On 2/13/2019 at 12:56 AM, Frequenzberater said:

Yes, they are just for decoration and no, that is not the first time. 

1972 and 8860 comes to my mind :) 

How do you know for certain it's just decoration. Of all we know theres a compressor in the engine bay powering up something..

2 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

I also hear that's why TLG is reluctant to introduce a PF1/9v to PF2 conversion cable. If they do, then it allows those loopbacks again. It's important to remember that Lego, ultimately, is a child's toy. :) Even electronic components need to be safely usable by kids 5-10 years old.

Yes, I can see that. I don't hear anything from TLG other than what is officially available and even there I am not well informed. Maybe I should thus be a little more careful when phrasing things:blush:

However (there is always a however when it starts like this, isn't there?), what happened to plain vanilla "thinking"? Just plain, straight thinking? When wanting to create a PF reversing loop, you have to be at least a little creative. It's not that easy to do. You also need quite some components. And then: When the stuff breaks, you broke it. It is your fault. What happend to that line of thinking? I fried 9V switch point(s) myself - easily done with a reversing loop. It said on the instructions: >>>DON'T<<< do it. Then instructions may get lost or "thinking" evaporates into nowhere and then you literally can see the meltdown on the point. But: I was thinking: You (as in "me" and not "you":laugh:) >idiot<. I never thought: This is all TLG's fault. It was mine.

Oh well, times change, I know. And I can surely see what you are saying. In 1980 there were two 12V train plugs for "the kids" - and most of them (including me) didn't blow 12V stuff to heaven although it was much easier with the 12V/2A power supply back then. But yes: Today is today and not 1980.

2 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

(Incidentally I also hear that's part of the reason why 9v trains went away. Yes the rails were expensive, but also the exposed metal conducting electricity gave young kids shocks.)

This is interesting though. When any 9V power supply can create shocks it is not a 9V power supply anymore. The safe rating for not getting DC voltage shocks goes up to 42V. So maybe the power supply was faulty. But then: We can start suing TLG when they sell power supplies, e.g. for recharging: They may break. The chances are next to nothing, but the nothing is not zero. Thus, when they want to be on the safe side: Batteries only. But even then: Batteries may start to leak. When you swallow the amount of leaked stuff from lets say 1 PuP hub and 1 PuP remote (=10) batteries, its gonna be nasty. So better no batteries in PuP stuff. Which means no PuP stuff.

I know. This is not funny. It is meant to read funny (but it is not). I do really see what you are saying.

Everyday when I wake up I just am wondering, why did I survive the years I was a kid.

Best wishes,
Thorsten 

1 hour ago, Fieldtest said:

How do you know for certain it's just decoration. Of all we know theres a compressor in the engine bay powering up something..

Because there aren’t any functions controlled by pneumatics. It’s all linear actuators.

If anything, it makes replacing the LA’s by pneumatic cylinders a more attractive idea...

42 minutes ago, Fieldtest said:

Yes I see that but who knows where and what those hoses power up. And yes could be just cosmetic.

Why would they power anything up? They’re a cosmetic representation of the hydraulic hoses on the real thing. Logically they wouldn’t be connected to anything.

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Why would they power anything up? They’re a cosmetic representation of the hydraulic hoses on the real thing. Logically they wouldn’t be connected to anything.

Why wouldnt they power anything up ? Do you have the instructions to this model ? inside info that those hoses are not hooked up to anything or just assuming you already know that it's purely cosmetic? These hoses may be feeding something that we dont know yet. But again I assume nothing here.. soon well all find out. But this is getting interesting.

I'm on board with rener, I would like to see pneumatic powered boom, stick and bucket. 

On 1/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I'm sure this has been pointed out but isn't there a new turntable in that thing as well?

I think your right. I noticed the rollers below structure turning on a possible new turntable design or perhaps a supplementary system support for the older style turntable. Interesting though..

22 minutes ago, Fieldtest said:

Why wouldnt they power anything up ? Do you have the instructions to this model ?

Because I have a brain that can put 2 and 2 together.

1. In the video the hoses are symmetrically distributed across the boom, as are the LAs.

2. There’s no hydraulic functions in the real model that haven’t already been taken up by LAs that would even begin to suggest pneumatics.

3. In the video we even see hoses stop at the base of some LAs with open-ended T-piece hose mounts.

There’s zero reason to speculate about phantom pneumatic functions and plenty of evidence to suggest the tubes are just cosmetic. You don’t need to read instructions to be able to come to this conclusion.

6 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Because I have a brain that can put 2 and 2 together.

I'm glad you can add. I hope you can add.

1. In the video the hoses are symmetrically distributed across the boom, as are the LAs

Ok and your suggesting the hoses run to each cylinder, which is correct

2. There’s no hydraulic functions in the real model that haven’t already been taken up by LAs that would even begin to suggest pneumatics.

Assumptions are ridiculed for a reason.

3. In the video we even see hoses stop at the base of some LAs with open-ended T-piece hose mounts.

This model has displayed a variety of new lego parts, can we agree to this ? Are these t-pieces identical to the older style? 

There’s zero reason to speculate about phantom pneumatic functions and plenty of evidence to suggest the tubes are just cosmetic. You don’t need to read instructions to be able to come to this conclusion.

