1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

...that’s not an answer. How would you do it?

I'd go on gears.sariel.com and I'd gawk at the sheer amount of more efficient combinations I could use to get a reduction in the 15-to-20:1 range, even though that kind of reduction is pointless because 1) you don't need that much torque to move a model like this; 2) like all people with an IQ above freezing point, I know and understand the difference between complexity and complication; 3) the model's controlled via app, so the "gotta keep the speed down for realism" taurus guano doesn't hold water.

Note: obviously the designers at TLG know how to do their job and had to resort to this kind of transmission for Thor knows how many ungodly (mostly marketing) reasons.

Edited by suffocation

Of course they are aware that the ratio could be achieved by much less gears but the goal here was to put motor in center. Then you have wheel X stud apart and have to get there without using perpendicular gear connection. IMO this would be perfect set to introduce helical gears

12 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

Of course they are aware that the ratio could be achieved by much less gears but the goal here was to put motor in center. Then you have wheel X stud apart and have to get there without using perpendicular gear connection. IMO this would be perfect set to introduce helical gears

Helical gears have bad frictional properties unfortunately, especially ones at 45 degrees (which is presumably what you’d want from them for Lego).

@suffocation I don’t think there’s anything else they could’ve done, especially if they wanted extra reserve torque to be able to tackle inclines. I wouldn’t be so rushed to brand so negatively.

Edited by Bartybum

Sariel's exclusive first review of the Technic Liehberr 42100! I liked the set and now want it even more.
The build itself have the haul marks of a good Technic build (complexity, function, new build techniques) with the added bonus of Control Plus.

Edited by HRU_Bricks

Finished building the model yesterday. Unfortunately can't get the model to interface with the app. It just isn't recognised. The app only shows the 42099 and tries to interface with that, which of course fails since it is wired up differently.

I just looked at Sariels video review and noticed that he was running a different version of the app (v1.0.0 build 271; see his video at 26:46) than I have (v 1.0.1, which is the only one available in the app store). What he indicates is that a firmware update is performed when connecting to the model for the first time. However in my case that doesn't happen.

30 minutes ago, CSX9992 said:

Try deleting and redownloading app?

I tried that already, as well as re-checking that I made all the connections between the hubs and motors correctly. All to no effect.

I wouldn't be surprised (though I would be annoyed) if TLG simply hasn't released the firmware update for the 42100 yet for the general public and only supplied this with a dedicated app version to the selected reviewers.

I left some feedback at TLG, now waiting for a reply from them. Hopefully that won't take too long.

3 hours ago, Enantiomeer said:

I just looked at Sariels video review and noticed that he was running a different version of the app (v1.0.0 build 271; see his video at 26:46) than I have (v 1.0.1, which is the only one available in the app store). What he indicates is that a firmware update is performed when connecting to the model for the first time. However in my case that doesn't happen.

Remember he probably had a Lego specific release for the app.  

Have you tried the buzz wiz app

34 minutes ago, CSX9992 said:

Probably 

I just chatted with TLG customer support. The friendly support employee explained that the 42100 functions won't be released to the app until the official release date of the model (October 1st). So, there is nothing I can do until then.

I indicated to him that although I understand the reasoning of TLG about embargo/release dates, that by taking this approach they are hurting actual customers i.s.o. the resellers that are breaching the embargo/release dates. He mentioned he would pass that along to the relevant department/people within TLG.

It's not much but I guess it's the best I can hope for in this situation.

1 hour ago, Enantiomeer said:

I indicated to him that although I understand the reasoning of TLG about embargo/release dates, that by taking this approach they are hurting actual customers i.s.o. the resellers that are breaching the embargo/release dates. He mentioned he would pass that along to the relevant department/people within TLG.

I don't know why would this be TLG's fault or anything to do on their side. Did you contact the shop where you got the set? I'd suggest to complain to them. They are the ones who are ignoring TLG's release date for profit, they should get the negative feedback.

Btw reviewers get an early access to the app to be able to do a full review.

2 hours ago, Enantiomeer said:

that by taking this approach they are hurting actual customers i.

Don’t blame TLG for this. The stores bypassing embargo dates are solely to blame. If the set isn’t released yet it’s because it’s not ready.

32 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I don't know why would this be TLG's fault or anything to do on their side. Did you contact the shop where you got the set? I'd suggest to complain to them. They are the ones who are ignoring TLG's release date for profit, they should get the negative feedback.

