I'm from China, currently, this set is 2500rmb ($320 euro) in Taobao. If you wait until November, there would be big sales. I believe the price would close to $280 euro.

Some lucky folks will be receiving the set ahead of time. If anyone could be so kind, please post the weight of the whole box. Id like to calculate the price per gram of this set.

Edited by nerdsforprez

4 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Some lucky folks will be receiving the set ahead of time. If anyone could be so kind, please post the weight of the whole box. Id like to calculate the price per gram of this set.

According to amazon.de it's 6.46 kg

Hmmmm....if this is correct then indeed this will be a pricy set compared to other sets. Ill plug it in my model later tonight.  

This should come as no surprise.  If 42099 taught us anything, Lego customers pay a premium for new parts, eletronics, motors, etc. Probably something for overall R&D.  Research into the issue indicates license issues contribute less to price than do PF functions, new Control+, etc.

So the issue of price comes up again.  For reference see this thread:

But because we are referring to exactly this set - I will reference it here. At 4108 pieces and around 6460 grams, this set is indeed expensive from a PPP and PPG perspective.  At least this is the figure quoted by another member from Amazon. 

I question this.  This makes the set pretty light given its number of pieces and all the motors/hub, etc.  42082 clocked in at just under 6000 grams and it only had a BB box and one motor.  In fact, another way of looking at it is to divide the overall weight of a set by its pieces.  This gives you weight per piece (I know, I know, so much other stuff in the box..... blah blah blah, this is admittedly an imperfect metric but at least it is something) which for 42100 would be a paltry 1.57 grams per piece.  I think this may be unlikely given all the motors. 

If indeed this is correct then this set's weight is likely offset by many, many pins and/or other small pieces. 

The average weight per piece sounds reasonable. Granted, the motors probably clock in at 50-60 gpp but then we have hundreds of pins and chain links which are probably well below a gram. The set also has quite a few small system parts (I think there's a replica of the engines inside - can't remember, getting senile).

42082 has large tires and wheels, which are on the heavier end as far as non-electric pieces go. 42100 on the other hand has treads, which add a large number of lightweight pieces. It also seems to have much more lightweight system parts used for decorations while 42082 doesn't have that many (just head- and taillights + some mirrors). These might explain some of the apparent discrepancy between weight/parts ratio of those two sets.

While this is indeed an impressive set, these style of models are lost on me. I prefer the car builds as they appeal much more to me unlike the tractors and machinery builds. If I ever saw one on sale for a very good price then I may pick it up just for the build experience ?

On 9/19/2019 at 5:55 PM, nerdsforprez said:

calculate the price per gram

Thats absolutely ridiculous,
this set contains a load of electrics/electronics wich count as one piece but are very expensive.

2 minutes ago, coinoperator said:

Thats absolutely ridiculous,

Please watch your posting behaviour. I created a topic about phrasing sentences like this. You might want to read it.

Just now, nerdsforprez said:

Lol....PM'd.  This guy is creating quite a reputation for himself. 

Please don’t ignite the issue any further. PM is fine. No need to post that here. Thanks

Just now, Jim said:

Please don’t ignite the issue any further. PM is fine. No need to post that here. Thanks

Now thats really the subject isn't it?

I'm pretty sure someone's already figured it out and posted it but even after wading through 44 pages of comments I still can't find it (CTE doesn't help) - how long are the new actuators, both retracted and extended?

Edited by suffocation

38 minutes ago, suffocation said:

I'm pretty sure someone's already figured it out and posted it but even after wading through 44 pages of comments I still can't find it (CTE doesn't help) - how long are the new actuators, both retracted and extended?

15L to 23L. 

Not sure what the speed and torque stats of the new XL motors are but two PF XLs geared down 5:1 would be plenty to move that model around.

Maybe they wanted to avoid 8t gears? I don't know. I'd say if you want to achieve 1:18, just use 8:40 and then 8:28.

By the way, this is what I mean if I say a set is too big for what it does. It makes designers use their space inefficiently.