Sign in to follow this  
LittleJohn

Challenge II: Category C: A Shady Deal

My entry for Category C of Challenge II. As soon as I saw the back alleyways category for this challenge, I knew what I wanted to build. However, actually making it proved to be quite a challenge. I’m fairly happy with the overall result though. You can expect to see a build log on it in the coming weeks, where I’ll go into more detail on various aspects of the build.

After the civil war, the back alleyways of Kaliphlin have fallen into a state of disrepair, and can be a dangerous place to lurk. These circumstances have also made it a place where under the table business transactions take place. Are these two figure shrouded in black cloaks just exchanging money for goods, or is something more sinister at stake?

overview.jpg

deal.jpg

right-street.jpg

front-1.jpg

More pictures on Brickbuilt.
Thanks for looking, C&C welcome :classic:

Fantastic archway and colour choice in the foreground part, I don't think I'll ever get tired of tan, medium flesh and orange being combined.

You did a great job of making the alleyway seem compact and busy, the buildings in the background to most would be centre stage but they are just filler to you, such is your talent!

Love the sagging street too, adds to the worn city feel. Oh and also the all LEGO shot is a winner!

Another epic MOC!

Great work on the perspective and alley. I've been through some similar alleys in Andratx and you captured the confining height of buildings and narrowness of the actual footpath very well.

Saw it on flickr and was glad to see here aswell! The heights of the houses is great! The first shot when all you see is lego is just eye candy! Love photos like those!

The street with it´s worn down feeling to it makes this moc even better!!

Great architecture.  I like the wooden windows that slide out.  The Arches are wonderful and the use of the masonry bricks gives it a nice weathered feel.  I like the way you posed the two figs with the capes in the background.  

The sagging floor and the details around the various windows are amazing.  The crumbling textures and claustrophobic feeling is brilliant.  The way each house optimistically sticks its window  out there to try and grab some light.  The color combinations are brilliant.  Just right, not too bright and not too dark.

Looking forward to the build log, so much to learn!

The photography here to capture the scene is fantastic.  I really like the perspective and lighting you achieved.  They highlight the details of the build, like the texture in the walls, and how the city comes together in terms of the streets (where the light and shadows fall, etc.).  The uneven street, the details with the plants in the windows that are not that highly colored (probably due to lack of light) and the shady deal going on are all fantastic.  Great job!

Nice entry, a good exaple, for: you don't have to write a long story for the entry, if the entry can tell much more. Well done.

Ooh, great cloaked mysterious characters!  As I said on Flickr, the height of the buildings really helps the alleyway feel.  I just think you maybe needed a touch more in the way of trash, some clothes hanging across the street or something.  But impressive job on the uneven street!

Awesome job, LJ! I love every details, my fav being that sort of curve in the floor. Can't wait for the build log!

Pretty amazing build here.  Great combination of techniques, coloration, tilework, photography.  That 3rd story makes a big difference in the all-lego shots.  The sloping street is my favorite part, but this is pretty much as complicated as you can get without turning into a 'messy' build, and this looks superb!

Very nice all-LEGO shots here, LJ - love how many of those we've been getting in the guilds recently! :excited:  The big arch is great, and the area looks suitably shady (and so do the minifigs :laugh: !), but my favorite thing is definitely the sloping, sinking ground - ingenious!  Really sells the build for me! :sweet:

I think I would rather not walk down this alley :look:
Super effective design having the upper stories of the buildings lean out over the street :thumbup: That definitely helps with the impression of a crowded city area, along with the haphazard street itself.

Well done all around :classic:

So nice, LJ! I love the all-LEGO scene, and the composition of the alley. It is considerably more ramshackle than I am used to seeing from a Snyder Bros. creation, but I really like it! The rough textures, the uneven pavement, the leaning buildings, and the cast shadows, all contribute to an excellent build. The framing wall and arch works quite well, too, limiting the view. I just wish I knew more about the plot!

Great moc, thoroughly enjoy the unevenness of the floor, as well as the different styles of walls in the alleyway, they all look very well together. lastly just the feel of it being an alley works very nice, the only thing I have to say against it s the lighting is a bit to bright, but that is a nitpick.