Btw reviewers get an early access to the app to be able to do a full review.

Just now, Bartybum said:

Don’t blame TLG for this. The stores bypassing embargo dates are solely to blame. If the set isn’t released yet it’s because it’s not ready.

The issue I have with TLG's approach is that it is aimed at the customer, not the shop. No matter how well TLG tries to control the release date they have to be aware that it is impossible to control this completely. As such the assignment of blame isn't as straightforward or black & white as you guys suggest here.

I'm fairly certain the shop will get some backlash from shipping the set too soon since I gave their name to TLG, who won't be pleased with them. I expect that the complaint that TLG will make to the shop will make more of an impression than any complaint I could make.

Dude, what don't you get? The set's official release is October 1st, so you have no right to expect any related software or support whatsoever before that date. End of story.

5 minutes ago, Enantiomeer said:

No matter how well TLG tries to control the release date they have to be aware that it is impossible to control this completely.

> knows it’s impossible for TLG to control something

> blames TLG for it anyway

...what

There is no embargo on the set. Stores are receiving them this week and can sell them when they are delivered. I picked mine up today and asked and they said there was NO embargo. 

Don't get upset with Lego they have said the release date is Oct. Use the Buzz Wiz app and get on with life, you are one of the lucky ones that got to build it early! Lego is also about the build remember

2 minutes ago, HRU_Bricks said:

I picked mine up today and asked and they said there was NO embargo.

Oh well, if the store selling the set said it then it must be true.

Simply plan the release date for the app update a couple of weeks prior to the “embargo” date. It’s not that complicated.

I really don’t get the “exact timing”, which always leads to confusion and disappointment.

I don't need to know what the capricious dates for TLG launches are.

If I go to a store find a set that I like, pay for it and surprise... can't use it, IT IS TLG fault.

They can't control stores, ok, but they control shipping to stores and soft availability.

Just don't make available something that is unusable. Isn't that hard to make the soft available before the hardware.

3 minutes ago, aol000xw said:

I don't need to know what the capricious dates for TLG launches are.

If I go to a store find a set that I like, pay for it and surprise... can't use it, IT IS TLG fault.

They can't control stores, ok, but they control shipping to stores and soft availability.

Just don't make available something that is unusable. Isn't that hard to make the soft available before the hardware.

I don't get it. How can TLG be responsible for the wrongdoings of others? The official release date was communicated. How can you expect the release of the app before the release of the set itself?

And if you go into a store and buy a nonworking set, then your complaints should be directed to the shop because they sold you a nonworking toy. And why is it not working? Because the shop decided to sell it before the official release date. It wasn't TLGs decision that you can buy the set earlier.

15 minutes ago, aol000xw said:

[...] they control shipping to stores [...]

You do realise, don't you, that there is NO WAY TLG can control shipping to the extent that the sets will be deiivered to shops at the very last minute. If you don't then I suggest you come out from under that rock and get a taste of the real world before flinging mud left, right and centre.

29 minutes ago, Jim said:

Simply plan the release date for the app update a couple of weeks prior to the “embargo” date. It’s not that complicated.

I really don’t get the “exact timing”, which always leads to confusion and disappointment.

Uh, maybe because it's the only effective tool TLG has to somehow discourage pre-release sales?

Just now, suffocation said:

If you don't then I suggest you come out from under that rock and get a taste of the real world before flinging mud left, right and centre. 

Oh is that kind of remark neccesary? Does it make you feel better?

What I realize is they can ship after the software is available, not that complicated as last minute logistics mind you.

Is TLG who is setting an embargo or launch date hence is TLG who is responsible to policy that.

And I guess they can figure out someone will get the set before the date and will be pissed off if can't use it. The simply chose to make it so.

I don't like their choice.

Just now, aol000xw said:

And I guess they can figure out someone will get the set before the date and will be pissed off if can't use it. The simply chose to make it so.

I don't like their choice.

But still... TLG knows the release date (of course they do), The reseller know them too. The customer might know. The rules were set from the beginning on. If you can buy it earlier and can't use because another part (in this case the app) is not available yet, who is responsible? Who put you, the customer, in the position to be disappointed? TLG or the shop, which sold it earlier and thereby didn't follow the TLGs plan?