can, but those two hubs are $50 each!

Hi,

I bought mine at Bricklink, app. 20 €, average last 6 Month: 17,5 €

PF battery box: 14 €
PF-IR-Rceiver : 17 €

SBrick with 4 ports: app. 60 €

Edited by Lok24

6 hours ago, mostlytechnic said:

Yes, you can, but those two hubs are $50 each!

Same here, BrickLink has the 2-port hubs (and ample of them) for less than $20.

Best
Thorsten

13 hours ago, Toastie said:

Same here, BrickLink has the 2-port hubs (and ample of them) for less than $20.

Wow, you Europeans sure like parting out train sets. There's only a couple sellers on that in the US, and a hundred in Europe! A little bit jealous here... but that does swing the cost significantly. I was quoting the $50/ea retail price from Lego, and I didn't realize that they were SO much cheaper in the secondary markets. 

Mould King will be releasing a model very similar to the Liebherr (though still quite different when you look at it in detail), but with PF components. Even the copiers don't copy the new system, it's not a good sign :D

Edited by ozacek