2 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This overlaps a lot with the mindstorms forum, but I wonder if the brick has a USB port or a microSD port so that an ev3dev-like image could be developed for it? That would absolutely be the icing on the cake because ev3dev makes the ev3 so much more immersive because there's so much more that can be done.

That would be awesome!

From facebook, more pictures there in the Powered Up groups.

But BOT
They left something to desire with that wiring there...

Edited by coinoperator

So I guess the reason the Liebherr is postponed is basically that they expect if they release the liebherr and the 4x4 at the same time, people will pass on the 4x4 while this way more people will buy both.

6 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

So I guess the reason the Liebherr is postponed is basically that they expect if they release the liebherr and the 4x4 at the same time, people will pass on the 4x4 while this way more people will buy both.

Sounds reasonable but it should have been reversed...:laugh_hard:

I pass the 4x4 anyway, too much a toy.

8 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This overlaps a lot with the mindstorms forum, but I wonder if the brick has a USB port or a microSD port so that an ev3dev-like image could be developed for it? That would absolutely be the icing on the cake because ev3dev makes the ev3 so much more immersive because there's so much more that can be done.

You are mixing things up

These BT devices are pure passive, they have no sort of "intelligent" electronics on bord.
NXT, EV3 and that new thing however contain a small computer that can store software and execute it.
PUP and C+ systems are commanded by an external device.

So you won't have to shout "Open the pod bay door HAL" to a PUP or C+ device.
The others however...

Edited by coinoperator

22 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

That is basically what Markus said in one of the videos.

21 minutes ago, coinoperator said:

These BT devices are pure passive, they have no sort of "intelligent" electronics on bord.

If I am not mistaken, the new Control+ unit does have some intelligence on board.

Technic is losing its north. The Technic is for build this with 1500 or even less pieces, I do not need all the extra functions nor to play or to build but I would have to pay for if I wanted. I admit it is beatiful but Technic does not have to be it, it has to work, to see aesthetic Lego I already had all the other Lego. I will have almost all the new parts except the motors, I think the old ones still work perfectly for me. Maybe I am getting old but I still have fun more with the phisically parts of Lego than the electronics.

8 minutes ago, Magical Duck said:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but are those new red wire clips? Very handy.

Red, green, and yellow in that photo. Colour coded per function.

2 hours ago, coinoperator said:

NXT, EV3 and that new thing however contain a small computer that can store software and execute it.

The others however...

LEGO seems to be using the STM family of microcontrollers in their BT devices.  It's the LEGO firmware that makes them passive devices to be commanded by another device.  You could write and replace the LEGO firmware with something more intelligent and store programs too in its flash memory.  There are SDKs on the STMicroElectronics website. 

42096, 42099 and 42100 are the 3 biggest Technic sets in 2019 and ALL of these sets have no official B-model. Thats a shame for this price point. What the designers do the entire year? What are the official 2019 models by Reindl, Pederson and the french guy?

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

1 hour ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

What the designers do the entire year? What are the official 2019 models by Reindl, Pederson and the french guy?

They're probably busy designing next year's sets or something.

How does the designer structure work anyway? Is it two separate teams, where one finalizes and releases sets one year, while the other is busy designing sets for the following year? So taking turns on the front lines and behind the scenes in essence.

Edited by Bartybum

8 hours ago, coinoperator said:

Great photo! After this, the only strange thing for me is lack of the new biscuit connector

4 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

What are the official 2019 models by Reindl, Pederson and the french guy?

Aurelien designed the 42095.

8 hours ago, pleegwat said:

That is the "money" shot right there. Split the release so to get people to buy the 4x4 and then the liebherr. The period of 2-3 months is generally when people get over the "fix" of the new shiny toy and then have to move onto the next thing

9 hours ago, coinoperator said:

From facebook, more pictures there in the Powered Up groups.

But BOT
They left something to desire with that wiring there...

Since here where I live there is enormous manipulating with fb statuses, I do not use it...

Thanks for understanding my situation. I'll keep waiting for another good Will to post images.

Kind regards

9 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Technic is losing its north. The Technic is for build this with 1500 or even less pieces, I do not need all the extra functions nor to play or to build but I would have to pay for if I wanted. I admit it is beatiful but Technic does not have to be it, it has to work, to see aesthetic Lego I already had all the other Lego. I will have almost all the new parts except the motors, I think the old ones still work perfectly for me. Maybe I am getting old but I still have fun more with the phisically parts of Lego than the electronics.

Amen to that.

Thought so. In this model, this calibration must be pretty slow. Or maybe the torque control of the motors are so good and it's "safe" to assume that the actuators and other clutches never disengage

37 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Thought so. In this model, this calibration must be pretty slow. Or maybe the torque control of the motors are so good and it's "safe" to assume that the actuators and other clutches never disengage

But in one video we hear the clutches engage for a few seconds so surely that would throw the calibration out. I also wonder how the model is brought into calibration to begin with. My guess is that you must drive the motors so that the actuators are fully extended, at which point you can reset the calibration. The model can then know where the arm is by counting rotations of the motor. That will work but only with this model obviously and only if the clutches never engaged. 

4 hours ago, HRU_Bricks said:

That is the "money" shot right there. Split the release so to get people to buy the 4x4 and then the liebherr. The period of 2-3 months is generally when people get over the "fix" of the new shiny toy and then have to move onto the next thing

Markus mentioned this in one of the videos. That they wanted to push the Liebherr more towards the holiday season. I am not sure that that is the actual reason though.

10 hours ago, Jim said:

If I am not mistaken, the new Control+ unit does have some intelligence on board.

13 hours ago, coinoperator said:

The others however...

The Spike Prime hub can store/run apps and the Boost hub will have something similar as the Star Wars Droid set needs it. The devs are planning to put a virtual machine on the smaller hubs as well (PU AAA hub / Control+ hub) so they can run apps on they own and not only by receiving commands from the app/remote. 

On 6/16/2019 at 3:06 PM, allanp said:

But in one video we hear the clutches engage for a few seconds so surely that would throw the calibration out. I also wonder how the model is brought into calibration to begin with. My guess is that you must drive the motors so that the actuators are fully extended, at which point you can reset the calibration. The model can then know where the arm is by counting rotations of the motor. That will work but only with this model obviously and only if the clutches never engaged. 

The Powered UP can sense torque overload thus on the control plus line the zero calibration point would be when torque = x (predetermined value).   It would have to calibrate at some point because the app displays the feed back on screen and the only sensors are in the motors 

I'm really Keen to know the one MD outs of this set! 

I could imagine the torque sensors being sensitive enough to detect the 'click' a friction clutch makes if it skips, especially if the friction clutch is close to the motor.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Markus mentioned this in one of the videos. That they wanted to push the Liebherr more towards the holiday season. I am not sure that that is the actual reason though.

No. I smell a bit of a cover-up there. TLG has had no problem releasing big sets like these side-by-side before, so why now? I still point the finger at teething problems with CONTROL+.

11 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

No. I smell a bit of a cover-up there. TLG has had no problem releasing big sets like these side-by-side before, so why now? I still point the finger at teething problems with CONTROL+.

I have the same feeling.