It is steep but it keeps with TLG price point. I will only purchase the parts I dont have ie.. new power functions, hubs, linear actuators etc.. I have all the bricks. Will be a fun build.. I hope they include a B model of a bull dozer.. 

14 hours ago, knotian said:

Excellent point! Do you think there is enough ' hesitation ' to convince TLG to stay with the PF? I'd sure join the protest. I do mainly static industrial models that do not need 'RC'. Extension cables for both PF and EV3 do a fine job. 

Someone said TLG will release a dumb battery box -no RC- for PUp motors, I hope they will also release adapter cables for PF. I have no hope for PF.

15 hours ago, knotian said:

Excellent point! Do you think there is enough ' hesitation ' to convince TLG to stay with the PF? I'd sure join the protest. I do mainly static industrial models that do not need 'RC'. Extension cables for both PF and EV3 do a fine job. 

From the Power UP media days Lego indicated there was going to be a "dumb" battery box much like the PF battery box the works with the new motors.  The motors in the PU range are price comparable to the PF range so it shouldn't (hopefully)  affect the price too much.  From the info released it was hard to tell if the dumb battery box had multiple outputs. 

There for a set like the BWE, in theory shouldnt be more expensive than it was.... Hopefully 

Already working g on the model B

On 8/19/2019 at 7:05 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

lego-technic-liebherr-42100-0009.jpg

lego-technic-liebherr-42100-0010.jpg

Anyone else find it interesting they chose to use an adult instead of child or teenager to model these official pictures?  Can we safely assume sets such as these (with a ~500$ ) price tag are designed for adults and not kids/teens. 

15 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Anyone else find it interesting they chose to use an adult instead of child or teenager to model these official pictures?  Can we safely assume sets such as these (with a ~500$ ) price tag are designed for adults and not kids/teens. 

Spot on! 

I don't know who would buy this for the children.  That said I did buy a second hand BWE form a family who bought it for there 9 year old... When they asked if it was more my son I did feel a little embarrassed when I said it was for me and I have 4 more ? 

Edited by HRU_Bricks

I think targeted for the more affluent adults.   Maybe grandma/grandpa too if the grandkid want one.  :wink:

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Could be, but it will all depend on the manual imo. If it still uses baby steps for kids like all other sets, then it still isn't fully tuned for AFOLs.

2 minutes ago, Appie said:

If it still uses baby steps for kids like all other sets, then it still isn't fully tuned for AFOLs.

I dunno, dude - kids are usually smarter than adults. At least in some countries *cough* Italy *cough*

Edited by suffocation

Just now, suffocation said:

I dunno, dude - kids are usually smarter than adults.

Too true :laugh:

6 hours ago, Appie said:

Could be, but it will all depend on the manual imo. If it still uses baby steps for kids like all other sets, then it still isn't fully tuned for AFOLs.

Believe me, there's a world of difference between "adults" and "AFOLs".

I sometimes create for myself the opportunity to build a set together with my boyfriend and I can tell you: instructions are NOT too easy.

I find it, by the way, an enlightening experience to see someone struggle with the instructions. It teaches that something that's totally obvious to me, can be a complete riddle for someone else. Remember, we're the top <0.1%, because we're the people that tried the hobby and chose to stay with it for years. Of all the people, I'd say we're the least qualified to tell how difficult this is. Similar to how one cannot judge a person one is infatuated with normally :)

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I sometimes create for myself the opportunity to build a set together with my boyfriend and I can tell you: instructions are NOT too easy.

I find it, by the way, an enlightening experience to see someone struggle with the instructions. It teaches that something that's totally obvious to me, can be a complete riddle for someone else. Remember, we're the top <0.1%, because we're the people that tried the hobby and chose to stay with it for years. Of all the people, I'd say we're the least qualified to tell how difficult this is. Similar to how one cannot judge a person one is infatuated with normally :)

I can second this. A while ago I gave my partner a set to assemble, it was one of the sets from my childhood (8865 Test Car) and the time it took to complete it was similar to what I spent on 42055 BWE (a much bigger and more complex set), which was the first set I assembled in almost 25 years. I still had the basic familiarity of components and mechanisms with me so for me it was mostly just following instructions (which I must say, are much simpler today than they were in 1988) but my partner had to first familiarize themselves with the pieces and how they come together, and even towards the end I had to give a hand from time to time. The next project was 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig, which went much smoother, but it still took time and there were still few steps where I had to help.

