Weekly video excitement (was online last time as well, but better drop by drop :classic:).

User interface insights from Gamecom 2019 by StoneWarsDE:

Edited by agrof

10 hours ago, CSX9992 said:

with all the motors will the tracks be independent so you can turn it rather it moving laterally 

Yes the tracks are independent.

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I'm totally in love with the set and disagree with some of your opinions, but you're definitely allowed to be both. You can like a set but still be disappointed with some of its features, and vice versa.

This is true. It seems people love a set and won't accept its flaws or hate a set and won't accept it has some good points. I am very impressed with this set and its functions but I'm disappointed (but not surprised) at the way it recreates its functions so mechanically unrealistically. So I'm on the fence. As a parts pack or a showcase for the new control+ system it's great. But as a realistic working model excavator it doesn't do it for me.

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, allanp said:

But as a realistic working model excavator it doesn't do it for me.

Its an interesting point and i totally get what you're saying... all motors and no mechanicals is a less impressive set.. but even the most complex lego gears-based set isn't realistic. The real thing will have next to no gears in it, it will be massive hydraulic pumps, drive is probably hydrostatic motors, not clutches and drive shafts. 

But i agree the BUILD is a better experience when it complex gears... but more realistic? The only way to do that is to go fully pneumatic and to use a  pneumatic-motor for drive. All other options are as unrealistic as each other.

It is a brilliant showcase and parts pack for control+, without a doubt.. and i'd welcome it if it turns out its full of gearboxes, and a 30% discount would sweet too!! 

34 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

The only way to do that is to go fully pneumatic and to use a  pneumatic-motor for drive. All other options are as unrealistic as each other.

[Off topic]

So....anyone connected a PU / Control+ motor to the new pneumatic valves yet? :tongue:

The new motors support precise angles....proportional valve control? 

2 hours ago, andythenorth said:

[Off topic]

So....anyone connected a PU / Control+ motor to the new pneumatic valves yet? :tongue:

The new motors support precise angles....proportional valve control? 

Functional Technic has made a video if this application. I have also used the Boost hub and motors to do this as will. If you are going to do it and have more space I would gear it down to 2:1 to give you more torque as the valves do get sticky. 

This is my boost controlled GBC valve manifold with 3 valves running 8:24 gear ratio. it has position control to move a picking and placing robot arm. Rebrickable link --> https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22401/HRU Bricks/lego-boost-gbc-pneumatic-ball-factory/#comments 

20190223_131801.JPG

And someone was writing here, that there is no option to control pneumatic precisely. Of course, not as precise as using LA's, but not so bad at all. Hope we will get next year a nice flagship set (backhoe loader?) with a C+ units. It shouldn't be a problem to write an app.

Edited by blondasek

I work for the company that supplies Liebherr with the two very large engines (2x60L) that drive this excavator in real life ? I may have persuaded them to let us buy the set to use it for STEM activities at the schools we go to!  We’re disappointed it doesn’t have any of our branding but may add our own ? Looking forward to going through this post and reviewing some of the videos for functionality and what we’ll be able to do with it ? we also have a 25000 piece bespoke (lego designed) section of a 95L engine with working power cylinders etc, will try to dig out some pictures as it’s back in the US at the moment! 

57 minutes ago, Diz100 said:

I work for the company that supplies Liebherr with the two very large engines (2x60L) that drive this excavator in real life ? I may have persuaded them to let us buy the set to use it for STEM activities at the schools we go to!  We’re disappointed it doesn’t have any of our branding but may add our own ? Looking forward to going through this post and reviewing some of the videos for functionality and what we’ll be able to do with it ? we also have a 25000 piece bespoke (lego designed) section of a 95L engine with working power cylinders etc, will try to dig out some pictures as it’s back in the US at the moment! 

Great !
Besides the pictures we also need the parts list and the building plan for that 25.000 95L engine ! :wink: 

4 minutes ago, Roberto65 said:

Great !
Besides the pictures we also need the parts list and the building plan for that 25.000 95L engine ! :wink: 

Haha it’s been a while since I’ve seen it but if I remember correctly it’s not full engine and they wouldn’t share the plans with me! I think lego themselves designed it and charged a small fortune for design, bricks and instructions. It was impressive none the less and the bit I did get to build was fun. Will search for the videos and photos. 

