Just now, CSX9992 said:

I know I’m a dummy but is it possible to test the motors before building would not be cool to have a bad motor after you build it 42100 

Sure,
Put the batteries in the hubs
plug in all motors according to the manual.
test it...

functions like calibrating won't work offcourse.

Thank you I’m not worried about calibration at the moment it would be disappointing to spend that much only to have a bad motor 

1 hour ago, CSX9992 said:

I know I’m a dummy but is it possible to test the motors before building would not be cool to have a bad motor after you build it 42100 

If you check the instructions at the end of each set of bags you'll find an image that tells you to perform a test in the app. The app has 4 test stages so you'll be able to test each section with the motors. Here's the first test in my review video. The second test had a bug in the beta app (and I was told it's still there in the public version as well), despite only having one motor connected to the second hub after finishing the second batch of bags, you need to connect all motors to the second hub otherwise the app won't connect to it and won't perform the test. 

After building fase 1 het (updated) app wanted to test the base. Unfortunately there is no connection as long as I only connect 1 hub. And after connecting both hubs there was a firmware udate for both hubs (nice flashing colours) and no testing the wheels. Just trying to calibrate. Sounds familiar to somebody?

2 hours ago, Arnoob said:

After building fase 1 het (updated) app wanted to test the base. Unfortunately there is no connection as long as I only connect 1 hub. And after connecting both hubs there was a firmware udate for both hubs (nice flashing colours) and no testing the wheels. Just trying to calibrate. Sounds familiar to somebody?

Is everything in right port 

1st hub is red yellow and green use ports A B and D

A is red B is yellow D is green that is how I read the instructions but I haven’t powered up yet 

On 10/3/2019 at 1:38 AM, I_Igor said:

... BTW @Toastie human has short intestines :wink:, but I think this is more for technic pub...

Holy guacamole ... can't find the meaning of that ... tried short, small ... intestine though cool enough:roflmao: I mean in the urban dictionary :tongue:

And where do I find the technic pub - that seems to be a fun place.

All the best!

Thorsten 

9 hours ago, CSX9992 said:

Will it work with only one hub?

It might if you completely re-engineered it with a 8043-style gearbox and a backhoe shovel, but the performance would likely be pretty dismal.

Anyone else noticed the rotation of the linear actuator in the 2nd test phase with the app is the wrong way around? I'm pretty sure I built it correctly and a video on youtube showed the same behaviour so I'm guessing it should be fine and just a minor bug in the app.

2 hours ago, Marno said:

Anyone else noticed the rotation of the linear actuator in the 2nd test phase with the app is the wrong way around? I'm pretty sure I built it correctly and a video on youtube showed the same behaviour so I'm guessing it should be fine and just a minor bug in the app.

I didn't notice this. I'm fairly certain it's just a bug in the app which shows the wrong direction of rotation.

There is no way to construct this incorrectly without running into problems that something wouldn't fit.

The only way that you could start to construct it wrongly would be if in step 277 you incorrectly place one of the 5L red brown axles with stop that hold a 16 tooth LBG gear in the centre hole of the 15L LBG beam and then go on with this throughout the next steps consistently. This way the number of gearings between the motor and the actuator would for both actuators change from even to odd, resulting in a direction change.

You'd run into a problem though when placing the 24 tooth tan gears in step 280 (they just wouldn't fit), so you'd surely notice then.

Amazing! I had guessed right that @Sariel had been asked to build a B-model, but this was not what I had imagined. Cool!

2 minutes ago, ShowsOn said:

Incredible!

Very cool!

Though they did cheat a little bit. It's not the exactly same model as the Lego one. This one doesn't have the opening bucket, which means one less control to operate. Nevertheless, way cool!

On 10/4/2019 at 10:12 AM, kbalage said:

The second test had a bug in the beta app (and I was told it's still there in the public version as well), despite only having one motor connected to the second hub after finishing the second batch of bags, you need to connect all motors to the second hub otherwise the app won't connect to it and won't perform the test. 

Wow, took me some time to find this!

If you do the test at the end of the second part with just one motor connected the hub will have the blue led for a second or two and then return to a series of short white flashing lights. Connect the other three motors as well and the test will be ok.

This is so, so cool. I have so many questions about this:

1. Did they use the actual c+ app? They are shown looking at computer screens.

2. If it was the app: was it vanilla or did they introduce special changes (like: different engine setup and different amount of angular offset for keeping the modelling of timing and angles work).

3. That's more than Bluetooth range, isn't it?

4. I'm going to bet there was a safety driver inside the cabin at all times, riiiiight?

5. How long since inception to realising?

6. How much time were they given by the Liebherr's owner.

7. Lego only calls out sariel: was he the only afol involved? Who are the other people on the clip?

Edited by konryd

3 hours ago, Enantiomeer said:

Though they did cheat a little bit. It's not the exactly same model as the Lego one. This one doesn't have the opening bucket, which means one less control to operate. Nevertheless, way cool!

Yes, it is the same exact model as the Lego one. Please, at least try to do some research before commenting. It doesn't have an opening bucket because R 9800 comes in two configurations: front shovel and back shovel, and at the time of our filming there were only two front-shovel R 9800's in the world.

3 hours ago, konryd said:

1. Did they use the actual c+ app? They are shown looking at computer screens.

2. If it was the app: was it vanilla or did they introduce special changes (like: different engine setup and different amount of angular offset for keeping the modelling of timing and angles work).

3. That's more than Bluetooth range, isn't it?

4. I'm going to bet there was a safety driver inside the cabin at all times, riiiiight?

5. How long since inception to realising?

6. How much time were they given by the Liebherr's owner.

7. Lego only calls out sariel: was he the only afol involved? Who are the other people on the clip?

1. Yes, we did. The computer screens were showing us telemetry from the R 9800's cabin. Positions of joysticks, engines' status and such. We couldn't drive an 800-tonne machine by just looking at it from afar.

2. The app was a development version, since we've done it several months before the 42100 set's release, so it wasn't exactly the same as final app, but I don't know the details. It looked and worked the same.

3. As I've already explained, LEGO had developed a way of transforming Bluetooth signal into wi-fi and back again. Essentially they've brought an engineer who built two devices: one that pretended to be the Control+ hub to the phone and one that pretended to be the phone to the Control+ hub, and they communicated using wi-fi. Once we got that working, the wi-fi range was only a matter of big enough antennas.

4. Can't comment on that, sorry.

5. A little under 6 months.

6. We had 2 days on site at Australia. Before that, we've made several trips to Colmar, where they build R 9800's, to measure the cabin and build prototypes.

7. The core team was 4 people: 3 LEGO employees and me. Wait for my videos to learn more.

really cool @sariel

Subscribing to your channel and following all the cool creations just reached the next level.  Keep it coming :)

Hi Folks,

today finally my R 9800 arraived, but I was quite surprised as I noticed that my Excavator started excavating already in the box.*huh*:facepalm:

It seems that Lego is heading towards a packaging problem again (remember the Porsche, another premium set) :thumbdown: :

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

At least nothing except the box was damaged. But for a 450€ Set, this is unaccaptable! Imagine the bucket got another oriantation in the box: it would be definitly be bent or worse...

BR, Guenther