Just now, Andman said:

But still... TLG knows the release date (of course they do), The reseller know them too. The customer might know. The rules were set from the beginning on. If you can buy it earlier and can't use because another part (in this case the app) is not available yet, who is responsible? Who put you, the customer, in the position to be disappointed? TLG or the shop, which sold it earlier and thereby didn't follow the TLGs plan?

I really don't care as a customer who is responsible. It is not my job to know that.

What I know is that a LEGO product does not work. It isn't an Amazon, Walmart or whatever retailer product , It is a Lego product.and I'll blame TLG.

If TLG can't ensure retailers will comply then they should choose a different strategy as to not cause prejudice to their customers.

In the end I see no reason for the App not to be available before the set is available at retailers.

At the very least, they must ensure the customer will know the set won't work before the launch date. And I don't see that printed on the box, so yes it is TLG fault.

1. Sets delivered to retailers that DO have an embargo have a big sticker indicating not to sell before and got retailers follow that becuase they do not want trouble with Lego

2. The 42100 had no embargo on the sale as detailed by the retailers I saw today to find a set that arrived. 

3. Lego has a massive logistical challenge to have stock on shelves in shops at the same time on line releases. 

4. Retailers have discussed with Lego to bring online release dates and stock on shelf closer.  

5. The on line Lego released on the 1st that's when they want to release the app

35 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Uh, maybe because it's the only effective tool TLG has to somehow discourage pre-release sales?

Except, it's not effective. The past has proven that. 

You buy a 400+ euro set and you can't operate it. That is bad, really really bad. 

11 minutes ago, aol000xw said:

I really don't care as a customer who is responsible. It is not my job to know that.

Exactly :thumbup:

Just now, Jim said:

Except, it's not effective. The past has proven that. 

You buy a 400+ euro set and you can't operate it. That is bad, really really bad. 

What past? It's the first year they release sets with apps to go with them.

And that doesn't change the fact that if a person (or the person's shopkeeper) knows the set's official release date is October 1st, then expecting any related software or support before that date is preposterous and indicative of a self-entitled attitude.

5 minutes ago, HRU_Bricks said:

Lastly,  just don't buy the set until the 1st of October 

The stores should take responsibility and not put it on the shelves before the 1st of October. Again, it's not the consumer's job to know that the app is not available yet.

We are not talking AFOLs here. We're talking consumers, with expectations....buying a 400+ euro set.

Just now, Jim said:

Exactly :thumbup:

I agree, but the next in the whole is the shop. And they should know. But let's get back to the set. It's only 3 days until TLG (hopefully :-) releases the app update.

By the way, what is debatable in the first place is the need of a release date.

Yeah great for marketing... I guess, worse for everything else.

2 minutes ago, suffocation said:

What past? It's the first year they release sets with apps to go with them.

Enough experience to know that sets will hit the stores before app release date, even if it has just been a year.

2 minutes ago, suffocation said:

And that doesn't change the fact that if a person (or the person's shopkeeper) knows the set's official release date is October 1st, then expecting any related software or support before that date is preposterous and indicative of a self-entitled attitude.

The shopkeeper should know better and not put the set on the shelves. They should be well aware that the app is not available. Especially when it's a LEGO Brand Store.

Just now, aol000xw said:

By the way, what is debatable in the first place is the need of a release date.

Yeah great for marketing... I guess, worse for everything else.

I can already hear the complaints... "Why is the set in country x already available and not where I live. TLG is bad!" :-D

Incidentally, if you've got the set and want to play around with it you can use the BuWizz or Brick Controller 2 apps. They might not have all the "cool" stuff but then again neither did any of the IR-controlled sets released in the past 12 years.

Just now, Jim said:

Enough experience to know that sets will hit the stores before app release date, even if it has just been a year.

The shopkeeper should know better and not put the set on the shelves. They should be well aware that the app is not available. Especially when it's a LEGO Brand Store.

Then blame the shopkeeper, not TLG.

Lego Brand stores are not the same as Lego-owned stores, so TLG can't be held accountable for their shortcomings.

Like I said earlier; this problem is easily solved by releasing the app the moment you ship the set. We can discuss all we want, but it's not more complicated than that.

Just now, Jim said:

Like I said earlier; this problem is easily solved by releasing the app the moment you ship the set. We can discuss all we want, but it's not more complicated than that.

Wouldn't we have then nearly the same discussion, just the other way around? "Why did they release the app although we can't buy the set?"

Just now, Andman said:

Wouldn't we have then nearly the same discussion, just the other way around? "Why did they release the app although we can't buy the set?"

No, you don't got and pay 400€ for an app you can't use.

Just now, aol000xw said:

No, you don't got and pay 400€ for an app you can't use.

Ok, valid point.

Any way I am just happy I have one and can build it this weekend, I can run it with Buzz Wiz app for the next few days. get over it

Being a bit salty and exaggerated I'll say this marks the birth of LEGO as a service. You don't get to use it unless TLG explicitly allows you to do so.

Just now, aol000xw said:

Being a bit salty and exaggerated I'll say this marks the birth of LEGO as a service. You don't get to use it unless TLG explicitly allows you to do so.

LaaS :tongue:

once upon the time in the near future:

"A" typing on the internet: "I do not like this set from lego, too many stickers, too much colours...(add anything) "

"A" two days later on the internet again: "my 42100 does not work, it says app has been blocked...what to do? "

(sarcams alert - or maybe not)

We've been here in this topis Since Jan.31st!?what date is today? We manage to wait! Now its only a matter of 4 days, why we can't wait for the apps to be release ..? 

We do know that the release sale date is October 01st,  

...the problem is Some people wants to go FIRST... then expect the unexpected... 

-Shalom...

We are not talking about ourselves, but about consumers who purchase a 400+ euro set which cannot be controlled like advertised.

Just to add to the confusion, I wonder if the new version of the app is waiting iTunes / Google play store approval? Perhaps Lego has sent the new version, but it is yet to be approved. Of course this still implies poor organisation on Lego's part.

1 minute ago, ShowsOn said:

Just to add to the confusion, I wonder if the new version of the app is waiting iTunes / Google play store approval? Perhaps Lego has sent the new version, but it is yet to be approved. Of course this still implies poor organisation on Lego's part.

Approval doesn’t take long and if you want you can even plan the actual release date (taking approval time in account). So you can plan an exact date, like TLG has done for the 1st of October. 

Anyway, maybe it's indeed time to close the discussion and carry on with the actual set discussion. Guilty myself. Sorry about that, but I always get a bit annoyed when a simple solution can solve a unnecessary problem.

To get back onto why we all here...

The build so far is really good. It has the "Technic" feel which is a little surprising because it is a programmable set with position controlled motors that often negates the need for gearing and more complicate construction methods. There are a few pin choices that are interesting with axle pins being used as locator pins when standard black friction pins would give better stability in the frame. 

The set is worth every cent so far and I am only just beginning. It would not be too difficult to modify it for PF and remove the Control Plus parts for other builds (my intention). 

IMG20190927220026.jpg