50 minutes ago, suffocation said:

This, unfortunately, is very likely :wall:

The last thing I want to do when I'm building is to look at a bloody screen.

I build a custom 10194 Emerald Night in dark blue and had to use digital instructions. Maybe it was because they were from 2009 but it was extremely hard to see which color the parts were. If TLG ever does this I'm done. A toy shouldn't require a computer. A phone is one thing. 

2 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

What a brilliant model. The "dumb" customer pays 450 EUR and there are bugs on release. Interesting what will be happen in 5 years when the app is full of other models and profiles and will reach up to 2GB.

And the lack of B-model is a bod joke. Whats the problem to make another app profile, maybe for a cool tracked loader like 8043 B?. This is the first "flagship" in newer Technic history without alternative model and this decision makes me sick. The next TLG decision will be to save the instruction book and replace it with digital building only. "Hey, the fanboy customer needs anyway his phone or tablet to control this model, he also can build it on digital device - why we include a instruction book here". This model is far away from beeing a worth Technic flagship as Andromeda from Milkyway - and this model is far away from what Technic should be.

The app is currently 349MB
But it's weird that the app doesn't have the option to move it to an SD card instead of internal memory.
At this moment 349MB isn't that large but in the future it may indeed become a size problem.

About hardcopy instructions: Do you perhaps own Boost?

About B models: Well, if that would be like 42082 they better skip it.

Edited by coinoperator

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

The last thing I want to do when I'm building is to look at a bloody screen.

Environment-wise, I always rather hate those paper instructions, to be honest. I only use them once, and from that moment on, they're waste.

The question, of course, is what's actually worse: the download + electricity cost, or the paper + ink + extra shipped weight.

But it feels rather wasteful to spend so much trees and ink on a book that's only used once. So personally, I really wouldn't mind to see them go all-digital on instructions. But this is probably an unpopular opinion. There's probably no solution that will keep everyone happy (including the general public). The best I could think of, is: sets are without paper instructions; these are sold separate, and physical stores give the option of borrowing instructions rather than buying them. Like a good old-fashoned library.

50 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Environment-wise, I always rather hate those paper instructions, to be honest. I only use them once, and from that moment on, they're waste.

The question, of course, is what's actually worse: the download + electricity cost, or the paper + ink + extra shipped weight.

But it feels rather wasteful to spend so much trees and ink on a book that's only used once. So personally, I really wouldn't mind to see them go all-digital on instructions. But this is probably an unpopular opinion. There's probably no solution that will keep everyone happy (including the general public). The best I could think of, is: sets are without paper instructions; these are sold separate, and physical stores give the option of borrowing instructions rather than buying them. Like a good old-fashoned library.

Borrowing instructions obviously isn't a realistic option for multiple reasons. Why wouldn't including them keep everyone happy? I don't know anyone who actually dislikes them, and if you do, just throw them out?

21 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Borrowing instructions obviously isn't a realistic option for multiple reasons. Why wouldn't including them keep everyone happy? I don't know anyone who actually dislikes them, and if you do, just throw them out?

Watch out, Greta will come for you...

45 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Watch out, Greta will come for you...

Do we need to bag on the kid here?  It's not like the internet is short of that already.

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

just throw them out?

Yes, we'll just keep digging our own species grave. Greta has a point.

Just now, zoo said:

Yes, we'll just keep digging our own species grave. Greta has a point.

Sell them then.

And lets not turn this into a political/global warming debate.

I think the paper used in the instructions booklet is negliable by the amount of paperwork companies and institutions waste daily on useless birocracy.

But let's return back to the topic, I wish TLG would be able to find time/human resources for the B model. I mean since instructions for B model are electronic, they can still relase them after launch, even if it takes a few more weeks.

And if they need more human resources, there are plenty of people (myself included) on this forum capable to work as designers!

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

I think the paper used in the instructions booklet is negliable by the amount of paperwork companies and institutions waste daily on useless birocracy.

Very true, but they are really getting better.

I suggest visiting a newspaper stand, bookstore etc. and look at the important messages from biz-people, the queens and kings and their siblings, the super important would-be stars and stars. Every single week, they have tons of very important news on that - printed in low quality color, but printed - of the highest interest to the masses. The amount of LEGO instructions is next to nothing compared to that. But yes, even next to nothing is more than nothing. We need to balance a bit though.

To be honest: With the x-million pages instruction come y-million pieces of ABS. And these are - as of now - made from non-renewable resources. See here for the entire ABS footprint.

When you worry about the environment, worry about the ABS rather than the instruction making. Honestly? LEGO is next to nothing compared to what is going on: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene-market

Keep it in balance. Think about your every day's life, there are so many >way< more efficient things you can do - use public transportation, eat less meat, etc. etc.

It is not our hobby. But it is almost everything else. 

All the best,
Thorsten

6 hours ago, coinoperator said:

About hardcopy instructions: Do you perhaps own Boost?

Yes. Boost Star Wars. It is shit and the app sucks on loading building instruction

4 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Sell them then.

And lets not turn this into a political/global warming debate.

Agree because it is just manipulation and avoiding the truth. And for "environmentalists" there is pure electrical Liebherr... "Our" Liebherr on the other hand is just a one of first models of new control+ species, so everything new has a way to develop, to improve, but what I saw in various videos movement is smooth and reasonable slow which is realistic for such a machine. IMHO there is better to have tablet to run app than to use it on phone...

... BTW @Toastie human has short intestines :wink:, but I think this is more for technic pub...

Edited by I_Igor

5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

But let's return back to the topic, I wish TLG would be able to find time/human resources for the B model. I mean since instructions for B model are electronic, they can still relase them after launch, even if it takes a few more weeks.

Does anyone here remember whether Markus also designed 42055's B-model? I wanna respond to this comment but what I wanna say depends on who designed 42055-B.

Edited by Bartybum

3 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

who designed 42055-B.

The french guy

Aurelien Rouffiange you mean...?

A little off-topic (sorry @Jim)

I do understand the frustration of not having a B model because we were used to having one. But B models usually have influences on the A model (not optimal pin use, different beam colors, ...). From my point of view, having a single model enables to focus more on it, adding more specific details and optimize part use, making it more appealing. And I do have confidence in these guys building wonderful B models out there :laugh:

Going back to 42100, the new platform seems to work pretty well. I especially like the interface on the app where you can move the sections of the boom. It makes the controls easier for kids.

15 hours ago, aol000xw said:

You'll have to pry the paper instructions from my cold dead hands, thank you.

That makes 2 of us then, 

Although 42100 has the highest piece count, most of the rear of the superstructure is an empty box, so it doesnt feel as impressive as 42055. To me 42055 is still the king of mega Technic sets.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Although 42100 has the highest piece count, most of the rear of the superstructure is an empty box, so it doesnt feel as impressive as 42055. To me 42055 is still the king of mega Technic sets.

I find myself treating 42055 and 42100 separately, weirdly enough. I see the BWE as a huge toy, but the R9800 as a model. I kinda have to agree though; 42055's sheer, imposing size just takes the cake. That being said, 42100 definitely comes in very closely as the queen.

Buuuuut back to what I was gonna talk about earlier. After mulling over it, I've decided that there haven't been enough 4K models for me to come to a conclusion about the reasons behind the lack of a B-model. For now I'm happy with the notion that implementing another C+ profile for a 4K B-model may be too much for the first time round, especially when they're probably just trying to get a C+ set successfully working. In the future I'm hoping we'll see C+ sets with B-models. I suppose it's a bit of a bummer, but I wouldn't say that it makes me sick like someone else did earlier (*huh* by the way).

Ah, and @Zerobricks, releasing a B-model a few weeks down the line just eats into the development cycle of the following set.

Edited by Bartybum

2 hours ago, gmshades said:

Just finished base in 1st set of bags, and I have 5 black pins left over. Anyone else?

Had EXACTLY same, glad I'm not the only one. But in following modules I had almost none extra, so i think they might be most of the spares.

Edited by Zerobricks

I know I’m a dummy but is it possible to test the motors before building would not be cool to have a bad motor after you build it 42100