Sign in to follow this  
MiloNelsiano

CHALLENGE II: Category B: Fun and Games

In the town of Osgard, as well as the rest of Oros, there are fairly few forms of entertainment.  Aside from jousting, melees, or other forms of war games, not much else has caught on.  While most of the citizens love participating in and watching the games, in the early peace after so much violence, and while so many still mourned their lost ones, the war games seemed inappropriate.  However, wanting to comply with the Queen's orders, Lord Osric organized the old Northern games to be held in the tournament grounds.  It had been many years since the games had been played, but everyone seemed to enjoy them.  The highlight of the games was tug of war in which an all Avalonian team took on a team composed of members from the other 4 guilds.  At the time of the games there were many refugees from Nocturnus, and Kaliphlin, as well as traders from Mitgardia and Varlyrio.  Other games included the caber toss, as well as stone put.

46930185481_2201b71341_z.jpg

46930185091_d08b53e6f6_z.jpg

One competitor warms up before the Caber Toss begins.

46930184661_17488b81e1_z.jpg

This was an interesting build for me.  It ended up a lot different than I had planned, mostly because my son started taking over.  I had originally planned to do just the caber toss in the build (by the way, did anyone realize that the caber toss is scored by straightness, and distance thrown doesn't matter whatsoever?), but he wanted a tug of war, which actually fit in extremely well.  After that, he decided we had to build 100 minifigures, and he wouldn't settle for anything less, so while I had quite a few other details planned out, I thought it was too much fun doing this together with him, so I left a lot of things out and ran with his ideas.  The build itself is very simple, but it was still a lot of fun.  C&C is appreciated as always.

Really lovely overall - the stands look nice, and that detail on the fence also jumped out at me right away.  Serious NPU there!  :classic:

Lovely work! Really like the overall shape of the pavilion at the back, I like the arches and wooden palisade. Great use of all the different minifigs, there's a fantastic variety, I only wish you'd angled some so they weren't all facing exactly the same way.

The idea of a tug-of-war and caber toss is a great idea and fits in well with the Avalonian lore. 

Oh, and as a Scotsman, the caber toss is more refined then it looks! I've never taken part in one but I've seen them and it's quite a fascinating sport.

Love the figs. Great variety and people from all the guilds are represented. I also like the ideas of using games like caber toss for this. I've said it elsewhere but I was expecting the responses to be Cat B to be less imaginative overall than they were, which is a pleasant surprise!

At first glance I thought it was a tournament with jousting knights! But the caber toss is a great idea! What is the piece used in the cone brick in the fence?? lovely detail!

Nice fence technique.  The grandstand is good too.  That is a lot of figs to pose nice job there.  

So many figs!  Great idea for tug of war and caber toss.  The stands and the fencing look great, as do the variety of figs on display.  I think the crowd look a little static but posing that  many would be a massive headache.

Good team effort!

What a fun idea!  The way the stands are built really captures my imagination and reminds me of the many medieval sets that are in movies.  (By contrast, many of the official Lego sets for jousts and such seem rather sparse to me).  I love the use of the slope roof pieces.  I think it's great that your son wants to build with you.  I hope that mine will want to build with me when he gets older.  How fun to add all the minis to the build!  I think the crowd actually looks good and makes it seem more lively.  Well done!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it’s really appreciated.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:07 PM, de Gothia said:

At first glance I thought it was a tournament with jousting knights! But the caber toss is a great idea! What is the piece used in the cone brick in the fence?? lovely detail!

It’s the new Harry Potter Wand inside the cone brick. It seemed to work really well, but some of the wands are a little too loose for my liking. I think the ones in the CMF packs are very slightly different than those in the sets (the sprue seems slightly different as well) but I don’t know which is the looser and which the snugger. 

haha I was going to say, that's a lot of figs! But then read your description :laugh: Are they really 100 or did you manage to cheat? I'm glad your son wouldn't settle for less - it looks really realistic having all those people gathered for the event. Going for 'classic', non-fighting challenges is also a nice choice :thumbup:

Great idea for the celebration, and you've really captured the large crowd well.  The wand usage is excellent, as is the whole execution. I would like to see a little more detailing on the stands and roofs from you - would make a big difference in your builds with not a lot of extra effort.  Great job!

I love the crowd here in the scene! It is something that eventually I could see my kids wanting me to do, once they are a bit older, at least. I like the games, and the build itself suffices, but the figs are the stars here. 

I always find making enough figs for a large scene to be a bit tedious, but obviously with your son's help that wasn't an issue here!

Very cool use of wands to cap off the posts :thumbup: