4 minutes ago, allanp said:

That's one small step for Lego, one giant leap for Technic theme!

Will sets get even bigger? Will we be seeing sets with ten thousand parts at some point in the near future? *huh*

On that note, I know CLAAS and BMW haven't become recurring licenses, but I'm hoping that we'll get more Liebherr-branded stuff if this set takes off. Here's to a Liebherr T41-7! :moar:

2 hours ago, allanp said:

I think this is kinda inevitable, and actually a good thing.

Sets like the UCS millennium falcon and the Bugatti Chiron were also very expensive, and they sold incredibly well and made lots of money for Lego. I remember not being able to imagine such a large and AFOL aimed exclusive premium set such as the UCS millennium falcon being on regular toy store shelves. It seemed almost too special for that. So seeing 6 of em on the shelf at my local Smyths was surreal. And they are selling like hot cakes. So of course we are going to see more expensive sets. And yes, I personally think this is a good thing for a few reasons.

It is a sign that TLG are doing well and that there are many many people out there willing to spend lots of money on the brand which fuels our hobby. Lego benefits greatly from this obviously as it makes them more money, but we benefit from it as well as we get lots more new sets and parts to choose from and will continue to do so. Compare our situation as Lego fans to someone who is a knex or mechano fan and I think it's easy to see how much better we have it, how lucky we are that Lego is doing so well that we are pretty well assured of many years of lots of new sets to choose from, and that they can afford to look at the ideas and suggestions of AFOLs (whether it be sets from Lego ideas or ideas for new parts) and take a chance and put them into production for us to enjoy. I'm not trying to brag or anything as this is TLGs success after all. We are just the lucky beneficiaries. 

It's also worth noting that even though there are more expensive sets appearing, this doesn't mean we no longer have cheaper alternatives to choose from. And when inflation is taken into account price by unit of weight isn't increasing, we are getting additional more expensive but also larger and more impressive options to choose from, while still also having more affordable options. So really I don't see any logical reasons to complain (not saying you have complained but I've certainly seen lots of complaints about these larger sets), except perhaps if you're a collector who really wants to own a copy of every set from a particular theme. In that case, your wallet has my sympathy!

That's not to say I like this particular Liebherr set, but that fact that it exists as an option for me to freely choose to buy or not to buy doesn't bother me. In fact I'm glad that TLG is doing well enough to offer such a gigantic, expensive thing. Whether I like the set or not is irrelevant in that regard. I do have my concerns as to where Technic is going, but that's more to do with the lack of mechanical authenticity, colour barf (and how vastly inferior it is to having more numbered bags) and to some extent the ratio of building time spent on mechanisms compared to less interesting non mechanisms. The increasing size, price, part count isn't a concern I think. 

Interestingly when you consider the number of parts in these massive sets, the price per part should decrease due to scale (machine set up savings, etc) or so you would think. I have been involved with manufacturing for 20 yrs and the more expensive an item/high end product is the more margin is made due to those savings found in scale (it is not often passed on). Coupled with AFOL market growing the Lego group is focusing in on this audience we should expect more into the future. 

That said, I have the UCS Falcon, multiple BWE's and lots more, the Lebhierr is going on the top shelf!

4 hours ago, Timoonn said:

Thanks a lot! I can understand people who are frustrated with the lack of compatibility to power functions. Since I only have 3 motors that still work (just getting back into Lego Technic after a >20 years break), this is not really a problem for me personally.

In general, I must say the new system looks pretty fantastic. The Powered Up app (the one for the city trains / batmobile) already has a nice programming interface after the last update. I did not have time to play around with it yet, but apart from multi-hub connections, it seems to be able to do most of the stuff we would expect. I guess the Technic app (Control?+) will have multi-hub connections, since the Liebherr requires this. So, I'm looking forward to the introduction of Powered Up into Technic more and more. The Liebherr will probably be a cool demonstration of what the system can do, although I'm not sure it will come with sensors. But the Wedo/Boost sensors work with the Powered Up App, so that should work for Technic as well. So my project will be to make the Liebherr move autonomously, without bumping into walls etc. Should be fun!

Henning

On 5/18/2019 at 6:20 AM, HRU_Bricks said:

Interestingly when you consider the number of parts in these massive sets, the price per part should decrease due to scale (machine set up savings, etc) or so you would think. I have been involved with manufacturing for 20 yrs and the more expensive an item/high end product is the more margin is made due to those savings found in scale (it is not often passed on). Coupled with AFOL market growing the Lego group is focusing in on this audience we should expect more into the future. 

That said, I have the UCS Falcon, multiple BWE's and lots more, the Lebhierr is going on the top shelf!

Yes, it does. I have written this before, the price per piece or price per gram relationship is not linear.  Especially the price per piece.  The larger the set (for Technic) anyways, the ratio of pins in the set becomes higher.  Pins are cheap, light, therefore off-setting the overall price per piece.  

So we are thinking 1 hub in the track area powering left and right track drive and rotation.  Then the second hub in the superstructure, powering the 3 bucket movements and also an opening of the bucket?

14 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

So we are thinking 1 hub in the track area powering left and right track drive and rotation.  Then the second hub in the superstructure, powering the 3 bucket movements and also an opening of the bucket? 

Exactly. On port in the lower hub is spare. There is no wire-chaining of hubs due drilling through turntable. The chaining is done by the App

Since 42098 has the 2in1 logo in the catalogue, but 42099 and 42100 don't, and 42099 doesnt have a B model, this one most likely wont have one either.

It's a shame. I'd love to see a R9800 with the conventional backhoe configuration. :cry_sad:

24 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Since 42098 has the 2in1 logo in the catalogue, but 42099 and 42100 don't, and 42099 doesnt have a B model, this one most likely wont have one either.

It's a shame. I'd love to see a R9800 with the conventional backhoe configuration. :cry_sad:

Just build mod yourself, should be easy enough!

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

1 hour ago, vl_cn said:

A77E41B5-8A6B-4BBA-9325-5C2EB82FA973

Which catalog is this?

6 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Got an aircraft hangar on standby, have ya?

I actually genuinely don't have the space for this - I didn't have any space for 42055 either :tongue:

Edited by Bartybum

I wonder whether the shift from PF components will now mean that larger models will be the norm if wireless control is featured.

3 hours ago, CSX9992 said:

Which catalog is this?

@CSX9992 I am going to build a "Model B" variant Backhoe and have started. There is a link to the Rebrickable file on my Youtube video with the design update. 

On 6/6/2019 at 4:08 AM, paul_delahaye said:

Defiantly one Hub in the tracks and one in the main structure. I have done some discussion videos, here is the latest one