15 hours ago, Appie said:

TLG will never release a set fully tuned for AFOLs. It's as easy as that :classic:

I suppose if they have an AFOL tuned set that can make it past their current business case stage. :pir_laugh2:

On 8/19/2019 at 9:14 PM, knotian said:

PF has allready anounced to end soon.
TLG has invested a lot of money in R&D for these new systems.

PF ends
Basta

36 minutes ago, coinoperator said:

TLG has invested a lot of money in R&D for these new systems.

That does not necessarily make PUp any good, people is still hunting down those old Lego RC motors so the same might happen with PF for quite a while.

TLG may have ended PF production, but that isn't the end of PF.

I hope some third party will take this as an opportunity to offer some nice motors. Detachable cables so you can use either connector would be a win-win.

They will be availble on Ali Express for a very long time.

41 minutes ago, aol000xw said:

Detachable cables

Now that would be a real improvement, not to mention the junk wire TLG uses.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:26 PM, aol000xw said:

Do you expect adoption of this set to reach critical mass of contest level? It is not cheap and I think there is some hesitation regarding PUp... it may take some time if ever....

I do - I think the negativity is in the (vocal) minority. Of course, only actual sales figures will tell for sure, but i think it will be popular. I'd also suggest that 42099's average positivity went up when some forum members actually bought one.. most negativity was pre-launch. I expect 42100 to be bought at healthy volumes, and to gain popularity in the same way. Its usual that the negative view is loudest, across society, thats not a criticism, just a fact - negative tactical voting often produces strange election results as the positive people were less mobilised. In the same way, those that are positive about the set probably aren't as vocal, but will once they buy it and build it. I think the current 'mood' is heavily skewed to the negative for the above reasons.

21 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Fair enough. One thing though for me personally about your point of staying with the hobby for years helping us to find these instructions too easy: I can honestly say, I make more mistakes with modern instructions than I did with the ones I had as a kid. So am I going backwards? :laugh:

11 hours ago, Jim said:

TLG will never release a set fully tuned for AFOLs. It's as easy as that :classic:

I know.:classic:

On 8/19/2019 at 11:42 PM, suffocation said:

Oh noez, no B moddul - all teh snowflakes r gonna melt.

Bloody Afols.

Actually, given how shitty teh B modduls have been recently, it probably is for the best that TLG isn't bothering with them.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHIy6tTb3uz80TsuMfE

Case in point. :sick:

1 hour ago, Appie said:

I make more mistakes with modern instructions than I did with the ones I had as a kid

I know the type of mistake I make has definitely changed: As a kid (90s), I did the steps more one-by-one, and I'd collect all the pieces for a step beforehand to keep from forgetting one. With modern instructions, I'm more likely to forget a step entirely, typically when the previous step has been more fiddly than usual. And I rarely collect the pieces before I need them, though part of that is more thorough organization of pieces.

50 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

I know the type of mistake I make has definitely changed: As a kid (90s), I did the steps more one-by-one, and I'd collect all the pieces for a step beforehand to keep from forgetting one. With modern instructions, I'm more likely to forget a step entirely, typically when the previous step has been more fiddly than usual. And I rarely collect the pieces before I need them, though part of that is more thorough organization of pieces.

I sometimes end up skipping entire steps too, it seems like an exploded view of a model would be a little easier to follow, but my experience with nanoblock instructions doesn't show me its' easier, in fact it's more difficult to follow, but I'm less likely to make a mistake.

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Case in point. :sick:

Well, they turned ABS into taurus guano, so you have to admire their chemistry skills.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:27 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Well, that would mean they could for once not throw in 50 different colors in the inside. But I bet they'll do so anyways.