@suffocation thanks for image :thumbup: As time passes by I like dark bluish gray XL sprockets more and more. BTW never new that there is something like farcebook or I'm not the only one with autocorrect issue

Edited by I_Igor

Ha ha, no autocorrect (don't even have it), I just like screwing around with names :laugh:

Anyone remember this? Granted, it has four XLs but they're only geared down 5:1 and still have no trouble with an 8 kg model.

Honest is great virtue. I personally try to make it perfect and check and double check everything and at the end autocorrect screws all my effort. (Hope that It did not screw something in my topic). About lots of gears look at the bright side; one-day if you get enough of that set it will be still great parts pack. :thumbup:

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

8z doesnt mesh with 28z horizontally though

It does with a stud offset, like 20:16, 12:24, etc...

59 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Not sure what the speed and torque stats of the new XL motors are but two PF XLs geared down 5:1 would be plenty to move that model around.

Same characteristics but different internal gearing, if you gear down the PU XL motor with a 12T/20T you'll get a similar speed. 

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

From farcebook. Talk about an inefficient design.

800x600.jpg

How else do you expect them to gear down all the way?

1 minute ago, Bartybum said:

How else do you expect them to gear down all the way?

Using some common sense would be a good start.

big t'chungus destroyer of bank accounts 

Looking at the part list it looks like a great source of parts for someone one does not have much resent technic (me).

@Aerolight True, and if you live in England then you're likely to find it at Argos for a good 35% off. I believe they were letting 42083 go for £200 today.

Edited by suffocation

3 hours ago, suffocation said:

From farcebook. Talk about an inefficient design.

800x600.jpg

Sorry for quiting the pic, but yeah.

Seems to me the designers wanted to keep the XL motors dead center in the construction, probably used as a load bearing element. This of course means there's a massive power train gping to the sprockets. I think they also had problems with the torque of the 17,85X geared down XL motor caused the tracks to snap, so they added the new clutch. But all in all, it's not THAT bad, there are only 10 gears in total, 9398 had approximately the same to get from motor to the wheel. One thing they could do is to use a combination of a 40Z and 24Z gear instead of 36Z and 28Z, which would allow for even higher gearing.

Edited by Zerobricks

2 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

First we're afraid of not enough gears in this set, now we're complaining there's too many? :laugh:

Lots of gears are cool when they're used efficiently.

The gear train actually looks pretty good to me. Besides the linear clutch the gears are all right next to each other on the axles so there's no room for axles to twist, which should cut down on the jerky movement of past sets. The final gear reduction stage of 28:36 was clearly done so that the axle could clear the new large sprocket, so that the axle could be supported easily at both ends. I also like how the 28 tooth gear is pinned directly to the 36 tooth gear to prevent any twisting of the axle there. I think this is going to move very smoothly. Also I think this gear train is much more interesting than endless 16 tooth gears all turning slowly at the same speed. With a solid structure that doesn't allow for much twisting I think this won't have that much friction because of not having bevel gears (in the real world bevel gears are not a problem when you have tapered roller bearings) or worm gears. 

@suffocation sure that much larger model used 4 XL motors geared down 1:5, but so what? If those XL motors weren't being bogged down by the weight then that excavator would be moving way too fast for scale. So either the motors are under too much stress or the model moves way too fast, neither of which is desirable for a scale model. Maybe the designers of this set wanted a slower speed to be more scale accurate (to be fair the movement of the arm on 42100 is much too slow!).  

Edited by allanp

8 hours ago, suffocation said:

Using some common sense would be a good start.

...that’s not an answer. How would you do it?

Looking at the part list I noticed there are only 4 brackets for the LAs . The 2 central LAs are connected in an unusual way, you can partially see it from this photo.

48065534113_3cd4252a36_b.jpg