Sign in to follow this  
The Stad

Challenge II: Category A - Relief

Two Mitgardian soldiers labor towards the Clan Lands through the winter snow, their sledge laden with the queen's generosity.  It will be a welcome sight to those who struggle through this long winter, especially after such a meager summer, though who knows what will be expected in return for such gifts as these...

31982955797_62d5d5d2f1_c.jpg

Spoiler

From overhead:

46867860621_da6bf8272b_c.jpg

Didn't have much time to throw at this contest, which is disappointing because I had several ideas I wanted to explore. I'm not proud of this photography (again, didn't have the time to do any better), but something is better than nothing in the end, eh?

First, good for you for making something.  I completely understand when there's no time to do what you wanted to do with a build.  Second, this is quite a nice build.  The black border, while being dominant, provides a nice contrast to all the white and seems to make the landscape more stark to me.  Interestingly, the tree looks better to me from the overhead view.  I think if I were able to see the base of the tree from the front view, it would make more sense as a tree at first glance.  You did a great job turning the 'snow' at a diagonal to break it up from the border, and burying the cow's feet in the snow is great.  I like how it has to be a sled in Mitgardia instead of a wagon!  Nice work!

Love the sled and the harness for the cow (I have a finished build with a similar harness believe it or not!). I like the way the snow is layered and the cow's feet are sinking in to it, looks very natural.

I'm not such a big fan of the overpowering base, I think it's too big for the size of the MOC.

Great entry!

I agree about the base kind of overpowering the MOC. It's a good low-key MOC with a cool tree, good snow-work, and an interesting harness for the ox. I think the shield emblem for Mitgardia is nice, too, even though the base could be much reduced to better effect.

The sled and the minifigs posing are the great stuff here! As others have said, the black border seems to big to this small moc, but overall a good entry!

Sled and snow are really well done.  The snow drifts being smooth and the prints being studs.

Too much base...especially due to black and white contrast...

But some really good tree and snow techniques to steal here!

Goodtosee the snowy Mitgardian people surviving!

I'm glad you managed to put something together, I really appreciate sometimes it isn't as easy as we'd like.. :sadnew: It's a nice vignette, I like the sledge and the way it attaches to the cow (ox, in this case, I guess..). I reckon the black base is a bit too big though, if compared to the rest of the building - I think you can just make it a couple of bricks smaller. Let us see what else happens in that Mitgardian village! :classic:

Super, I like the cart wagon and the tree! And the round Mitgardian sigil works sweetly. 

Edited by W Navarre

Nice clean build - I like the pillar, the tree and the sledge, as well as your work with the snow.  Excellent dwarven representation!

Neat little entry, mate!  The sled is quite nice, and the bare branches of that tree and the stone marker are probably my favorite parts of the build :thumbup:  I'll second what the others have said about the base, but the Mitgardian colors there do give a great pop of color to the build!

Very interesting design choice to have the entire landscape rotated 45° to the border. I don't think I've seen that done before, and it gives a neat dynamic to the scene.
And that's a lovely harness design utilizing the handle bar element :thumbup:

Nice tree design and the sigil on the front looks great :thumbup:
I agree with the criticism of the size of the base however.

The sledge is nice, and the snow looks great, but I must echo what others have said about too much base. The tree in the back is nice, too.