22 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

But using BWE rings on this set would be a serious lapse in authenticity (as they would be way too big) as would using the z60 turntable (which would be too small). I think they might have added the turntable for that reason (it seems they are going all out in this model).

I can see two black BWE rings in the picture mentioned on previous page, the arm is 13-15 wide and superstructure seems like 25 studs wide. I believe there is same setup like on 42082.

About the turn table:

When I see these 2 photos, it seems that they are using 2 double wheels at each side:

turntable1a.jpg

turntable2a.jpg

So I tried to build the a similar upper part of the turn table:

turntable1b.jpg

turntable2b.jpg

Full upper part of the turn table:

turntable3.jpg

turntable4.jpg

My conclusion : No new big Lego thurn table, not the 42082 contruction, but a new combination of normal Lego thurn table and wheels.

@Pruimke in your first and second posted picture (of Liebherr...) there is something black and round below two wedge belt wheels, but I do not know if is it tile round or gear rack from 42082?

Edited by I_Igor

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

@Pruimke in your first and second posted picture (of Liebherr...) there is something black and round below two wedge belt wheels, but I do not know if is it tile round or gear rack from 42082?

The upper bit looks to be the same diameter as the curved gear rack so it very well may be

3 hours ago, Pruimke said:

About the turn table:

When I see these 2 photos, it seems that they are using 2 double wheels at each side:

turntable1a.jpg

turntable2a.jpg

So I tried to build the a similar upper part of the turn table:

turntable1b.jpg

turntable2b.jpg

Full upper part of the turn table:

turntable3.jpg

turntable4.jpg

My conclusion : No new big Lego thurn table, not the 42082 contruction, but a new combination of normal Lego thurn table and wheels.

4 gear racks fit into your interpretation here after a quick assembly. This may be precisely what TLG has done. Good catch here @Pruimke

9 hours ago, Bartybum said:

The upper bit looks to be the same diameter as the curved gear rack so it very well may be

My assumption was based on fact that I could not find round tile with similar diameter, so most logical explanation is that gear rack like on 42082 is used; at least as "track" on which wedge belt wheels are circulating. 

yes this is the same setup BWE uses. I don't like it very much, the single point of contact at quarter circle puts too much pressure on it. The solution with more rollers on 42082 is better. IMO the best solution would be to develop new part similar to 1x1 round tile but slightly smaller, that would fit into grove on gear rack and inserting a lot of such rollers along the whole circle. The weight of the supperstructure would spread much more evenly.

This design dose have more sway in it. The rough terrain crane has a better design out of the BWE and 42100 (if this is the way it is built and by the looks of the good work done it is very close). 

On the topic of large turntables/slews I did build a modified Rough Terrain rain out of my spare parts and came up with a variation to the base design that works really well, does not twist, distributes the weight well and is smooth when turning. Depending on how well the 42100 turns on the small points of contact it may need a bit of modifying....

All in all the 42100 is up there with the BWE of impressive sets 

IMG20180804182930.jpg

IMG20180804182920.jpg

3 hours ago, HRU_Bricks said:

This design dose have more sway in it. The rough terrain crane has a better design out of the BWE and 42100 (if this is the way it is built and by the looks of the good work done it is very close). 

On the topic of large turntables/slews I did build a modified Rough Terrain rain out of my spare parts and came up with a variation to the base design that works really well, does not twist, distributes the weight well and is smooth when turning. Depending on how well the 42100 turns on the small points of contact it may need a bit of modifying....

All in all the 42100 is up there with the BWE of impressive sets 

Normally you want the cage that contain the rollers to be able to rotate with respect to the rollerbearing surface. In your setup the red pinjoiners (?) have to slip across the yellow quadrants when they roll. With the low friction that LEGO has this probably is not a big issue as long as the vertical loads are limited. But for a high duty rollerbearing I would recommend a loose cage.

28 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Normally you want the cage that contain the rollers to be able to rotate with respect to the rollerbearing surface. In your setup the red pinjoiners (?) have to slip across the yellow quadrants when they roll. With the low friction that LEGO has this probably is not a big issue as long as the vertical loads are limited. But for a high duty rollerbearing I would recommend a loose cage.

This is my thought as well. Since the outer part of the yellow quadrants has a higher turning velocity than the inner part, you will need "rollers" that are either spherical or conical to minimize slipping.

@Jeroen Ottens I'm not sure what you mean by loose cage, care to elaborate?

The cage that keeps the rollers evenly spaced apart rotates, so it can't be directly fixed to the stationary lower half. But it also only rotates at half the speed of the rotating superstructure, so it can't be directly connected to that either. So in 42082 the cage isn't directly connected to either side of the bearing, it just kinda "floats" sandwiched between the two.

But the size of the cage makes it difficult to drive rotation on the gear ring - you have to drive it on the inner turntable instead which means higher torque.

EDIT: On further thinking, this model must be driving the inner turntable anyway if we're right in suspecting the track drive and superstructure rotation are off a hub in the lower body.

Edited by pleegwat

This doesn’t seem likely but what if we finally get beams longer than 15 studs. It would be nice if they released a 17 or 19 stud beam

1 hour ago, JackBloomer5 said:

This doesn’t seem likely but what if we finally get beams longer than 15 studs. It would be nice if they released a 17 or 19 stud beam

Such beans wouldn't be stiff enough. Even 15 stud beams tend to bend under big pressure.

I would rather get a bigger turning table as someone has mentioned in the topic.

4 hours ago, JackBloomer5 said:

Yes, that would be great. But there is no hint of that. So let's not speculate.

We're getting bigger frames (7x11 in white) which is already an awesome new beam-like part that would help us creating stronger structures. :)

I also expect the turntable to just be the standard 60-tooth version we know for a few years now. If aided by 4 banana gears, we know it can handle a lot :)

So how have you gentlemens' plans on cutting on daily cups of coffee been?

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

41 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So how have you gentlemens' plans on cutting on daily cups of coffee been?

So far it does not help ... we are more tired than before and always s"$#...happens :angry:

13 hours ago, I_Igor said:

A small glimpse into preparations for Bauma (9 - 14 April 2019)

https://www.bauma.de/trade-fair/photos-videos/photo-gallery/index.html#images-5

https://www.bauma.de/trade-fair/photos-videos/photo-gallery/index.html#images-16

...let's hope that 42100 set will be there

Very cool pics.  Thank you for sharing.  Wish I could be there. 

19 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Very cool pics.  Thank you for sharing.  Wish I could be there. 

Me to, despite that Munich is some 6 hours (with car) from me, but I have no time :sad:. I have a feeling that LEGO version could be made modular something like original. As time passes by I'm more and more interested in this set, specially when I have found out that there is a pure electric version, so LEGO model is in this aspect very good representation.

Regards