The only evidence i see is that there's a gear at the bottom of the LA which may be powered by a motor. At this stage of the info released by lego we can all assume until the full reveal. The hoses may certainly be cosmetic or maybe more to this than we know. The instructions will tell us both something that we dont know.

I must say if there were any pneumatic mechanisms whatsoever they would quite obviously be touted as a selling feature like 7 motors or two hubs or new longer LAs, since they are not it would be reasonable to assume there are none. That and the fact that there are none visible suggest that in fact there are none. However one can always hope. 

2 hours ago, Fieldtest said:

Assumptions are ridiculed for a reason.

As is unwarranted speculation, it goes both ways. I can't really imagine any functions that would need pneumatics that are hidden away inside the structure of the boom. This set also has seven motors, which directly corresponds to the amount of functions we know it has:

1. L track
  2. R track
  3. turntable
  4. boom shoulder joint
  5. boom elbow joint
  6. boom knuckle joint
  7. opening shovel

I'd argue it's much likelier that they've gone with a direct drive system of one motor per function to minimise backlash and part wear. In doing so that would discount there being a motorised compressor of any kind.

2 hours ago, Fieldtest said:

This model has displayed a variety of new lego parts, can we agree to this ? Are these t-pieces identical to the older style? 

We never disagreed on there being new pieces. However, these tee connectors are the same old DBG design.

38 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I must say if there were any pneumatic mechanisms whatsoever they would quite obviously be touted as a selling feature like 7 motors or two hubs or new longer LAs, since they are not it would be reasonable to assume there are none. That and the fact that there are none visible suggest that in fact there are none.

Pretty much.

@Fieldtest I'd gracefully back down on this one if i were you... Logically the evidence is massively against any kind of pneumatic function as @Bartybum detailed. Its not an assumption, which are dangerous, its a logical deduction which is different :wink:. No harm in fighting your corner of course! (in a respectful way, this is a friendly forum for the most part), but i think on this occasion its a slam-dunk, they're cosmetic... :classic:

2 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

@Fieldtest I'd gracefully back down on this one if i were you... Logically the evidence is massively against any kind of pneumatic function as @Bartybum detailed. Its not an assumption, which are dangerous, its a logical deduction which is different :wink:. No harm in fighting your corner of course! (in a respectful way, this is a friendly forum for the most part), but i think on this occasion its a slam-dunk, they're cosmetic... :classic:

This is why assumptions are allowed. Let the accusations light up. This wouldn't be my first time being wrong nor my last. 

This would be a great time for TLG to incorporate both electric and pneumatic killer combination in this new system. 

Cant wait !!

1 hour ago, Fieldtest said:

This is why assumptions are allowed. Let the accusations light up. This wouldn't be my first time being wrong nor my last. 

This would be a great time for TLG to incorporate both electric and pneumatic killer combination in this new system. 

Cant wait !!

I was very hopeful for this when first hearing about a new excavator and knowing they had released those new valves with the axle holes but alas, it's not to be this time. Who knows, maybe that was their original goal as it does seem logical. It would be awesome to finally get RC pneumatics and cylinders in those lengths, and to finally have an RC model that's actually mechanically authentic for once. And the hoses were used in earlier pneumatic prototypes but they couldn't get it quite right so they switched to LAs :sick: but left the hoses because they looked good. That's pure speculation though.

I would rather be happy to get "small", compact model with RC pneumatic. Maybe bulldozer with a size around 4/5 Arocs (best would be in the same scale)? I would like to see something like that instead of bigger and bigger models with the functionality of the smaller one.

Ooops! It is not the Technic discussion ;) Pardon. Of course I am waiting for that model, I will definitely buy it for reasonable ~300 euro, bo until that - not worth the money from technic point of view. For sure good set for collectors and people who loves to display the models.

Edited by blondasek
Oopsie

On 1/30/2019 at 3:31 AM, ifilin said:

Sheo built simillar excavator TerexRH400 early. It was on Rebrickable as MOC-1874, but now can't find it.

P.S. I've got the instructions for it.

Untitled.jpg

@ifilin    can you re-share the instructions on rebricable?                  

Great catch @Timoonn, I bet that this big panel on the back with '9800 Liebherr' is a giant door that allows access to both hubs

Image result for lego technic liebherr 9800 42100

2 hours ago, HRU_Bricks said:

@ifilin    can you re-share the instructions on rebricable?                  

I have the instructions on pdf. Send me a PM on how to send them to you. 

If there is indeed a new turntable, how big do you guys think it would be? The current big turntable has a 4L radius - 7L diameter and 60 teeth. Maybe 5L radius - 9L diameter and I dont know 84 teeth?

As we now have the BWE ring gears to make large slew rings I would be surprised if they released a new turntable for this set. But if they were to make one I suppose it would be designed to rotate freely while being under forces trying to pull it apart, as seen in 42082s turntable. The slew rings take all the weight but it's still up to the turntable to hold the two halves together. But is such a turntable needed? I think the current one is pretty smooth and strong, and 42082s jerky slewing wasn't down to the turntable IMHO. 

48 minutes ago, allanp said:

As we now have the BWE ring gears to make large slew rings I would be surprised if they released a new turntable for this set.

But using BWE rings on this set would be a serious lapse in authenticity (as they would be way too big) as would using the z60 turntable (which would be too small). I think they might have added the turntable for that reason (it seems they are going all out in this model).