Type: Class 5 Junk

The WTC had been the first trading company to set up shop in the south, and had a small outpost on Kemblarsi as well. Today, a new ship was heading in to dock. 

46870701632_51e3315abd_z.jpg

Captained by Madam Dogtooth, the WTC Rising Sun was a Junk originally from the Gerlo Empire. 

33047495218_fc98256356_z.jpg

The Junk was mostly unarmed, prefering to defend itself with speed and maneuverability. 

46870701712_ded949b54a_z.jpg

As port appeared on the horizon, it's precious cargo would soon be unloaded. 

46008542115_46600ed003_z.jpg

What was on board could soon change the course of history in the Brick Seas...

46922863531_3b87d67ab2_z.jpg

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build. I'm happy with how this one turned out. (It's a substantial improvement over my last Junk for sure! :pir-laugh:) This was an interesting build, for sure. I used Mixel joints to make the stern and bow rise above the rest of the hull, and than used some different techniques for the rest of the hull. The sails are from destiny's bounty, of course, and they look nice, especially with the colour scheme. I'm not sure if this is a class 5 or 4, and I'll be happy to downgrade it if the court so requests. 

C&C appreciated!

A great looking vessel! Great idea for getting those angles on the ship, it looks like a proper piece of junk! :laugh: I like the way you did the color scheme as well, the dark grey, then black. The only thing that seems odd to me is the rudder, it kind of seems to just be floating in mid air the way its attached.

I don't know much about junks, but I did Google their picture. You were creative in your attempt to make the rise of the bow and stern and though I think it looks steeper than what I saw on google you did show the concept. I always enjoy when a Lego builder uses a technique they haven't tried before to mimic real designs. Color scheme works well especially in coordination with the Bounty's sails. I am liking that huge anchor as well. 

@Mesabi

Somehow I thought I had already commented on this!

Here, you are demonstrating a novel technique, one that I have never seen before, and you have achieved tumblehome and the nicely raised bow and stern.

While it may not be the most realistic rendition of a junk, it is nonetheless an interesting technique and an overall nice looking ship.

For future ships, I would like you to consider the following.

Your rudder seems very loosely attached. In reality, it would typically be mounted very close to the hull, being such an important piece.

I'd like to see you experiment with custom rigging and/or sails. Lego sails have their limitations, and with string and paper, you can get far. It will also force you to consider stability, which is a good push to improve building overall. And some research/picture search of how (different types of) rigging actually looks can also help you perfect your work. (regardless of how realistic you want it to be)

I'd like a few more details and life on deck. You actually have quite a few, and it doesn't look empty, but it is always a good place to put in some time, as it gives a great feeling of finish.

Additionally, I would also like to see you try your hand at recreating an "actual ship". What I mean is, it would be interesting to see you take a picture or painting of a ship and try to recreate it to some degree. Currently, it seems you are working largely from imagination (which is also cool), but I'd like you to try the other approach too. Not to recreate it perfectly, but to try to get overall lines and proportions right (even if a bit in caricature).

Last, when you are in doubt of the class, it seems to typically be because you are stretching it a bit. In this case, I would say she is a class 4, not a 5.

Overall, nice build, and you have a :thumbup: from me. Further, I am taking a leadership decision and interpreting Silentwolf's comment as one too, so this is hereby approved. (as a class 4, mind you)

Good work and sorry for the (looooong) delay!

I missed this ship somehow, hope it's not too late to say that you've done a nice job here.

Bregir has made some good points here, and I totally with him about the custom rigging and sails, they add to the realism of a ship moc.

if you don't mind, me too I'd like to say few words about junks, in fact the word "junk" came from cantonese, which means simply "boat", but this pronunciation differs greatly from mandarin, so when you say "junk", most Chinese won't understand what you meant.

Secondly, junks usually didn't have tumblehome, nor ratlines. But don't imagine the job will be easier, :Lego hasn't provided us with a junk prefab yet, all must be done from scratch, and I think the 70618 Destiny Bounty is a good rendition of Chinese junks, basically we can copy its hull technique when building our own version.

Concerning the sails, as Bregir said, paper is a good choice than cloth, because most of Chinese junks used to have rigid sails, but there were exceptions too.

That's all.

10 hours ago, Bregir said:

Overall, nice build, and you have a :thumbup: from me. Further, I am taking a leadership decision and interpreting Silentwolf's comment as one too, so this is hereby approved. (as a class 4, mind you)

Don't ask me how I missed the thumb up. Sorry about that!

Yay! Another Task Complete!

14 hours ago, Bregir said:

@Mesabi

Somehow I thought I had already commented on this!

Here, you are demonstrating a novel technique, one that I have never seen before, and you have achieved tumblehome and the nicely raised bow and stern.

While it may not be the most realistic rendition of a junk, it is nonetheless an interesting technique and an overall nice looking ship.

Thank you! I remember this being really fun, and difficult to build. I used Mixel Joints to allow me to get the bow and stern to look the way they did, which took a lot of trial and error. 

14 hours ago, Bregir said:

Additionally, I would also like to see you try your hand at recreating an "actual ship". What I mean is, it would be interesting to see you take a picture or painting of a ship and try to recreate it to some degree. Currently, it seems you are working largely from imagination (which is also cool), but I'd like you to try the other approach too. Not to recreate it perfectly, but to try to get overall lines and proportions right (even if a bit in caricature).

Last, when you are in doubt of the class, it seems to typically be because you are stretching it a bit. In this case, I would say she is a class 4, not a 5.

Good work and sorry for the (looooong) delay!

I picked up This book for some inspiration and help on a massive project that did not survive storage. Hopefully I can get some inspiration from it. 

I'll license her as a class 4. 

Thank you for 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:56 PM, SilentWolf said:

I don't know much about junks, but I did Google their picture. You were creative in your attempt to make the rise of the bow and stern and though I think it looks steeper than what I saw on google you did show the concept. I always enjoy when a Lego builder uses a technique they haven't tried before to mimic real designs. Color scheme works well especially in coordination with the Bounty's sails. I am liking that huge anchor as well. 

Thanks Wolf! I did go for a more artistic approach than a real one, but I like how she turned out. 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:10 AM, Professor Thaum said:

stunning design, but it has the "junk touch"

Thanks lol.

13 hours ago, Bodi said:

if you don't mind, me too I'd like to say few words about junks, in fact the word "junk" came from cantonese, which means simply "boat", but this pronunciation differs greatly from mandarin, so when you say "junk", most Chinese won't understand what you meant.

Secondly, junks usually didn't have tumblehome, nor ratlines. But don't imagine the job will be easier, :Lego hasn't provided us with a junk prefab yet, all must be done from scratch, and I think the 70618 Destiny Bounty is a good rendition of Chinese junks, basically we can copy its hull technique when building our own version.

Concerning the sails, as Bregir said, paper is a good choice than cloth, because most of Chinese junks used to have rigid sails, but there were exceptions too.

That's all.

Thanks Bodi!