22 minutes ago, CSX9992 said:

When will the control app be available?

Very likely from the release date of the set on.

Is this a car?, the most important part of the machine is the arm and I saw a few seconds of movement without see all the complete movement... we will have to make races with them...

22 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Is this a car?, the most important part of the machine is the arm and I saw a few seconds of movement without see all the complete movement... we will have to make races with them...

Well they probably didn't want the video to be 3 hours long to see the full range of movement :grin:

On 8/30/2019 at 12:10 PM, m3eu said:

Very curious about a follow up on your Conrad order. Did you get any order/ shipping confirmation, or perhaps a cancellation? Ofcourse I hope you'll be lucky and receive this set before most people do!

Yesterday they send an e-mail confirming the new shipment date; week 40 (30/9 ~ 4/10). This is completely as expected. Their little mistake in putting the set online too soon effectively created a pré-order situation for those people who put in an order. For me this is no issue; I'll still get the set at the earliest possible date.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

Well they probably didn't want the video to be 3 hours long to see the full range of movement :grin:

A very funny way to call it slow :laugh: .

3 hours ago, allanp said:

32 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

A very funny way to call it slow :laugh: .

I don't mean for this to be snarky, I really don't, but folks complain all the time about realistic mechanics, movement, etc.  Well, I have seen videos of the real thing, and it moves pretty slow.  Anything this large does.  Isn't the slowness just a manifestation of the real thing?  Also, it would jerk and be difficult to control if faster - no?  I really don't understand the "too slow" criticism.....

9 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I don't mean for this to be snarky, I really don't, but folks complain all the time about realistic mechanics, movement, etc.  Well, I have seen videos of the real thing, and it moves pretty slow.  Anything this large does.  Isn't the slowness just a manifestation of the real thing?  Also, it would jerk and be difficult to control if faster - no?  I really don't understand the "too slow" criticism.....

Excellent points, to which I'm going to add - and I'm just making glutei maximi out of you and me here - that the motors driving the arm are likely geared down also to limit the risk of clumsy/distracted/anencephalic users accidentally hitting objects or the floor and damaging the actuators, which given their length would be placed under great stress and be very likely to break.

But yeah, it's cooler to be skin-deep and shit on everything the whole time.

Edited by suffocation

I see in this excavator, the opportunity to finally enhance the excavator 8043 with the right LAs , the 42009 with the right LAs and the 42082 with the right LAs all at the same time, even to fit or to mod the 42082 with tracks. This is why the Liebherr 42100 is a must buy from the very start. The 42100 can be "easily" modded into this.....

20180419_190041.jpg

I can use the base, the bucket and the new motors with the hubs, it's like it was meant to be a rope shovel excavator

3 hours ago, suffocation said:

Excellent points, to which I'm going to add - and I'm just making glutei maximi out of you and me here - that the motors driving the arm are likely geared down also to limit the risk of clumsy/distracted/anencephalic users accidentally hitting objects or the floor and damaging the actuators, which given their length would be placed under great stress and be very likely to break.

But yeah, it's cooler to be skin-deep and shit on everything the whole time.

What is the significance of the yellow bushings on liebherr? Cosmetic?

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Slow arm movement, making it smaller would have been faster but it is a huge arm even for new L.A.s.

Edited by jorgeopesi

GVO25

On my to-do list is a bucket shovel just about like yours. Wire rope is perfect. I want to add a 'crowding' feature, since this will be a loading shovel, not an excavation one. Crouding is a feature where the bucket moves horizontally forward from its backwards position before raising.

If you want to share other pictures or plans, I'd appreciate it. E-mail is fine if they are not "perfect" :wink:

Ed

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I don't think that's snarky at all, of course you can have a different opinion and I can now tell you why it's incorrect :laugh:. Seriously though yes, the real life machine is kinda slow, but still I think much faster than the Technic version. After all it has to be profitable and economically viable. If the real machine were as slow as the Technic version it would be quicker and cheaper to pay some guy to use a shovel! Well that might be an over exaggeration but you know what I mean :sweet:

Edited by allanp