On 4/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, ShowsOn said:

So they're full of some sort of fire retardant foam?

They are most likely filled with fire retardant material for fuel/oil fires. These type of machines go up quickly. There is a few around on YouTube.  The concept is they fire is snuffed out before it takes hold saving the often expensive machine and production output

If these are fire extinquishers it are way to much,
cilinders of about one meter high, only one is allready more than enough to fill the entire engine room twice with foam.

For a giant set like this I would prefer a brick/technic built bucket than just a new part. The bucket is big enough to build it in some creative way.

20 minutes ago, pagicence said:

For a giant set like this I would prefer a brick/technic built bucket than just a new part. The bucket is big enough to build it in some creative way.

Yeah, but it would be heavy, and not as accurate as this new part

1 hour ago, HRU_Bricks said:

They are most likely filled with fire retardant material for fuel/oil fires. These type of machines go up quickly. There is a few around on YouTube.  The concept is they fire is snuffed out before it takes hold saving the often expensive machine and production output

See also https://www.wiejelo.com/succesvolle-blussing-van-een-liebherr-lh-974/

On 4/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, coinoperator said:

If these are fire extinquishers it are way to much,
cilinders of about one meter high, only one is allready more than enough to fill the entire engine room twice with foam.

They are indeed fire extinguishers. If it starts to burn it has to be put out.  Also the average 9L extinguisher only is good for 1m cube thank that's it.  

1 hour ago, pagicence said:

Amen to that.

59 minutes ago, HRU_Bricks said:

They are indeed fire extinguishers. If it starts to burn it has to be put out.  Also the average 9L extinguisher only is good for 1m cube thank that's it.  

But these are huge
Just look at the size compared to the raling.

lego-422100-technic-liebherr-bauma5.jpg

In the base it looks like some red things are meshing with a tan 20z gear. If they are regular red 16z clutch gear, then I don't understand why they are there though. They don't seem to mesh with any other gears.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Yes they are 16t gears, I would say there are 12T black bewel after them engaging with turntable. What I find rather strange is the construction of the front wheel holder - stack of three crossblocks attached by axle? to panel. This would be perfect place for new biscuit piece. Maybe this is still prelim build waiting for some parts?

After looking at it for some time I think that the red gears are 16 T red clutch gears and they are there to support the 20 T engaged with the inner turntable/slew. 

Interestingly the photo also shows that the inner turntable is 1 beam thickness lower than previously though and that there maybe another creative ideas for this arrangement. Note what looks like an axle in the same plan as the orange axle pins. 

Just some early thoughts

6 hours ago, ShowsOn said:

So they're full of some sort of fire retardant foam?

3 hours ago, HRU_Bricks said:

My first thought was that the tubes for the fire suppression system contain CO2 but I'm not sure how the internals are built and if CO2 would be efficient enough.

Edit: Also, CO2 doesn't leave a complete mess after use, meaning minimum downtime.

1 hour ago, HRU_Bricks said:

After looking at it for some time I think that the red gears are 16 T red clutch gears and they are there to support the 20 T engaged with the inner turntable/slew.

My thought as well.

Edited by zoo

3 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

Yes they are 16t gears, I would say there are 12T black bewel after them engaging with turntable.

Seems likely. The yellow 20t gear cannot be fixed from above, and there's quite some force on it.

1 hour ago, pleegwat said:

Seems likely. The yellow 20t gear cannot be fixed from above, and there's quite some force on it.

It can be fixed with this:

15462.png

18 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

It can be fixed with this:

15462.png

That might prevent axial movement but you also want to support the axle that goes through the gear wheel on both sides of the wheel.

Edited by zoo

41 minutes ago, zoo said:

That might prevent axial movement but you also want to support the axle that goes through the gear wheel on both sides of the wheel.

It could use double 1/2 yellow bushes on other side...but in 3 and a half months we will be smarter :wink:

1 hour ago, Lucullus said:

Looking forward to the first BWE Moc with this new bucket.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: me too..

100k pieces at least

So we have at least 6 long LAs.. I wonder how does the bucket moves..

1 hour ago, Jockos said:

100k pieces at least

The bigger the bucket, the bigger the moc. I'm foreseeing a lot of new big-big... big machines. :sweet:

Sorry to spoil the vibe, but I'm not that thrilled with the ever increasing size of official Technic models. If bigger models mean more or more realistic features, then I can accept the increased part count and higher price tag which comes with it. But I’m starting to dislike the TLG strategy of creating sets which are big simply for the sake of making bigger models than last year (which obviously sell well). The 42082 and the 42083 for example were huge and cool sets as well, but for their size and price, I was disappointed in their features and functions.

Essentially this 42100 set has no more functions than the 8043 did nine years ago. But the Liebherr set has over 3 times the amount of parts (1143 vs 4108) and will cost about three times the price (give or take). I get that the R9800 set is more detailed and it’s a bigger machine in real life. But this inflation in parts and price is worrying. To me, this price level is very steep for the play value it will provide. I’m not convinced it will be 3 times as fun as the 8043 to operate or give three times the joy to look at in an AFOL collection. I know for sure that the 42082 and 42083 didn’t, compared to older but similar sets, and I feel that I made a mistake to even have bought those sets.

At the moment, I think I will draw my personal line here and not buy this set. I can’t shake the feeling that €450 can give me a lot more joy in many other ways than getting this set.