Isn't that for the whole Technic theme? I mean from the smallest set

On 6/7/2019 at 10:06 PM, Jockos said:

Isn't that for the whole Technic theme? I mean from the smallest set

In previously catalogs the theme starts with sets for the youngest ones, and then gets bigger and bigger throughout the next pages.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:53 PM, mortenm said:

From 7 years??

A lot of dads have now an excuse to buy it :laugh_hard:

Maybe they should mark it as PG

Andres has a video showing the Liebherr (and the 4x4). I have to say, I'm really impressed, both with the App functions and the model itself. It's much bigger than it looked on the pictures.

it seems the interviewer is more interested in the colour of the 4x4 instead of all those lovely new elements :drool:

there is nostalgic love for the old studded stuff with gears and levers but I gotta say that this set looks awesome! the only downfall for my liking is, as said by many, the smart phone touch screen playing. But considering that, kids will LOVE this sort of thing and we AFOL's will no doubt just get used to it.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

Are those wires really meant to be so?!

lego-technic-liebherr-r-9800-42100-heck-G

Well they really should be tucked up into the frame. Given they are symmetrical I would say that they are the main drive motors (2x xL). There is some interesting build techniques use in this build, very much looking forward to it. MK is a great designer.  Some other points I picked up on is that there is that the base is driven with 2x xL the structure rotation is the medium motor, the boom up and down is the xL motors and there is other boom functions are medium motors and they are located in the first boom section. 

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

lego-technic-liebherr-r-9800-42100-heck-

Very funny considering a month ago we was presented new Technic clips for wires!

Hahaha!

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

I really doubt it, I'm sure they're meant to be tucked in.

But daaaaaamn, Control+ for this set looks REALLY in depth. The prefab+custom automation grouping AND one-touch boom articulation are both insanely impressive. I do wonder whether Control+ will allow custom control schemes to be developed with such depth though, because I'd love to see/use these on future MOCs.

2 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

the only downfall for my liking is, as said by many, the smart phone touch screen playing.

At this stage I think it really becomes a compromise - if we get physical controls, then we can't have all these new play features. I'm more than happy to trade the physical controls away.

Also, hell yes at all the new pieces - giant sprockets, large LAs, 28t gears and a new linear clutch.

Edited by Bartybum

Even as someone who prizes mechanical authenticity above all else (which probably tells you all the things I don't like), I can't help but be impressed with this insane model. It's HUGE but in a way that feels justified.

I think the best way to sum up this model is to say that as a toy for older kids and adults this thing is surely one of these most impressive things a fan of Lego could show to a non fan of Lego regardless of age. I know my brother and my mates will say this is the best thing they've ever done by far (the huge creator roller coaster is current favourite), but they're not that much into Lego and won't buy it for themselves. They will also not be surprised at the price. When I showed them the UCS falcon, they were of course impressed. But when they asked about the price they were rather shocked to say the least. But there will be no surprise when they ask the price if this set. To me this set feels every bit of the price they are asking for.

As for my feelings as someone who is a long time Lego Technic fan who might buy it, all but one of the new parts look good and that linear clutch looks great for these geared motors, though I would still prefer to have much faster motors. The control+ side of things also look better than I had expected with that awesome one touch control. I'm amazed at the way you can move the arm on the screen and the real arm moves to that position, while the screen also shows a shadow of the arm moving to that position. Is this advantage over purely physical controllers enough to make me forget about physical controllers? Not at all, but still it's a very nice addition. It still remains to be seen how much customisation will be available. What if I want to make, for example, a pneumatic model where you have one compressor and 3 servo motors connected to valves. Ideally I would have it so whenever any of the servo/valves are in a non-central position the compressor motor runs automatically. When all servo/valves are in the middle position the compressor motor stops. Will I be able to set that up in the app? Or will there be some kind of custom control layout builder app thingy that will allow me to do that? The ability to create your own controls so that I can use control+ in a MOC (that's not a liebherr r9800 excavator) is a big question mark that hangs over control+ for me. I know it's very unlikely that I'll be needing those new long LAs for anything (the shorter ones are tedious enough, these longer ones will be practically unplayable when used manually). The model itself doesn't have any mechanical interest to me as it's entirely unrealistic but I'll be happy to lay down the (rather large sum of) money for it as an investment in all the new control+ stuff IF it is fully customisable, or at least there is a promise that it will be in the future.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

At this stage I think it really becomes a compromise - if we get physical controls, then we can't have all these new play features.

You are right when it comes to this set indeed, as modern real large equipment would have more screen readings and controls so it suits real well with all those read outs etc, it’s very playable. The 4x4 Or other MOC’s not so of course.

i got to say that it looks like it will move fairly quick despite it’s hefty size. 

17 minutes ago, allanp said:

IF it is fully customisable

Not a doubt it will be for me, it’s LEGO of course.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

What if I want to make, for example, a pneumatic model where you have one compressor and 3 servo motors connected to valves. Ideally I would have it so whenever any of the servo/valves are in a non-central position the compressor motor runs automatically. When all servo/valves are in the middle position the compressor motor stops. Will I be able to set that up in the app? Or will there be some kind of custom control layout builder app thingy that will allow me to do that? The ability to create your own controls so that I can use control+ in a MOC (that's not a liebherr r9800 excavator) is a big question mark that hangs over control+ for me. I know it's very unlikely that I'll be needing those new long LAs for anything (the shorter ones are tedious enough, these longer ones will be practically unplayable when used manually). The model itself doesn't have any mechanical interest to me 

It would not be a good conversion to Pneumatic as there is no real control over the flow in Lego Pneumatic systems, they are either open or closed - extended or retracted. Hydraulic  systems are different, the oil is (for the most part) a in-compressible volume thus in the real machine your have control

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

lego-technic-liebherr-r-9800-42100-heck-

Is it my imagination, an optical illusion, or is the 15L LBG beam in the center of the picture bending a bit?

This model looks absolutely awesome. I'm sure I'll buy it the first day it's available. Maybe I'll even take a day off work to be the first at the LEGO store.

I'm also certain I'll buy the 4*4 on day 1 to get my hands on the new control system. Love the fact that there are gyro sensors in it. Hopefully those can be used for constructing/programming auto leveling vehicles/systems in a relatively simple way. Maybe apply it to: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/111068-moc-feller-buncher-with-instructions/ or some cool big tank.

Also great new parts.

What I love most is the longer linear actuator (bigger cranes, yihaa!!!).

The wheel hub with the 1:5 reduction is also way cool.

The new 28 tooth gear is quite nice as well, makes it possible to create gear ratios that previously were only possible with the old 73071 Differential: https://rebrickable.com/parts/73071/technic-gear-differential-old-style-28-teeth/7/

I absolutely love what they did with the app. It’s so much more than I anticipated. For me, Control+ is already a big winner. SBrick and BuWizz are great products, but I prefer a genuine LEGO solution. Can’t wait to get my hands on this big boy.

Another video (mostly in German), but the App demo is in English and it shows both the model and the screen, so you can see what the controls actually do. 

The new linear clutch will be very useful, it will be interesting to see where/how it is used because as soon as it slips you will loose the position feedback of the motor (ie X degrees rotation). 

This overlaps a lot with the mindstorms forum, but I wonder if the brick has a USB port or a microSD port so that an ev3dev-like image could be developed for it? That would absolutely be the icing on the cake because ev3dev makes the ev3 so much more immersive because there's so much more that can be done.

I think they done a super job of ducking the question of whether you can use the remote control  or not :laugh:.

Also what colour is the new bucket element supposed to be, looks somewhere between LBG and DBG :shrug_oh_well:

Finally @Jim, are you reviewing this bad boy and how long do you think it will take you? :tongue:

Edited by Technic-Kobaltz

2 hours ago, Enantiomeer said:

Is it my imagination, an optical illusion, or is the 15L LBG beam in the center of the picture bending a bit?

I think we need to ease up on the whole "bending" bit here.  If we are going to scrutinize so closely, virtually every technic set with 4000+ pieces, 7 motors, and over 3 kilograms is going to bend somewhat.  It is ABS.  I have seen some large, wonderful builds from some of our most noteworthy builders with tons more bend in their models than this and no one says anything.  I think the question should be not so much if there is bend or not, but only comment if the amount of bend affects functions b/c of bending axles, gear connections, etc.  Which in the case of this build, clearly, it does not not.  

For my two cents, I love this set and the new app, motors, and hub.  I would really like to see a larger, 6 or seven axle mobile crane put out by TLG in the future with this new system.  Somewhere in the similar 4-5,000 piece range.

Edited by nerdsforprez

I wonder how the position of the linear actuators can be determined reliably. Or is it only guessed by the revolutions of the motors?

I won't buy this set as the R9800 doesn't interest me but I am excited about the new parts and look forward to future sets using them.

@Enantiomeer To me it looks a bit bent too.

Edited by dabo

57 minutes ago, Lipko said:

I wonder how the position of the linear actuators can be determined reliably. Or is it only guessed by the revolutions of the motors?

I wonder the same. Though in the German video @incognito posted above they show the superstructure rotation display and how it can be reset.

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

Or is it only guessed by the revolutions of the motors?

I think it’s this. That would explain why I read stuff on this forum somewhere about Control+ motors having position tracking

In the video of the crawler, we can see that there is an initialization phase in which the model do a few mouvements to calibrate the direction.

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

Probably a calibration when the brick is turned on. Like the 4x4 steering, pushing left to right and then determine the center.